• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 24

Many people try to make Matthew 24 about the church/Christians/believers but I do not believe they can make a convincing argument with scripture for that assertion but I am willing to be proven wrong, if, you have something more than just your opinions and can answer my questions, all of them, can you?

24:1  Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him.

2 And He said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down."

1) A Jewish Rabbi, talking to His Jewish disciples about the Jewish temple, does anyone see the church in there?

Jewish = 1     church = 0

3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

2) Jews sitting on the Mount of Olives and the disciples are asking about the destruction of their temple when it will happen, how does the church figure into this?

Jewish = 2     church = 0

4 And Jesus answered and said to them, " See to it that no one misleads you.

5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.

6 "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.

7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.

8 " But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

3) Do you see any reference to the church in those verses? No, neither do I.

Jewish = 3     church = 0

9 " Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.

4) Is Jesus still talking to the Jews, did they suffer tribulation, death and hatred by all nations because of Jesus’ name? Can that be said about the church, is the church hated by all nations because of Jesus’ name?

Jewish = 4     church = 0

10 "At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

11 "Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.

5) At that time, what time? The answer is a few verses down. Are prophets associated more with the church or with the Jews? How can a false prophet cause the church to be mislead?

Jewish = 5     church = 0

12 "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.

13 " But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.

6) Can you quote scripture that states the church must endure to the end to be saved? Is a person saved when they accept Christ and are they part of the church at that time?

Jewish = 6     church = 0

14 "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

7) Would you say that is a good hint as to when the end will come?

15 "Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place ( let the reader understand),

8) Abomination of desolation standing in the holy place spoken through Daniel, what does that have to do with the church? Since Jesus specifically referenced the prophet Daniel and the Jewish temple, so would this be important to the church or to the Jews?

8a) Does Daniel 9:27 and Matthew 24:15 make the timing of the GT perfectly clear as well as who it pertains to?

Jewish = 7     church = 0

16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

9) Is the church only in Judea and why would it need to flee to the mountains? What about the church in other locales, to where would they flee?  They would not, this is clearly addressed to the Jews of Judea which in the time this was written referred to Israel.

9a) This is not the first time that the Jews had to flee Jedia.

Then the LORD will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights in the day of battle. On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the LORD my God will come, and all the holy ones with him. (Zechariah 14:3-5)

9b) Is there anything whatsoever to do with believers?

Jewish = 8     church = 0

17 " Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house.

10) How many believers do you know that use their “housetops”, in comparison to the custom of many homes in Israel in Biblical times, that use the housetop as a patio or porch?  

Jewish = 9     church = 0

18 " Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak.

19 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!

11) Can you explain how either of these admonishments can apply to believers?

Jewish = 10   church = 0

20 "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.

12) Believers cover most of the world so why would it make any difference to those in Australia if it was winter in Judea? The mountains in Judea can be treacherous in the winter so it could make a huge difference for them.

12a) Why would believers be concerned about fleeing on the Sabbath? Whereas, Jews were forbidden to go more than 1000 paces on the Sabbath. Does this make sense for believers or, for Jews?

Jewish = 11   church = 0

21 "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.

13) Daniel 9:24-27, Matthew 24 and Revelation 6 -18, very clearly establishes the time frame for the GT as spoken of by Jesus. Matthew 24 is about the Jews in the “last days” and has nothing whatsoever to do with believers other than informational purposes as to God’s plan for His chosen people. If those who believe differently can provide plausible, scriptural, as it is written, answers to the questions asked, you would convince me that I am wrong in my interpretation.

It is true that much of Matt 24 had a Judeo-centric context. Geographically we see Jerusalem, the mount of Olives, Judea mentioned, and of course the disciples are Jews.

However, not only is Jesus speaking to Jew, He is speaking to His disciples, the first of His church.

9“Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name10At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11“Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.12“Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13“But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. 14This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come. 15Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION   . . .

Now, who better fits? Is it the Jews who are killed for Jesus name? Christians bear the anme of Christ, non Christian Jews do not. Are these disciples going to see the abomination of desolation? What you believe about that, depends on the predjudices you come to the passage with.

If you come to the passage with 19th Century dispensational doctrine, that sees clear cut Jews / Gentiles / Church / Ages separations, then of course you will see it the way you are.

What I see, when viewing it through my particular, non-dispensational glasses, is that the people who are gathered up to be with Jesus, are the Elect, Jesus come in the clouds visible, with Angels, a Trumper, a Shout etc. This sounds stunningly familiar to other passages. While you may be able to detect secret invisible comings, and silent shouts and silent trumpets etc, my imagination is not that vivid.

You have your little Jewish/Church scorecard, because you assume the church is not pictured, and are arguing from silence. The question here is basically, "Who are the Elect. You can make a case for the Elect being the Jews, because that is of course Biblical. It is equally true, the the Church are refereed to as the Elect, through most of the New Testament.

