IGNORED

What is the purpose of the judgement in Revelation 20?

OakWood

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Why are they being judged according to their deeds? What is the purpose of this? I can't make sense of it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

Here is how you are thinking:

1,000 Years Start At Christ's Coming

1. "first resurrection", "resurrection of life" - unto Eternal Life at Christ's coming, His Faithful saints

2. "the dead" - wicked in the graves, not resurrected

3. "nations" - wicked  and unbelievers outside the gates of the holy city of Rev.22:15, still subject to the "second death".

1,000 Years End

4. Great White Throne Judgment - "the dead" resurrected at end of thousand years, judged and cast into the "lake of fire" ("second death"). Any name not found also cast into the "lake of fire". Hell and death cast into the "lake of fire".

(nothing about those of the "nations" that DO NOT follow Satan after his release from the pit at the end of the thousand years, is there?)

(nothing about believers on Christ that fell away NOT of the "first resurrection" either, is there?)

Do you not see a problem with that?

Here's how I am thinking...

1. "first resurrection", "resurrection of life" - unto Eternal Life at Christ's coming, His Faithful saints, dwelling inside the gates of the holy city, having right to the tree of life on earth, Rev.22:14, Ezek.47.

2. "resurrection of damnation" - ALL who rejected Christ Jesus, and all believers who fell away from Christ (took the mark, being deceived, fell from the Faith, five foolish virgins, unprofitable servant, etc.). The "nations" and peoples dwelling outside the gates of the holy city on earth, Rev.22:15. These all... are STILL subject to the "second death" ("lake of fire") at the end, and thus are "the dead", meaning spiritually dead in their souls.

1,000 Years End

3. those of the "nations" outside the city that follow Satan when he is released perish with him by fire from God down from Heaven in protecting the holy city and His saints upon the earth (Rev.20:8-10).

4. Great White Throne Judgment - "the dead" before the Throne. Books are opened and compared. Those names not found cast into the "lake of fire" with hell and death.

5. 2nd Resurrection - unto Eternal Life through Christ Jesus, those of "the dead" who came to Christ DURING the 1,000 years and overcame Satan's final temptation to go upon against the "camp of saints" on earth to destroy. These are no longer part of "the dead", but are joined with Christ's saints of the "first resurrection", and both go into God's Eternal Kingdom forever.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

There is an idea in Scripture that some will fare worse than others when it comes to Hell........

Matthew 10

24 Nevertheless I say to you that it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you.”

Matthew 18

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Here is how you are thinking:

1. "first resurrection", "resurrection of life" - unto Eternal Life at Christ's coming, His Faithful saints

2. "the dead" - wicked in the graves, not resurrected

3. "nations" - wicked  and unbelievers outside the gates of the holy city of Rev.22:15, still subject to the "second death".

1,000 Years End

4. Great White Throne Judgment - "the dead" resurrected at end of thousand years, judged and cast into the "lake of fire" ("second death"). Any name not found also cast into the "lake of fire". Hell and death cast into the "lake of fire".

(nothing about those of the "nations" that DO NOT follow Satan after his release from the pit at the end of the thousand years, is there?)

(nothing about believers on Christ that fell away NOT of the "first resurrection" either, is there?)

Do you not see a problem with that?

Here's how I am thinking...

1. "first resurrection", "resurrection of life" - unto Eternal Life at Christ's coming, His Faithful saints, dwelling inside the gates of the holy city, having right to the tree of life on earth, Rev.22:14, Ezek.47.

2. "resurrection of damnation" - ALL who rejected Christ Jesus, and all believers who fell away from Christ (took the mark, being deceived, fell from the Faith, five foolish virgins, unprofitable servant, etc.). The "nations" and peoples dwelling outside the gates of the holy city on earth, Rev.22:15. These all... are STILL subject to the "second death" ("lake of fire") at the end, and thus are "the dead", meaning spiritually dead in their souls.

1,000 Years End

3. those of the "nations" outside the city that follow Satan when he is released perish with him by fire from God down from Heaven in protecting the holy city and His saints upon the earth (Rev.20:8-10).

4. Great White Throne Judgment - "the dead" before the Throne. Books are opened and compared. Those names not found cast into the "lake of fire" with hell and death.

5. 2nd Resurrection - unto Eternal Life through Christ Jesus, those of "the dead" who came to Christ DURING the 1,000 years and overcame Satan's final temptation to go upon against the "camp of saints" on earth to destroy. These are no longer part of "the dead", but are joined with Christ's saints of the "first resurrection", and both go into God's Eternal Kingdom forever.

My point had nothing to do with either of these.

Why judge people according to their works when only believers are saved?

Why judge any non-believer when the verdict (damnation) has already been passed?

