LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, so having been a stay at home mommy for the past 8 years; I am now fill out job applications. The thing is is I am having some trouble when it comes to putting people down for references. While I have a very good work history, nearly all of the people I have worked with or bosses I have worked for have moved on to other places and I have no clue as to their contact information. I can put down my work history, companies names, and phone numbers. But having been out of the work force for 8 years, none of the people I worked with are at these companies anymore. So I am not doing so well coming up with references for these job applications.

Guest Bethany

anyway you can talk to the company about alternative references? Maybe you can ask them about church members being references? Or have you volunteered anywhere?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Okay, so having been a stay at home mommy for the past 8 years; I am now fill out job applications. The thing is is I am having some trouble when it comes to putting people down for references. While I have a very good work history, nearly all of the people I have worked with or bosses I have worked for have moved on to other places and I have no clue as to their contact information. I can put down my work history, companies names, and phone numbers. But having been out of the work force for 8 years, none of the people I worked with are at these companies anymore. So I am not doing so well coming up with references for these job applications.

I don't know if companies actually report much of anything except that a person worked for us for the time period you put down.   Very few companies will take a chance of litigation for saying anything about a person who worked for them.  If I used Xerox for a reference, all they would tell them is that I worked from 1972 to 2010.

Personal references I would put close friends and church people that you would trust.

But Hey, it's been since 1972 since I seriously looked for a Job.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Fill out an application? No I'd rather get a root canal.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

getting a root canal is not that big of a thing with lots of Nitrous Oxide gas...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

getting a root canal is not that big of a thing with lots of Nitrous Oxide gas...

Right you are, with that gas they could do anything; been there. Lol

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

They worry about the time you were unemployed as if you had been in jail all that time. So if you can get any job, such as through an acquaintance, just to get back into the work force, it would help. I was hired as a part time TV camera person at a Christian station which helped me to eventually get a job with the school district. My sole qualification was that I used to draw and paint portraits so I could frame a person in a camera. However, It is easier to get a job while already employed.

So put down the dates and names as best you can, but be willing to work at McDonalds or H & R Block for a year if necessary to get back into the work force.

Blessings and prayers,

Willa