• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Hi again.

This is something I always wondered about when I read it. 

"Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in the shedding the blood of the prophets.'  "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers."  I really don't undestand how they testify against themselves by saying they are sons of those who murdered the prophets.  I see in the OT how sons seem to go the way of their fathers, but not always the case, and how a son is not to be put to death for the sins of his father.  Of course there is more question a little later on in this section thru vs.36 as to upon them fall all the guilt of the righteous blood shed on earth. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

You stop your quote (at least) one verse short:

33 [Ye] serpents, [ye] generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

-and next He describes how they shall (future) murder those He sends, just like their fathers did.

This passages echoes the rather frisky description of parentage in John 8:

39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, [even] God.

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? [even] because ye cannot hear my word.

44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

To call a Pharisee a seed of a serpent or generation of vipers is to refer to Gen 3:

14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

So parentage in these verses is talking about allegiance or spiritual parentage, the master you serve.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus knew their hearts and knew that they would be the very ones who would call for his crucifixion as well as his disciiples' deaths. Persuaded answered well.

"Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in the shedding the blood of the prophets.'  "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers." Matthew 23:29-32 (NASB)

I really don't understand how they testify against themselves by saying they are sons of those who murdered the prophets.  I see in the OT how sons seem to go the way of their fathers, but not always the case, and how a son is not to be put to death for the sins of his father.  Of course there is more question a little later on in this section thru vs.36 as to upon them fall all the guilt of the righteous blood shed on earth. 

:thumbsup:

Simple

But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. Matthew 12:24

Talk

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. Matthew 15:18

~

Yet

He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth. Luke 11:23

Beloved

Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. Luke 23:34

There Is Sure

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. Romans 11:26-27

Hope

As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Romans 11:28-29

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

In Matthew 21:33-46, Jesus tells the Jews a story somewhat along this line, where He tells the Jewish people that they have persecuted and killed the Prophets, but much worst they would kill the Son.  

22)  Blessed are ye when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your mane as evil, on account of the Son of Man.

23)  Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers to the prophets.

Luke 6:22-23

Just reading the last chapter of II Chronicles, we see the Jewish people already knew this to be true.

But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised His words, and misused His prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against His people, till there was no remedy.

II Chronicles 36:16

This is not a Jewish thing, it seems to be a human nature thing.  Even as many nations have claimed to be Christian, we see the same manner of behavior.

But we see Jesus pronounce judgment on the Jews in Matthew 23:34-39, Jerusalem was left desolate in 70 AD.

But we see Jesus pronounce judgment on the Jews in Matthew 23:34-39, Jerusalem was left desolate in 70 AD.

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Yet

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. Romans 11:1-5

There Is New Life

Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children. Isaiah 66:8

And A Promise Of Joy

Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem. The LORD hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil any more.

In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack.

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. Zephaniah 3:14-17

Yet To

For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? Romans 11:15

Come

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

~

For Jerusalem's Sake

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence, And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth. Isaiah 62:6-7

I Am Rejoicing

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.

If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.

Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries,

and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people. Deuteronomy 32:39-43

And Praying

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee. Psalms 122:6

Thank You LORD Jesus For Your Israel~!

Thank You Abba Father For Your Eternal Faithfulness~!

Thank You Spirit Of The Living God For Your Testimony Of The Eternal Truth~!

I Love You My LORD And My God

I Love And I Adore You

Soon Beloved

Soon

Maranatha~!

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Revelation 22:20

Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

As always Joe, excellent points, keep preaching God's Word, brother you are surely blessing many here.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Hi again.

"Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in the shedding the blood of the prophets.' "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers." I really don't undestand how they testify against themselves by saying they are sons of those who murdered the prophets. I see in the OT how sons seem to go the way of their fathers, but not always the case, and how a son is not to be put to death for the sins of his father. Of course there is more question a little later on in this section thru vs.36 as to upon them fall all the guilt of the righteous blood shed on earth.

The question is how did they testify against themselves?

The common topic of conversation amongst the Jewish community between the clergy (Pharisees) and the laity was that the clergy always emphasised that they would not have done the wrongs of their forefathers who had killed the prophets. Jesus noticed this deceptive picture that the Pharisees were trying to paint amongst the Jewish laity, because they too also persecuted people just like their forefathers. The fact that they tried to deny it, is evidence that they are guilty and they are just trying to hide the facts.

The western saying goes you don't need to continually be defensive about a claim, if you are innocent. However those who are guilty will tend to continually defend themselves and advertise a false picture about themselves. Notice the expression don't be defensive about it?

Meaning if you are not guilty, then there is no need to be apprehensive about it especially when no one is blaming you. The fact that the Pharisees continually tried to defend themselves on this very issue meant they were covering up their cruel ways and blaming their forefathers who were not around to defend themselves. What they we doing was quite lame.

Do you see the picture friend?

Edited by Defending the Name

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Yes, why would an innocent person, or righteous Pharisee, feel the need to defend himself about that in the first place. But, Jesus said they testified against themselves by saying they were son's of those who kiled the prophets.