IGNORED

How has the 'Industrial Revolution' Helped / Hurt America?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Yes, it has made our lives very comfortable.  We no longer have to warm the water to take a bath, we can turn a faucet to get hot water, we can flick a switch to have light, and remain nice and toasty as the winter storm rages outside.  We no longer have to walk long distances if we choose not to, nor take care of livestock and toil the ground.  Those are just a few basic comforts it brought.

Yet, this life has robed us of a full understanding of what it takes to have to survive.  We no longer have to take the lives of animals to have meat.  We can just hop in our car, drive to the store, and buy it.  Our ancestors knew that in order for one life to continue, it meant the taking of another life, be it an animal. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

GE, one word ... STRESS!

The human body is designed to experience stress and react to it. Stress can be positive, keeping us alert and ready to avoid danger. Stress becomes negative when a person faces continuous challenges without relief or relaxation between challenges. As a result, the person becomes overworked and stress-related tension builds.

Stress that continues without relief can lead to a condition called distress -- a negative stress reaction. Distress can lead to physical symptoms including headaches, upset stomach, elevated blood pressure, chest pain, and problems sleeping. Research suggests that stress also can bring on or worsen certain symptoms or diseases.

Stress also becomes harmful when people use alcohol, tobacco, or drugs to try to relieve their stress. Unfortunately, instead of relieving the stress and returning the body to a relaxed state, these substances tend to keep the body in a stressed state and cause more problems. Consider the following:

• Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
  • Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor's office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
  • Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
  • The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
  • The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.

We may be more comfortable, but at a price ...

i quit working from a 38 year career in a very stressful Job.....   within six weeks my normal blood pressure went from a average of 110/75 to about 180/120 when I don't take Losartan....     go figure....

Sometimes stress really does keep us going.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

GE, one word ... STRESS!

The human body is designed to experience stress and react to it. Stress can be positive, keeping us alert and ready to avoid danger. Stress becomes negative when a person faces continuous challenges without relief or relaxation between challenges. As a result, the person becomes overworked and stress-related tension builds.

Stress that continues without relief can lead to a condition called distress -- a negative stress reaction. Distress can lead to physical symptoms including headaches, upset stomach, elevated blood pressure, chest pain, and problems sleeping. Research suggests that stress also can bring on or worsen certain symptoms or diseases.

Stress also becomes harmful when people use alcohol, tobacco, or drugs to try to relieve their stress. Unfortunately, instead of relieving the stress and returning the body to a relaxed state, these substances tend to keep the body in a stressed state and cause more problems. Consider the following:

• Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
  • Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor's office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
  • Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
  • The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
  • The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.

We may be more comfortable, but at a price ...

i quit working from a 38 year career in a very stressful Job.....   within six weeks my normal blood pressure went from a average of 110/75 to about 180/120 when I don't take Losartan....     go figure....

Sometimes stress really does keep us going.

Interesting.  You probably need to work, contribute in some way, to feel "normal of useful" ... but that is not a guess.  On the other hand, stress at work, and home, elevate my blood pressure to very high levels for skinny ol' me.