It is not Matt 24 which determines who is who, it is Matt 24 that is the starting place for investigation, and it is a rich starting place, just don't omit the manifold passages that would seem to make better sense with a church raptured after the trib scenario, and be particulary careful, not to read into context, an imminent return of Christ that is not actually expressed. The end times as a whole, are imminent, but His return had/has things that must happen first. Matt 24 lists many of them as long as you do not force a pretrib understanding on it.

I was just (coincidentally) reading in a book called "the Rapture Question" by the great pre-trib theologian John F. Walvoord, He has a chapter there called 50 arguments for pretribulationism. Sadly, as great a mind as Dr. Walvoord is, he really fails in this chapter. I agree you might call them arguments, but many of them are not only not proofs, they are not even evidences, The are assertions of his, made from his assumptions and not from the texts themselves. The are sometimes arguments agains other positions, like mid-tribulationism, and some of them are even, dare I say it, lies about church history of doctrine, that he himself contradicts. I don't get it.

I invite you to come to the chat trivia event (in the calendar section) scheduled for Sept 5th, to see how well you can answer questions on this topic, which will be limited to what the text actually says, not about what people suppose the texts mean, you might win a prize, if you are good at it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Matthew 24

Many people try to make Matthew 24 about the church/Christians/believers but I do not believe they can make a convincing argument with scripture for that assertion but I am willing to be proven wrong, if, you have something more than just your opinions and can answer my questions, all of them, can you?

24:1  Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him.

2 And He said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down."

1) A Jewish Rabbi, talking to His Jewish disciples about the Jewish temple, does anyone see the church in there?

3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

2) Jews sitting on the Mount of Olives and the disciples are asking about the destruction of their temple when it will happen, how does the church figure into this?

5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.

6 "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.

7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.

9 " Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.

4) Is Jesus still talking to the Jews, did they suffer tribulation, death and hatred by all nations because of Jesus’ name? Can that be said about the church, is the church hated by all nations because of Jesus’ name?

10 "At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

5) At that time, what time? The answer is a few verses down. Are prophets associated more with the church or with the Jews? How can a false prophet cause the church to be mislead?

6) Can you quote scripture that states the church must endure to the end to be saved? Is a person saved when they accept Christ and are they part of the church at that time?

14 "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

15 "Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place ( let the reader understand),

8) Abomination of desolation standing in the holy place spoken through Daniel, what does that have to do with the church? Since Jesus specifically referenced the prophet Daniel and the Jewish temple, so would this be important to the church or to the Jews?

8a) Does Daniel 9:27 and Matthew 24:15 make the timing of the GT perfectly clear as well as who it pertains to?

9) Is the church only in Judea and why would it need to flee to the mountains? What about the church in other locales, to where would they flee?  They would not, this is clearly addressed to the Jews of Judea which in the time this was written referred to Israel.

Then the LORD will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights in the day of battle. On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the LORD my God will come, and all the holy ones with him. (Zechariah 14:3-5)

17 " Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house.

10) How many believers do you know that use their “housetops”, in comparison to the custom of many homes in Israel in Biblical times, that use the housetop as a patio or porch?  

19 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!

Jewish = 10   church = 0

12) Believers cover most of the world so why would it make any difference to those in Australia if it was winter in Judea? The mountains in Judea can be treacherous in the winter so it could make a huge difference for them.

12a) Why would believers be concerned about fleeing on the Sabbath? Whereas, Jews were forbidden to go more than 1000 paces on the Sabbath. Does this make sense for believers or, for Jews?

Jewish = 11   church = 0

21 "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.

13) Daniel 9:24-27, Matthew 24 and Revelation 6 -18, very clearly establishes the time frame for the GT as spoken of by Jesus. Matthew 24 is about the Jews in the “last days” and has nothing whatsoever to do with believers other than informational purposes as to God’s plan for His chosen people. If those who believe differently can provide plausible, scriptural, as it is written, answers to the questions asked, you would convince me that I am wrong in my interpretation.

And what I say unto you I say unto allWatch.

Who are the elect ? The Jews or Gentiles or the church  thanks 

Matthew 24

Jewish = 10   church = 0

Jewish = 11   church = 0

Yes,Jesus was speaking to his flock present and future.

The jews have taken an opposite side to Jesus. 

But not all christians are the elect. There are only 144k elect.

jesse.

It is true that much of Matt 24 had a Judeo-centric context. Geographically we see Jerusalem, the mount of Olives, Judea mentioned, and of course the disciples are Jews.

However, not only is Jesus speaking to Jew, He is speaking to His disciples, the first of His church.

9“Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name10At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11“Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.12“Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13“But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. 14This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come. 15Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION   . . .

Now, who better fits? Is it the Jews who are killed for Jesus name? Christians bear the anme of Christ, non Christian Jews do not. Are these disciples going to see the abomination of desolation? What you believe about that, depends on the predjudices you come to the passage with.

If you come to the passage with 19th Century dispensational doctrine, that sees clear cut Jews / Gentiles / Church / Ages separations, then of course you will see it the way you are.

