IGNORED

Which day is the Sabbath and is it still valid today?

tff

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

There are many arguments about which day is the Sabbath day and whether it is still valid or not today. Any opinions? I use the Bible KJV and only texts from the Bible must be provided please to prove your point.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I think the most important thing is the spirit in which you do things. If you're doing it because you feel it brings honour to God to keep a sabbath for whatever reason (maybe you put aside a day to be with God in prayer and in the scriptures or spend time in His creation etc.) then there's nothing wrong with that and, for you, the sabbath is still very real and valid. As followers of Christ in the new covanent, we aren't bound by old testament laws and traditions (including the sabbath), rather we have been saved by grace and we won't be measured against the law. That said, a lot of today's western moral code is derived from teaching across the Bible, including the law. The law also serves to show us God's ultimate standard for humanity and how much the Isrealites had to do to keep themselves right with God. It shows us how helpless we are without God's intervention and that it is only because of Jesus that we can be made right with God.

If you are keeping the sabbath because you see it as a hard and fast rule that can't be broken or others are making you feel that to be a genuine Christian you must keep a sabbath day then I would question the motives there. Keeping a tradition in place for no other reason than it makes you feel superior to those who don't, or so that you will look good next to someone who does isn't going to serve to honour God, only those who would impress this tradition upon others. Christians in the early church were advised by Paul in regards to different festivals, what they do or don't eat and drink doesn't matter (see Colossians 2:16-23). v23 says: "Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

Paul also writes to the Corinthian church about a similar matter (1 Cor 10:23-33). Although this is directly about meat that has been used as a sacrifice, the logic still applies. You are free to choose and your salvation is not hinged on whether or not you keep the sabbath, or even on what day you observe it. As v 31 says: "whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Welcome

Guest shiloh357

There are many arguments about which day is the Sabbath day and whether it is still valid or not today. Any opinions? I use the Bible KJV and only texts from the Bible must be provided please to prove your point.

The Sabbath day is from friday evening to saturday evening.   But Jesus is the true Sabbath.   When I got saved, I entered into His rest.  I don't need the sabbath day when I have Jesus.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Hi tff ... this is a discussion forum and you will receive replies that do not contain scripture.  Please refrain from telling people how to reply to your questions.

Welcome~!

~

A Curse

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

Or A Blessing

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

Beloved, In Whom Do You Trust?

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Romans 3:27

Love, Joe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Exodus 31:13, 16-17 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; NKJV

This was a covenant between God and the Jewish people, the descendants of Jacob/Israel. It is not meant for gentiles or non Hebrew peoples. As a Christian I do not observe seventh day Sabbaths.

Lev. 25:2-7, v4 but in the seventh year there shall be a Sabbath of solomn rest for the land, a Sabbath of solomn rest to the Lord. You shall neither sow your field nor prune your vineyard. NKJV

This Sabbath was again for the children of Israel, and it is for breaking this Sabbath that they were sent into bondage in Babylon for 70 years. As a gentile I am not required to stop mowing my grass or trimming my fruit trees during the seventh year.

Col. 2:16 Let no man judge you in food or drink, or regarding a festaval or a new moon or sabbaths,

This means celebrating Christmas, First Fruits (Easter) Saturday or Sunday. We are not to judge each other about such matters.

Rom. 14:5 One person esteems one day above another, another esteems every day.

Hebrews 4:9-10 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. NKJV

Note that works is plural. It is not good works, works of the flesh or works of the law, it is any works. To me works means the self effort of trying to be good enough or worthy of heaven. When we cease from our own efforts and allow Christ to live in us, we have ceased from our works. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. Gal 2:20 Only Christ will ever be worthy of heaven.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

The Sabbath day is from friday evening to saturday evening.   But Jesus is the true Sabbath.   When I got saved, I entered into His rest.  I don't need the sabbath day when I have Jesus.

Tff, this is an excellent way of looking at the Sabbath...   All the scripture details to come to this conclusion is very long....  I understand why you ask.

Here is a search on the subject of mostly worthy posts....  https://www.google.com/#q=sabbath++site:worthychristianforums.com

There are some very diverse discussions on the web site.   Some of these discussions go back to 2003.

Technically its saturday, but its not as important as to which day you hold the sabbath as it is more important to enter into His rest. Thats the whole point, God rested from His work in creation, and He wants us to enter His rest. Basicly to renew us from the weeks hardships.

If Saturday is technically? the Sabbath and according to you it is His (God's) day of rest, then Saturday needs to be hold as the Sabbath rest day?

So you also agree that the Sabbath is from Friday evening to Saturday evening. I do not understand how you can say Jesus is the true Sabbath. The Sabbath is God's rest. How can Jesus be God's rest? Jesus is God's son. If we need to rest on the Sabbath like God, then we should rest on the Saturday, right?