IGNORED

Re: Divorced Pastor's Continuing to Pastor.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

In the Southern Baptist Denomination there is a "law" that when a Pastor gets a divorce (even though no fault of his own) that he is then disallowed from Pastoring. I don't hold to this belief and believe that it is the commandment of Man.

I know the verse regarding the qualification that says, "...the husband of one wife..."

So, I am asking, Is God's call conditional, I don't say that some men should step down because of gross sin. There are some genuinely called men whom God has used, that has been gifted, that has won souls, who through no fault of their own their wife's left them, or the love is gone and they are married in name only.

God says that his gifts and callings are without repentance

I know such a man who's wife stated that she did't want to be married to a Pastor. She always had migraines or something at his first church since seminary, God is judge about the truth of that. He had to leave the Church to save his marriage, as he confided to my mother. Since then he separated (I have no knowledge of a divorce), but if he is divorced then that is the end of his Pastoral Ministry. His first church was so loving of him and was so good for him and it killed him to leave.

I don't believe every divorced Pastor should not be prohibited from Pastoring.

Oh, the wife of my former Pastor, she has recovered from all her health issues once she got back to Mississippi, Momma and Daddy, and all else.

Opinions vary, I personally believe the that the instruction that "he be the husband of one wife" is primarily an instruction against leadership being polygamous, just as polygamy was forbidden to Kings in the Old Testament.

Also, we are probably looking for faithful leaders, not those who run around, unable to be with just one woman, or otherwise be too distracted. Paul said he preferred people to remain single, so they could be fully devoted to the Lord.

In a similar way, there is an instruction that a leader not be "given to much wine". Some of those denominations try to maintain the notion, that wine in the Bible, is just grape juice, not alcoholic. Seriously? Not given to much grape juice? Clearly we want people of integrity, faithfulness, devotion and moral clarity - having been divorced does not mean these qualities are lacking.

I wonder if these people consider divorce to be a worse sin than having innocent Christians murdered. I suspect that when it comes down to it, Paul himself might not be up to the standards some people require.

I agree Omegaman, thanks.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings He giveth more Grace

Once again,I believe Omega is spot on .......boy oh boy,people sure do know how to block their on blessings ,don't they?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Blessings He giveth more Grace

Once again,I believe Omega is spot on .......boy oh boy,people sure do know how to block their on blessings ,don't they?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thanks and love, kwik.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

In the Southern Baptist Denomination there is a "law" that when a Pastor gets a divorce (even though no fault of his own) that he is then disallowed from Pastoring. I don't hold to this belief and believe that it is the commandment of Man.

Hi He giveth more grace, The "law" in the Southern Baptist Denomination that says-- that when a Pastor gets a divorce (even though no fault of his own) that he is then disallowed from Pastoring.   Is a law that was made by the governing body of that particular denomination to abide by.  Of course it is a man made law but all church denominations have their own set of by laws that governs the body or it's members.  Especially if the Churches have the (501c3) non profit status with the state and federal government because they are required by law to have a set of by laws.  There are a lot of man made rules that are not found in the Bible that become part of a denominations by laws that govern the Church body.  There are various reasons why some laws have been adopted so not all man made by laws are bad per say.  But not wanting to go into that to deep.

But this particular denomination in which you speak about does have this particular law pertaining to Pastors who get divorced while they are in the office of Pastor cannot hold their office any longer and must step down.  Whenever this particular person (Pastor) joined this denomination as a member they agreed to abide by the laws of the Church and had knowledge of this law.  So within that denomination it would be right for him to step down from being the Pastor within the Southern Baptist Denomination though it was no fault of his own because as I said he agreed when joining to abide by the laws of the denomination.  So he should do so and remain a member in good standing.

I know the verse regarding the qualification that says, "...the husband of one wife..."

So, I am asking, Is God's call conditional, I don't say that some men should step down because of gross sin. There are some genuinely called men whom God has used, that has been gifted, that has won souls, who through no fault of their own their wife's left them, or the love is gone and they are married in name only.

God says that his gifts and callings are without repentance

I know such a man who's wife stated that she did't want to be married to a Pastor. She always had migraines or something at his first church since seminary, God is judge about the truth of that. He had to leave the Church to save his marriage, as he confided to my mother. Since then he separated (I have no knowledge of a divorce), but if he is divorced then that is the end of his Pastoral Ministry. His first church was so loving of him and was so good for him and it killed him to leave.

I don't believe every divorced Pastor should not be prohibited from Pastoring.

You are correct in that the gifts and callings of God are without repentance.  The Lord gifts and calls us as he wants us to be for his purpose and if we are called to preach we will have that call upon our lives until we die.  The same way with teaching or any of the other gifts.  While this particular person may have to step down in the office of Pastor within the Southern Baptist Denomination he still can go else where and be in the office of a pastor.  As long as there was biblical reasons for the divorce in God's Word like adultery and abandonment and not just for any ole reason.  The office of Bishop and Deacon carries the stipulation of having only one wife in my understanding the office of a pastor is a seperate office than that of bishop, deacon or elder.

But if a pastor gets divorced without having biblical reasons for doing so then they should step down from their position no matter what denomination they are part of in my personal opinion.  The integrity of those in leadership should be seen in the lives they live before us as examples of the flock of God.  But this pastor you speak of his wife left him and that is abandonment and a biblical reason for divorce.  However in his denomination he may lose his position because they don't allow it and he agreed to those terms when he became a member of that Church body.  So he should step down.  But this is just my personal opinion of what information you have given to go on and I do not know all of the details.  But because of the stipulations upon the bishops and deacons to only have one wife many look down on pastors who have been divorced even with biblical grounds and their ministry will be hurt by it.  In the fact that some want accept them in leadership positions and want follow them.  Which is sad I think.

Excellent post and understanding, Openly Curious. I'll give thumps up, but I can't.

Opinions vary, I personally believe the that the instruction that "he be the husband of one wife" is primarily an instruction against leadership being polygamous, just as polygamy was forbidden to Kings in the Old Testament.

Also, we are probably looking for faithful leaders, not those who run around, unable to be with just one woman, or otherwise be too distracted. Paul said he preferred people to remain single, so they could be fully devoted to the Lord.

In a similar way, there is an instruction that a leader not be "given to much wine". Some of those denominations try to maintain the notion, that wine in the Bible, is just grape juice, not alcoholic. Seriously? Not given to much grape juice? Clearly we want people of integrity, faithfulness, devotion and moral clarity - having been divorced does not mean these qualities are lacking.

I wonder if these people consider divorce to be a worse sin than having innocent Christians murdered. I suspect that when it comes down to it, Paul himself might not be up to the standards some people require.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

On the bolded sentence: I've had the misfortune to visit churches in the past that had such high "standards" I doubt even Jesus Himself could become a member. :whistling:

Guest Butero

We are dealing with two issues here.  The first one is regarding the Southern Baptist denomination.  If the rules state that a divorced man cannot serve as Pastor, they have every right to enforce that rule.  The second issue is what does the Bible actually teach on this subject?  There are two offices where a qualification is that the man be the husband of one wife, and that is bishop and deacon.  I think the same thing applies to elders.  It doesn't specifically mention a Pastor.  The problem we face today is that the Pastor is often the Bishop.  If the Pastor is not also the Bishop, I believe he may continue to Pastor the church.  That means he continues to be spiritual shepherd to the congregation, but he is not to serve as the leader when it comes to the finances and other carnal matters.  The Bishop would be responsible for that.