What I see, when viewing it through my particular, non-dispensational glasses, is that the people who are gathered up to be with Jesus, are the Elect, Jesus come in the clouds visible, with Angels, a Trumper, a Shout etc. This sounds stunningly familiar to other passages. While you may be able to detect secret invisible comings, and silent shouts and silent trumpets etc, my imagination is not that vivid.

You have your little Jewish/Church scorecard, because you assume the church is not pictured, and are arguing from silence. The question here is basically, "Who are the Elect. You can make a case for the Elect being the Jews, because that is of course Biblical. It is equally true, the the Church are refereed to as the Elect, through most of the New Testament.

It is not Matt 24 which determines who is who, it is Matt 24 that is the starting place for investigation, and it is a rich starting place, just don't omit the manifold passages that would seem to make better sense with a church raptured after the trib scenario, and be particulary careful, not to read into context, an imminent return of Christ that is not actually expressed. The end times as a whole, are imminent, but His return had/has things that must happen first. Matt 24 lists many of them as long as you do not force a pretrib understanding on it.

I was just (coincidentally) reading in a book called "the Rapture Question" by the great pre-trib theologian John F. Walvoord, He has a chapter there called 50 arguments for pretribulationism. Sadly, as great a mind as Dr. Walvoord is, he really fails in this chapter. I agree you might call them arguments, but many of them are not only not proofs, they are not even evidences, The are assertions of his, made from his assumptions and not from the texts themselves. The are sometimes arguments agains other positions, like mid-tribulationism, and some of them are even, dare I say it, lies about church history of doctrine, that he himself contradicts. I don't get it.

I invite you to come to the chat trivia event (in the calendar section) scheduled for Sept 5th, to see how well you can answer questions on this topic, which will be limited to what the text actually says, not about what people suppose the texts mean, you might win a prize, if you are good at it.

Hello Omeganman,

1) Thank you for your interesting comments. However, you did not answer the questions asked, therefore, I still like my argument better and I see no reason to make any adjustments. I am going to take the liberty to paste in my comments from another posts. Not to be confrontational,  just stating my perspective.

I approach a discussion just as is done in an investigation, in a classroom or in a court of law. Truth and facts, as well as the knowledge of the subject, is determined by asking questions and getting answers that can be verified. If the person cannot, or refuses to answer questions, their credibility and/or knowledge of the subject is extremely suspect IMV.

Matthew 24

Jewish = 10   church = 0

Jewish = 11   church = 0

I would be thrilled to answer your questions…..just as soon as you answer the ones in my post. To give you a hint, Replacement Theologians cannot prove their position with scripture without making God out to be a liar and untrustworthy, IMO.  

The abomination of desolation will be the new temple; when it is set up.

The false prophet will claim that for himself,and will sit in the temple as god.

But first the dome sitting on the foundation must be destroyed. That will cause the 3rd ww.

jesse.

jesse.  

Hi Jesse, am I correct in taking you to be a JW? If so, a couple of years ago, a JW elder who had relatives that worked in the WTS headquarters, approached me about having a discussion to see who could prove their position with scripture. He requested that we use emails to conduct the discussion, which we did for several months. He dropped out without a word when I presented my scriptural evidence that the Jews are still God's chosen people and he could not answer my questions.

How about you, are you confident that you can prove that your church has replaced the Jew's in God's plan? If interested, I will agree to answer all of your questions, address every point and provide scripture, just as it is written, for evidence, if, you will agree to respond in like manner. What say you?

BTW, why did you choose to not answer the questions in my post? If there are too many, feel free to take them one at a time.

Edited by tevans9129

The abomination of desolation will be the new temple; when it is set up.

The false prophet will claim that for himself,and will sit in the temple as god.

But first the dome sitting on the foundation must be destroyed. That will cause the 3rd ww.

jesse.

Would I be out of line Jesse in saying that you apparently do not believe that Jesus said what He meant and He means what He said?

If you have no interest in answering questions and providing scriptural proof, then I accept your comments as your opinions only, not supported with scripture, is that fair?

jesse.  

Hi Jesse, am I correct in taking you to be a JW? If so, a couple of years ago, a JW elder who had relatives that worked in the WTS headquarters, approached me about having a discussion to see who could prove their position with scripture. He requested that we use emails to conduct the discussion, which we did for several months. He dropped out without a word when I presented my scriptural evidence that the Jews are still God's chosen people and he could not answer my questions.

How about you, are you confident that you can prove that your church has replaced the Jew's in God's plan? If interested, I will agree to answer all of your questions, address every point and provide scripture, just as it is written, for evidence, if, you will agree to respond in like manner. What say you?

BTW, why did you choose to not answer the questions in my post? If there are too many, feel free to take them one at a time.

Tevans.9129.

No, I dont belong to any denomination,and  I am totally opposed to jw's teachings.

Can you state your question again? I must have missed it ,please.

jesse.