IGNORED

How has the 'Industrial Revolution' Helped / Hurt America?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Nobody has a clue huh?

First off, I whole-heartedly, believe in Capitalism and the Entrepreneural spirit.

The Industrial Revolution led to mass production and factories. Then the first Labor unions began to pop up,which, in the beginning had a just cause, unions began to stand up for workers rights. Shorter shifts, better wage, benefits, all very humble grievances, which made for a better worker because they brought home more and they had somebody looking out for them. Alas, because of money and power the union got corrupted and began lobbing politians corrupting them by bribe (kickback). Union bosses back candidate who would in turn vote for their favorite agendas, so became policy changers. This hurt America.

That all you got?

What you mention is a smidgen, a jot, an iota of what the steam age actually accomplished :cool2:

Only first installment. :,)

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Nobody has a clue huh?

LoL!  Because nobody gave you any specific answer, you think we don't have a clue? Pretty daring statement.

With all due respect, season it as you like it, God is witness, my heart does not convict me.

Just going by your own words, my friend.  As I stated earlier, what this has done to this world is very vast, and I asked you to narrow down what you wanted to discuss.  The pause was waiting for your response.  If you take it at its full value, one could write a book on how the industrial revolution has changed the world.

I have something to say about that, but I want to hear from you all.

http://www.history.com/topics/industrial-revolution

As I stated, In the OP, I was going to hold off until others posted first? I will be 66 on the 24th and I am not as quick of mind as I used to be, from now on, I will remember what is protocol.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/21/1945

The industrial revolution along with the scientific revolution has made life more comfortable but more dangerous for most people.
At the heart of the industrial revolution is the drive for increasing efficacy The modern drive for ever increasing efficiency usually has a Faustian shadow effect; Wal-mart buying its products from foreign countries like China in order to reduce costs caused a problematic trade imbalance.  

I was heavily depend upon the contribution of others.

The age of the Industrial Revolution was the infancy of the down fall of the Mom and Pop business' and the beginning of the power industries.

I clearly didn't think this thread out, I was too hasty, and I am out of my depth and over my head.

The industrial revolution along with the scientific revolution has made life more comfortable but more dangerous for most people.

At the heart of the industrial revolution is the drive for increasing efficacy The modern drive for ever increasing efficiency usually has a Faustian shadow effect; Wal-mart buying its products from foreign countries like China in order to reduce costs caused a problematic trade imbalance.

Thank you, gamnot, for your thoughts,

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

The Industrial Revolution began a time of great prosperity to this country, what else did it bring?

I have something to say about that, but I want to hear from you all.

http://www.history.com/topics/industrial-revolution

Positives

1) Improved peoples' daily lives

2) Transportation and technology (mass production, spinning jenny, electricity, railroads, fossil fuels, automobiles, telephone)

3) Jobs (Shift from agricultural society to a manufacturing society. More jobs meant potentially more income and upward mobility)

Negatives

1) Environmental Concerns (pollution)

2) Exploitation (long hours, dangerous working conditions, no minimum wage laws were in effect, physical and emotional abuse by management, children worked long hours too)

3) Political corruption

Reaction to these issues were the rise of unions. Unions have had both positive and negative effects on the economy and culture.

This are my initial thoughts He Giveth More Grace. :)

God bless,

GE

The age of the Industrial Revolution was the infancy of the down fall of the Mom and Pop business' and the beginning of the power industries.

I clearly didn't think this thread out, I was too hasty, and I am out of my depth and over my head.

Not really.  If you want to discuss how big business has overthrown the little people, that is one area we can discuss!

Where I grew up, there were many farms in the area.  Fresh vegetables and milk were the norm.  The milk man would come three times a week to pick up the empty bottles and leave fresh milk, fresh enough to have to skim the cream off the top.  Fresh veggies would be picked up at the local stand.  Everyone sold what they produced.  The local meat market had fresh meat cut daily.  Eggs where gathered that morning.  We made our own ice cream and maple syrup. Even the furniture was carefully made by hand.  I remember watching my grandfather work wood until it fit just right.

Now, everything is processed and contains preservatives so they can last longer on the store shelves.  Furniture is no more than pressed sawdust, glued together, unless you happen to have a well paying job to buy real wood articles, but then again, most furniture you buy is massed produced.  Meat is injected with dye to make it look better.  Everything has a date stamped on it. 

I miss the old days, to be honest.

GE, one word ... STRESS!

The human body is designed to experience stress and react to it. Stress can be positive, keeping us alert and ready to avoid danger. Stress becomes negative when a person faces continuous challenges without relief or relaxation between challenges. As a result, the person becomes overworked and stress-related tension builds.

Stress that continues without relief can lead to a condition called distress -- a negative stress reaction. Distress can lead to physical symptoms including headaches, upset stomach, elevated blood pressure, chest pain, and problems sleeping. Research suggests that stress also can bring on or worsen certain symptoms or diseases.

Stress also becomes harmful when people use alcohol, tobacco, or drugs to try to relieve their stress. Unfortunately, instead of relieving the stress and returning the body to a relaxed state, these substances tend to keep the body in a stressed state and cause more problems. Consider the following:

• Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
  • Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor's office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
  • Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
  • The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
  • The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.

We may be more comfortable, but at a price ...

I miss the old days, to be honest.
I feel your pain, I am pained for the old days as well. Good post.

I can't really bite the hand that fed me, Ethyl Corp and their technologies provided well for my dad's table, until EPA cut out lead in gasoline. Ethyl produce an anti-knock formula that the Feds didn't like. So, the revolution was in ways good.