Tyler47

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

I live in an are where denominations are VERY diverse.  I just read my Bible and take what God reveals to me.  I thought division was a bad thing?  If so, why do so many people associate as this or that?

It's to try us with.

See Jude 1 and especially note, there are some men of old ordained to the condemnation of being against Christ. That means God ordained a negative side to His Plan of Salvation through His Son Jesus Christ.

Early on in Israel's history, when God told them to destroy the pagan idolaters of the Canaanite nations, Israel failed to accomplish it. So God said He would leave them to dwell amongst Israel to see if they would follow Him or not (Judges 2 & 3). Canaanites tricked Joshua into making a pact, so they could dwell under Israel's safety (Judges 9). In 1 Kings 20, there they still are, as bondservants among Israel in Solomon's days. Eventually some of those Canaanites would become scribes (Kenites) and priests among Israel. Today it's impossible to discover who they are anymore. But at the end of Zech.14, our Heavenly Father showed after Christ's return, there will no more be the Canaanite in the house of The Lord. This is also the matter of the parable of the tares in the field by our Lord Jesus in Matthew 13. Tares are weeds that look just like real wheat during growing season, then exhibit black buds when fully grow so they can be recognized. In that parable our Lord Jesus said leave them alone, for His angels will separate them at harvest time (end of this world).

Thus our Heavenly Father and His Son will... allow us to become deceived if that's what we want. All we need do is not listen to Him in His Word, and instead listen to the many doctrines and traditions that men create instead.

How do we know then, when someone is pushing men's doctrines instead of God's Word as written? We each have to become a 'workman' in God's Word for ourselves, asking Him for understanding, and then disciplining ourselves in it. Using a simple 1611 KJV Bible and a valid Strong's Exhaustive Concordance with the Hebrew and Greek Lexicons is enough of the tools for English speaking peoples to become fairly well disciplined in God's Word, with the ability to verify for oneself. Think about it, most people in the Christian West have an average of 12 years of secular education, but very little education in God's Word chapter by chapter, line by line.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

I live in an are where denominations are VERY diverse.  I just read my Bible and take what God reveals to me.  I thought division was a bad thing?  If so, why do so many people associate as this or that?

Denominations are simply people coming together with others that they agree on.

For example Southern Baptists (with roots in the Anabaptist movement) typically believe in salvation through God's grace and not works, the trinity, the divinity of Jesus, the virgin birth, the blood atonement of Jesus at the cross, the bodily Resurrection of Jesus after 3 days, the inerrancy of Scripture, the autonomy of the local church, cooperation between churches, a focus on local and international missions, sanctity of life, traditional marriage, priesthood of the Believer, etc. They also believe the local church has two ordinances: the Lord's Supper (Communion) and Baptism (through immersion following belief in Jesus). Typically there are two roles in the local church: Pastor and Deacon/Elder. These roles are typically held by men.

The Methodists (with roots in the Calvinist movement) typically believe in salvation through God's grace and not works, the trinity, the divinity of Jesus, the virgin birth, the blood atonement of Jesus at the cross, the bodily Resurrection of Jesus after 3 days, an emphasis on church tradition, free will, and sacramental theology. There is typically a church order including priests, bishops, etc. Priests can be either men or women and are allowed to marry. Methodism has strong roots tied to the Anglican Church (Church of England). They also believe the local church has two ordinances: the Holy Communion (or Lord's Super) and Baptism (through immersion for adults or sprinkling for young children). Some Methodist groups believe in traditional marriage and the sanctity of life while others don't.

The Presbyterians (also with roots in the Calvinist movement and originated in the British Isles with strong roots with Scotlnad) typically believe in salvation through God's grace and not works, the trinity, the divinity of Jesus, the virgin birth, the blood atonement of Jesus at the cross, the bodily Resurrection of Jesus after 3 days, an emphasis the sovereignty of God (think Calvinism and predestination), and confessional tradition. There is typically a church order including priests, bishops, etc. Priests can be either men or women and are allowed to marry. They also believe the local church has two ordinances: the Holy Communion (or Lord's Super) and Baptism (through immersion for adults or sprinkling for young children). Presbyterian churches are governed by sessions led by courts (council) elders. Some Presbyterianism groups believe in traditional marriage and the sanctity of life while others don't.

I'll try to post more later about Lutherans, Assembly of God, Anglicans, etc.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/06/1990

There are a lot of belief clashes in my family and area that get heavily debated.  Maybe that has given me an unmerited competitive perspective on denominations.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

There are a lot of belief clashes in my family and area that get heavily debated.  Maybe that has given me an unmerited competitive perspective on denominations.  

It should give that perspective. And that's a pointer to not allow yourself to get wrapped up in all that, but instead stay within God's Holy Writ for yourself. One of the worst attitudes a believer on Christ Jesus can have is to think they must rely on some Church system, or denomination, etc., to interpret God's Word for them and tell them what it says. Christ expects us to verify for ourselves, as He is Who gives us to understand, not men. He provides teachers and pastors that can help, but we are still to put our trust in Him and verify for ourselves. Many think our Lord will not show us as individual believers, thinking we must completely rely on a pastor or elders of a Church.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

division can be bad. Often when we see the bible talking about unity it is not talking about having the exact same set of beliefs as everyone else. It is usually talking about loving one another and that if we don't do this then it can affect our witness. Just because people think a different way is best does not mean they are not trying to get to the same place. Like a road trip. One can take a bus and get there while another could take a car and get to the same place.

Lot's of things are heavily debated in Christendom. End times doctrine, God's sovereignty & free will, baptism, communion, worship styles, worship order, church organization, church discipline, etc.

So what is your point Tyler? Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. :help:

God bless,

GE

division can be bad. Often when we see the bible talking about unity it is not talking about having the exact same set of beliefs as everyone else. It is usually talking about loving one another and that if we don't do this then it can affect our witness. Just because people think a different way is best does not mean they are not trying to get to the same place. Like a road trip. One can take a bus and get there while another could take a car and get to the same place.

Good analogy. :thumbsup: