• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

How is the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven greater than John the Baptist?  My notes at the bottom of my bible say because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  But in Luke it says John the Baptist will be filled with the Holy Spirit while in his mothers womb.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

v13 points to the answer, or as Luke phrases it, "the law and the prophets were until John the Baptist".

Under the OT structure, the Spirit was active, but His presence was conditional and temporary. David could say "take not thy Holy Spirit from me" but since Christ that isn't something we can validly say. The Spirit "indwelling" (making His home within you) and never leaving is a concept utterly foreign to OT minds.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

v13 points to the answer, or as Luke phrases it, "the law and the prophets were until John the Baptist".

Under the OT structure, the Spirit was active, but His presence was conditional and temporary. David could say "take not thy Holy Spirit from me" but since Christ that isn't something we can validly say. The Spirit "indwelling" (making His home within you) and never leaving is a concept utterly foreign to OT minds.

Nailed it - Spot on!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Where it says in the new one cannot lose the Holy Spirit ? thanks 

John 14:

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

"Dwelling" is a heavily loaded word in scripture. From Abraham who was in sin as he dwelt in Haran and later in faith he dwelt in tents, to Paul describing our citizenship as being in heaven, to Revelation that describes "those who dwell on the earth"; each case isn't describing one's physical address as much as it describes a mindset or allegiance or belief. Just as we are not to be citizens of this world, we are to tabernacle (tent, camp) here, while recognizing our citizenship in heaven as our permanent dwelling, so also the HS promises to remain (dwell) in you. Understanding the significance and permanence of "dwelling" is one of the things that makes the middle of Rom 8 so powerful:

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.

John 14:

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

"Dwelling" is a heavily loaded word in scripture. From Abraham who was in sin as he dwelt in Haran and later in faith he dwelt in tents, to Paul describing our citizenship as being in heaven, to Revelation that describes "those who dwell on the earth"; each case isn't describing one's physical address as much as it describes a mindset or allegiance or belief. Just as we are not to be citizens of this world, we are to tabernacle (tent, camp) here, while recognizing our citizenship in heaven as our permanent dwelling, so also the HS promises to remain (dwell) in you. Understanding the significance and permanence of "dwelling" is one of the things that makes the middle of Rom 8 so powerful:

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.

John 12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.

Matthew 12:43-45King James Version (KJV)

43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.

44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.

45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

John 14:

Are you saying once saved always saved  ? thanks 

John 14:

John 12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.

Matthew 12:43-45King James Version (KJV)

43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.

44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.

45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Are you saying once saved always saved  ? thanks 

Are you saying those verses have anything to do with the HS or salvation???

--Who said "I am the light"? (Hint: He also said, mirroring your John 12 verse: "...It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.")

--Is the unclean spirit the same as the Holy Spirit????

Do you have any point at all???

OSAS is a loaded topic that doesn't need to be decided for the OP's question. A safe answer is simply "we are absolutely secure as long as we abide in Christ".

What does this verse mean ?And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.Eph 4:30

What was the lesson we can learn from samson ?

What does it mean that some have fall away ?

Did they have the Holy Spirit ?

When they fell away do they still have the HS or unclean spirit ? thanks

When one has the Holy Spirit they can lose it if the do evil

once saved always saved is a lie

The foolish virgins had the Holy Spirit at one point in time then lose it

*** justfaith, I merged a four of your posts and removed the same series of quotes. Think your reply through before posting and don't keep quoting long posts that have many quotes inside them. ***

Edited by OneLight

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;