Why judge any believer when we are cleansed of all our sins by the blood of Christ?

So why are people being judged according to their works? This sounds to me as if non-believers are being given a chance at salvation, but that clearly conflicts with the rest of scripture that says that only those who believe in Christ are saved.

There is an idea in Scripture that some will fare worse than others when it comes to Hell........

Matthew 10

24 Nevertheless I say to you that it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you.”

Matthew 18

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

I can see something in this.

This suggests that a person's works will decide how severe their punishment is.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Why are they being judged according to their deeds? What is the purpose of this? I can't make sense of it.

Hi Oakwood.

Because not everyone had the chance to know the true God.  If you are born into a hindu culture, that's all you will know, the same with other religions. 

This judgement is not according to one who knew God, but what was in their heart.

There are good people out there with kind hearts, who have mercy, compassion, are not self centred, nor proud, but humble, but have not known God.

They must have "godly traits" without even knowing it. 

There are christians out there who don't even have these traits.

This shows us what a just God we have, and how he looks into the heart,

and judges everyone accordingly to their circumstances.

If any christian ends up in this judgement, it will mean that he has missed out on the first resurrection, and his sins were not washed by the blood of the lamb,

he will then receive a harsher judgement according to his works.

This judgement will also include those future generations who will be born during the millennium.  Many will be accepted, because they have been taught the truth.

I hope this makes sense.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

If, as a nonbeliever, you were judged by your works, how would you do?

-if judged by biblical standards, you'd obviously fail (all have sinned and fallen short, etc)

-I suggest, even if judged by your own standards, whatever they may be, you will still fall short.

By the most lenient standard you can devise, man is without excuse if he denies the free gift of Christ's redemption.

Tangentially, this is the point of the final Gog/Magog battle- that even after a thousand years without satan's influence, men will still have a sin nature, and will still choose to follow a leader and rebel against God.

If, as a nonbeliever, you were judged by your works, how would you do?

-if judged by biblical standards, you'd obviously fail (all have sinned and fallen short, etc)

-I suggest, even if judged by your own standards, whatever they may be, you will still fall short.

By the most lenient standard you can devise, man is without excuse if he denies the free gift of Christ's redemption.

Tangentially, this is the point of the final Gog/Magog battle- that even after a thousand years without satan's influence, men will still have a sin nature, and will still choose to follow a leader and rebel against God.

Everybody falls short but you don't have to get 100% in an exam to pass it. If being judged by your works means balancing the good against the bad and the good outweighs the bad then you might pass the test. Just saying.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is we are told that faith not works gives us salvation and no amount of good works will get you salvation if you haven't accepted Jesus.

Matthew 10

Matthew 18

I can see something in this.

This suggests that a person's works will decide how severe their punishment is.

Hi Oakwood.

1. At the second coming;This wicked system will be destroyed,only the true belivers resurrected in spirit form.

The rest of the survivors and the dead in their graves will be left as is.

2. The jews from the past and present and some living will be brought back to their own land,in the flesh.

which will be paradise(jerusalem).Only the remnant of the jews chosen by God.

The saints will rule over them,as kings and priests. And Jesus as king of kings.

This would be the kingdom of the saints,for one thousand years.The lion will eat straw.

3. The gentiles left,will multiply outside the square(kingdom),and so will the jews inside the square(paradise). 

4.The jews taught christ by the saints,will also teach the gentiles out side.

many gentiles will accept Christ,But many also will not.

5.When the thousand years are past, satan will be let loose to draw the non believers of the gentiles outside,

to one place to attack the square(kingdom). They all will be destroyed by God himself this time.

This is the war of gog and magog.

Now all the wicked are dead;satan and his angels cast into the fire.

6.There are still many dead gentiles in the graves of all generations,and all religions.

They will be brought back to life; judged by their deeds(hearts).

The sheep placed on the right(the good hearted),and the goats on the left(the mean hearted). 

The goats, cast in the fire;the sheep accepted,and changed into spirit form,and will join all the saints.

7. Now all the wicked are no more, all the saints will be God's children.

8. But  the earth is still poluted on the suface, and under the earth.

The earth will be melted, and a new earth created. All the saints will be  in heaven untill its done.

9. Then all will come down to the new earth,and God will also dwell on earth,all can see Him face to face. 

God's will is done in earth. 

jesse.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

It is because they have no excuse.  They cannot hide anything from God.  The books are an open view of what they have/had done in their lifetime.  They did not accept the Truth when given to them.  They chose to do evil and not good.  God is looking into their hearts.  They are guilty, thus their fate is eternal torment in the Lake of Fire.  They are being judged by their works, not Christ's work on the Cross.

In Christ

Montana Marv