• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

At my job, Everyone hangs out with the boss, and puts her on fb. I think a boss is a boss not a friend. I also think adding your boss on fb is a mistake. Should a boss be a friend.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

After work I don't see any problem wit socializing, but ground rules should be laid that we I am dealing with that person as supervision and superior and all friend is not in play.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,036
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Tiger, I think it would depend on the two people....   I have worked with people who were my direct manager and we were very good friends......    but we had an understanding that most people don't have.....    Number one he never told me to do anything.....  period.       But I never refused anything that he/she told me needed to be done or make happen.

As time went along and we went to self managing workgroups, they would just leave us email that such and such needed to happen and our workgroup with no one in charge made it happen.....    Even in a huge corporation as Xerox was it made for a very pleasant work environment pertaining to company stuff........      Dealing with angry customers was a way different thing.....   but we learned ways around that also.

The managers that ran roughshod over people didn't last long there.....   Most of the people socialized with the management within our organization and it worked very well.   However Xerox was very very selective about who they hired.   

So it would just depend on the two people and the circumstances.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

I would say no.  I don't want my boss having access to anything in my personal life and he knows next to nothing about me outside the company. I don't discuss anything of a personal nature (family's names, occupations, religion, politics, etc.)  at work, with anyone.  You'd be amazed how much people divulge to relative strangers.  I deactivated my FB account (not for that reason) but I wouldn't 'friend' him, or anyone I work with, if it was still active.  Personal info can be used against you in a corporate culture.  Best to keep a healthy distance with bosses and co-workers.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

A lot depends on the job. If its a large company I don't socialize with the boss much. But like where I'm at now-smaller company, add into that my job field let's me work independently from my immediate supervisors the vast majority of the time without needing any input from them, well I have no issues with hanging out with my boss after work. Though as a general rule I never have them in Facebook until they are no longer my boss.