• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Was reading in Hebrews 7.

Who was Melchizedek?

Was he Jesus or a separate individual?

7 This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him,

2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3

Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Personally, I believe it was Jesus...     Same entity that came by on his way to Sodom and Gomorrah.

I could not prove it but by some multi layered metaphysics that's more than I care to look up and type out.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I also think it was Jesus.

He was a priest then, now he is a perfect high priest.- Heb.4-5

I also think it was Jesus.

He was a priest then, now he is a perfect high priest.- Heb.4-5

It doesn't seem right to just call him a priest though......   that doesn't set well with my soul.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

The ancient Rabbinical teaching, I hear say, has him as Shem.

FOUND IT:

The Rabbis identify Shem with Melchizedek, King of Salem, who is termed "a priest of the Most High," and who came to meet Abraham after the latter had defeated the four kings led by Chedorlaomer (Gen. xiv. 18-20). According to this account, Shem, as a priest, came to Jerusalem (with which Salem is identified by the Rabbis), of which city he became king, it being the proper place for the establishment of the cult of Yhwh. He went to meet Abraham to show him that he was not angry with him for having killed the Elamites, his descendants (Midr. Agadah on Gen. l.c.). Shem, however, forfeited the priesthood by mentioning in his blessing Abraham's name before that of God, so that God took his office from him and gave it to Abraham (Ned. 32b; Pirḳe R. El. xxvii.). According to the Midrash Agadah (l.c.) Shem himself asked God togive the priesthood to Abraham, as he, in his prophetic capacity, knew that he (Shem) would have no children eligible for the sacerdotal office. Contrary to the Pirḳe R. El. and Gen. R. (xliii. 10), the Midrash Agadah explains that it was Shem who gave tithes to Abraham, showing that he recognized him as priest (see Gen. R. xliii. 7). The Rabbis point out that in certain cases Shem ranked as the equal of Abraham; so that the latter was afraid lest Shem might be angry at him for having slain the Elamites and might curse him (Gen. R. xliv. 8; Tan., Lek Leka, 19). In another instance God made a compromise between Shem and Abraham, namely, with regard to the name of the Holy City, the place of the Temple, which Abraham had called "Jireh" (Gen. xxii. 14; see Jehovah-jireh) and which Shem had called "Salem." God united both names; and thus arose the name "Jerusalem" (Gen. R. lvi. 16).

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13541-shem

I think I would have trouble reconciling him having no father and no beginning.     Although he did live 35 years longer than Abraham.  I'm not sure how one could reconcile the no father thing unless there is something about the Hebrew that I don't understand.

Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died...   kind of hard not to know who his father was.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

OK, that's fine, as you will. I may be wrong, but until I know I am going with the old Rabbi's, may The Lord show me.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, I believe it was Jesus...     Same entity that came by on his way to Sodom and Gomorrah.

I could not prove it but by some multi layered metaphysics that's more than I care to look up and type out.

It say made like unto the Son of man not the Son of man ,Jesus fucntion as a High priest only came into effect after he died and rose again 

Heb 7:1-3

7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3 Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he abides a priest perpetually.

NASB

Please understand my plight here.   I must reconcile all scripture to accept beliefs of things.    This verse says very plainly that Melchizedek had no father or mother or family tree.   No beginning of days or end of life.

When Abraham was 58 years old Noah died.    Noah was Shems father,  Shem was still alive when Abraham died, and lived 35 years longer than Abraham, but he did die.  He also has a family tree back to Adam himself.

I simply can not accept that Melchizedek could be Shem with that many parts of his description being so off.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

The ancient Rabbinical teaching, I hear say, has him as Shem.

FOUND IT:

The Rabbis identify Shem with Melchizedek, King of Salem, who is termed "a priest of the Most High," and who came to meet Abraham after the latter had defeated the four kings led by Chedorlaomer (Gen. xiv. 18-20). According to this account, Shem, as a priest, came to Jerusalem (with which Salem is identified by the Rabbis), of which city he became king, it being the proper place for the establishment of the cult of Yhwh. He went to meet Abraham to show him that he was not angry with him for having killed the Elamites, his descendants (Midr. Agadah on Gen. l.c.). Shem, however, forfeited the priesthood by mentioning in his blessing Abraham's name before that of God, so that God took his office from him and gave it to Abraham (Ned. 32b; Pirḳe R. El. xxvii.). According to the Midrash Agadah (l.c.) Shem himself asked God togive the priesthood to Abraham, as he, in his prophetic capacity, knew that he (Shem) would have no children eligible for the sacerdotal office. Contrary to the Pirḳe R. El. and Gen. R. (xliii. 10), the Midrash Agadah explains that it was Shem who gave tithes to Abraham, showing that he recognized him as priest (see Gen. R. xliii. 7). The Rabbis point out that in certain cases Shem ranked as the equal of Abraham; so that the latter was afraid lest Shem might be angry at him for having slain the Elamites and might curse him (Gen. R. xliv. 8; Tan., Lek Leka, 19). In another instance God made a compromise between Shem and Abraham, namely, with regard to the name of the Holy City, the place of the Temple, which Abraham had called "Jireh" (Gen. xxii. 14; see Jehovah-jireh) and which Shem had called "Salem." God united both names; and thus arose the name "Jerusalem" (Gen. R. lvi. 16).

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13541-shem

This is some Great Insight He giveth more grace, really appreciated it.   Excellent post, and information.

I think I would have trouble reconciling him having no father and no beginning.     Although he did live 35 years longer than Abraham.  I'm not sure how one could reconcile the no father thing unless there is something about the Hebrew that I don't understand.

Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died...   kind of hard not to know who his father was.

Other One, I think I read somewhere that you like to read extra Biblical Books that are quoted in the Bible and usually not considered Inspired.   If one reads the Book of Jasher, Joshua 10:13; and II Samuel 1:18; you will see that Adonizedek, King of Jerusalem, in other words Melchizedek is Shem, Jasher 16:11.  Just read the whole chapter of 16 and you will find out that, Melchizedek is Adonizedek who is called Shem.

This also tells us by reading Jasher 79:27 that Balaam two sons, are referred to in II Timothy 3:8 that is Jannes and Jambras.