FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

So what do you think if Joshua and the elders would have asked God's Council, would He have allowed Israel to make peace with Gibeon in Joshua 9?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Sorry, but would you please flesh that out abit and include some references?   It might help with answers

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I believe that is the Canaanites that put on wore out clothes and carried old bread, and things that made themselves appear to not be locals, but that they traveled a long time from out of the land to deceive the children of Israel into making a covenant with them so that Israel would no kill them as a Canaanite.

I may be mistaken.

Joshua 9:1-16

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Sorry, but would you please flesh that out abit and include some references?   It might help with answers

My apologies, forgot this was a Sunday lessons, at church for this, week not every one goes to the same local church.

I believe that is the Canaanites that put on wore out clothes and carried old bread, and things that made themselves appear to not be locals, but that they traveled a long time from out of the land to deceive the children of Israel into making a covenant with them so that Israel would no kill them as a Canaanite.

I may be mistaken.

He giveth more grace, that is spot on, don't think if someone asked this question out of nowhere I could have explained it better.  But the people of Gibeon where Hivites.  Still you have capture what I was getting at. 

We have a question on our Sunday School Lesson, if Joshua and the Elders of Israel had asked God's Council, would God have allow the treaty/covenant.  IMO He would have because the Gibeonite yes were afraid of the Children of Israel, but they took greater fear in Israel's God;.  We even see that except for the Hivites from Gibeon; God hardened the hearts of all the other inhabitants of Canaan, Joshua 11:19-20  Immediately after Gibeon Covenant with Israel, the Amorites attacked Gibeon, and Gibeon call for Israel help, God doesn't correct Israel for the covenant, but instead state that He will give the Amorite to Joshua (Joshua 10:1-8).  Plus during David's reign as King, Israel suffered a famine, and King David found out it was because King Saul had broke the covenant with Gibeon, II Samuel 21:1-11.

But Israel was commanded to destroy all the inhabitants of Canaan in Deuteronomy 7:1-2.  I also had my attention called to comments made by Dr. McGee, which make some other great points, still think God would have allow the peace; but Doctor McGee stated that the first three encounters of Israel after crossing the Jordan were:

1)  Jericho which is to us Believers like our encounter with the World.

2)  Ai which is like our battles with our flesh

3) Gibeon is like our battle with the devil, as they Gibeon who are Hivite (which word is related to serpent or worship of serpent(s)), did practice deceit with the Israelites, and we as believers are not to be ignorant of the devil devices, II Corinthians 2:11.

And so this great scholar believes that God would not have allowed the covenant.

Rep point, Duggarfan!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

My apologies, forgot this was a Sunday lessons, at church for this, week not every one goes to the same local church.

That's ok...I guess you wanted to just jump right in...but I didn't follow.... :) 

I understand now and that's an interesting question...we can't know for sure...but seems like God did allow the treaty/covenant as you both state

It is always better to ask though!!! (I speak from personal experience)