• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I've happen to come across the verse or someone discussing the verse below from 1 Timothy 3:2, That this applies to all pastors.

1 Timothy 3:2

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

It's got me wondering, does this apply to all callings? I mean all, Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher and of course Pastor. If  not, why just Bishops and pastors? I'm not really sure what to think about this, because My now ex-wife left me years ago and divorced me against my will. So my judgement in this may be biased. 

I welcome all comments and discussions on this subject.

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Well in the first place I don't believe Prophets or Apostles are even operating today.  Pastors Bishops, Deacon's, positions like that need to be the husband of only one wife.  It is what the scripture says and there is a reason for it.  If they are to have such a position in the church they need to be orderly and if they can't keep order in their own homes how are they going to  keep order in the church.  As for others things God desires that as believers we be married only once, "tell death do us part"  After that if someone wishes to remarry that is fine.  But as I said God has these rules for a reason.  And I honor Him in that,

Well in the first place I don't believe Prophets or Apostles are even operating today.  Pastors Bishops, Deacon's, positions like that need to be the husband of only one wife.  It is what the scripture says and there is a reason for it.  If they are to have such a position in the church they need to be orderly and if they can't keep order in their own homes how are they going to  keep order in the church.  As for others things God desires that as believers we be married only once, "tell death do us part"  After that if someone wishes to remarry that is fine.  But as I said God has these rules for a reason.  And I honor Him in that,

Thanks for the comment. I completely disagree with your comment. If he meant it for Pastors as well why didn't he just say it bluntly? But that's exactly why I'm asking. I am honestly not sure if the reason I don't like this response is because it applies to me and means to me, ( IMO ) I can never serve God. 

Guest shiloh357

I have to agree with Rusty's comments.   The office of prophet and apostle as they were known in scripture are no longer in operation in the church today.   Pastors (Bishops and pastors are the same thing) and Deacons are to be husbands of one wife.

God's plan for marriage is simple.  One man marries one woman and they stay married until they die.   That is the ideal for the Pastor and the Deacon. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I've happen to come across the verse or someone discussing the verse below from 1 Timothy 3:2, That this applies to all pastors.

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

It's got me wondering, does this apply to all callings? I mean all, Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher and of course Pastor. If  not, why just Bishops and pastors? I'm not really sure what to think about this, because My now ex-wife left me years ago and divorced me against my will. So my judgement in this may be biased. 

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

I am not sure what the question is; the text doesn't seem to speak to your status as a divorcee.

I doubt the text means an overseer has to be a husband--after all Paul encouraged singleness and was single himself; rather, if he is a husband, he must be so of only one wife.  This doesn't mean that polygamy was a neutral issue for laypersons; it just means that it is absolutely essential for leaders of the church.  There may have been persons with multiple spouses before they converted.  They were ineligible for these kinds of leadership.  Only singles and those married to only one wife could be leaders in the official sense.

As far as apostles and prophets the response above is correct: Apostles were first and foremost those who witnessed the Resurrected Christ.  There are Christians with the gift of prophecy  but this is quite distinct from the Prophet.  That era is done.  There are no more Prophets; God has spoken His last major word through Jesus.

clb

Edited by ConnorLiamBrown

I have to agree with Rusty's comments.   The office of prophet and apostle as they were known in scripture are no longer in operation in the church today.   Pastors (Bishops and pastors are the same thing) and Deacons are to be husbands of one wife.

God's plan for marriage is simple.  One man marries one woman and they stay married until they die.   That is the ideal for the Pastor and the Deacon. 

Thanks for the Comment 

Guest shiloh357

Ii would also point out that the situation that Paul seems to be addressing is the problems that surround polygamy which created some very contentious families. 

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

I am not sure what the question is; the text doesn't seem to speak to your status as a divorcee.

I doubt the text means an overseer has to be a husband--after all Paul encouraged singleness and was single himself; rather, if he is a husband, he must be so of only one wife.  This doesn't mean that polygamy was a neutral issue for laypersons; it just means that it is absolutely essential for leaders of the church.  There may have been persons with multiple spouses before they converted.  They were ineligible for these kinds of leadership.  Only singles and those married to only one wife could be leaders in the official sense.

As far as apostles and prophets the response above is correct: Apostles were first and foremost those who witnessed the Resurrected Christ.  There are Christians with the gift of prophecy  but this is quite distinct from the Prophet.  That era is done.  There are no more Prophets; God has spoken His last major word through Jesus.

clb

Interesting Point of View. Most people think that if you have been divorced and then remarried for any reason at all, even the death of your spouse. Then you have had 2 spouses and are disqualified from all ministry positions because of this verse.

i believe the passage is talking about polygamy also. polygamy was a common practice at the time, and God was specific that some 'offices' should not be held by those who had multiple wives.

Guest shiloh357

God Bless 

Firestormx

Joseph

clb

Interesting Point of View. Most people think that if you have been divorced and then remarried for any reason at all, even the death of your spouse. Then you have had 2 spouses and are disqualified from all ministry positions because of this verse.

No, it doesn't apply to the death of one's spouse.    As for divorce it depends on the reason and circumstances.