IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

justfaith

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Regarding the translation you attempt to explain for Matthew 28:1, you've made an assumption from your opinion: "The translators soon realised the impossibility of a Sunday resurrection, and even quicker 'solved' their problem with inserting brackets and an, in the Greek non-existent Preposition,  'na' - 'after' which required a conflicting Accusative case...."

MAYBE (and quite PROBABLY) they did nothing of the sort, subconsciously realizing that there was absolutely NO such "impossibility" since, for the Jews, "Sunday" or rather "the first (day) of the week (mian sabbatoon)," starts at SUNDOWN on what we call "Saturday night!"

"Epi," by the way (and you should know this already), means "above," "over," or "upon!" It does NOT mean "center" or "middle!" The word "meso" means "middle" or "center." The only word you COULD have used correctly would have been "OVER(head)!" in your explanation of the word "epifooskousee." But, you should also be aware of the fact that the "light" could be "OVER," "ABOVE," or "UPON" the HORIZON! This would make the timing "SUN-UP," or"DAWN," not "the middle of the afternoon (mid-afternoon)" or even "the middle of the day," which is when the sun is truly "OVERhead."

And, you never did answer my question about which Greek version you were using. That's okay, though. I think I figured out where you got your information.

Therefore, I cannot agree to your "detailed extensive research." I think, like Bugs Bunny, you "took a wrong turn at Albuquerque," and wound up in Timbuktu! Luv ya, tho', bro'!

Don't tell me you luv me. You do disrespect me utterly, how can you fain you luv me? Cut it out. I'm over-acquainted with your sort of frivolousness. I regard it UNCHRISTIAN!

It's YOU who like Bugs Bunny, "took a wrong turn at Albuquerque," '~"Epi," by the way (and you should know this already), means "above," "over," or "upon!" It does NOT mean "center" or "middle!" The word "meso" means "middle" or "center." The only word you COULD have used correctly would have been "OVER(head)!" in your explanation of the word "epifooskousee.~' and wound up in Timbuktu, '~But, you should also be aware of the fact that the "light" could be "OVER," "ABOVE," or "UPON" the HORIZON! This would make the timing "SUN-UP," or"DAWN," not "the middle of the afternoon (mid-afternoon)" or even "the middle of the day," which is when the sun is truly "OVERhead."~'!

I exhausted incidence in the entire Greek literature. I challenge you to present one incidence I have not dealt with. IT WILL BE APPRECIATED. And you will receive DUE CREDIT. You just bring it on here, bugsbunny! 

Edited by gerhard eber

Samie the SDA from clubadventist aka adventistan! As persistently ignorant as ever!

Let me write this in RED!

Samie the SDA from clubadventist aka adventistan! As persistently ignorant as ever!

Edited by gerhard eber

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

9 minutes ago, gerhard eber said:

Don't tell me you luv me. You do disrespect me utterly, how can you fain you luv me? Cut it out. I'm over-acquainted with your sort of frivolity. I regard it UNCHRISTIAN!

It's YOU who like Bugs Bunny, "took a wrong turn at Albuquerque," '~"Epi," by the way (and you should know this already), means "above," "over," or "upon!" It does NOT mean "center" or "middle!" The word "meso" means "middle" or "center." The only word you COULD have used correctly would have been "OVER(head)!" in your explanation of the word "epifooskousee.~' and wound up in Timbuktu, '~But, you should also be aware of the fact that the "light" could be "OVER," "ABOVE," or "UPON" the HORIZON! This would make the timing "SUN-UP," or"DAWN," not "the middle of the afternoon (mid-afternoon)" or even "the middle of the day," which is when the sun is truly "OVERhead."~'!

I exhausted incidence in the entire Greek literature. I challenge you to present one incidence I have not dealt with. IT WILL BE APPRECIATED. And you will receive DUE CREDIT. You just bring it on here, bugsbunny! 

Oy vey! Don't be meshuggah! If I had known you would be so "thin-skinned" about it, I would never have tried to lighten the tone!

Then, take it as it was meant: I reject your hypothesis outright. It is in error, and you need to face the fact that the interpreters knew what they were doing. God controlled their interpretation and they GOT IT RIGHT!

Matthew 28:1 (KJV)

1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Matthew 28:1 (NIV)

1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Matthew 28:1 (NASB)

1 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.

Matthew 28:1 (Berean Literal Bible)

1 And after the Sabbaths, it being dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Matthew 28:1 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

1 After the Sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to view the tomb. 

Matthew 28:1 (International Standard Version)

1 After the Sabbaths, around dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to take a look at the burial site.

15 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Some methods will put a long vowel mark over the vowel to represent the longer Greek vowel and omit the mark over the shorter Greek vowel (e, ē, o, and ō). These require more work for me to produce; so, I've opted to use Biblesoft's method of transliteration for PC Study Bible's interlinear text, instead. (I also have opted not to show the iota-subscript. Therefore, I write, "tee epifooskousee," writing the SOUND of "phi" as an "f.") You'll receive no derision from me for the method of transliteration you choose to use.

In the Messiah's love,

Roy

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/183979-was-jesus-crucified-on-wednesday-thursday-or-friday/?page=20&tab=comments#comment-2846383

Retrobyter said:

Well, when I was growing up, we did little tricks with the English language: For instance, how does one spell "??" One answer was "photi." After some of us were scratching our heads, the answer was revealed:

"ph" in "phone," "o" in "women," and "ti" in "nation."

"Ph" is two letters while "f" is only one letter. If there was a single English letter that made a long "o" sound, I would have used it. If there was a single English letter that made a long "ay" sound, I would have used it. I use the "ee" for the "ay" sound and the "oo" for the long "o" sound, and after a while, I got used to it. Realizing that the "u" (upsilon) is the long "oo" sound in "moon" and that "eu" (epsilon-upsilon) is the "you" sound, I no longer think of "oo" as in "moon," but as the omega, when I am in "Greek mode."

Monstrous atrocious nauseating example in and proof of HYPOCRISY, and that, '~In the Messiah's love~'

And still that's nothing compared to '~... Luv ya, tho', bro'! ...~'

Edited by gerhard eber

5 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Oy vey! Don't be meshuggah! If I had known you would be so "thin-skinned" about it, I would never have tried to lighten the tone!

Then, take it as it was meant: I reject your hypothesis outright. It is in error, and you need to face the fact that the interpreters knew what they were doing. God controlled their interpretation and they GOT IT RIGHT!

Matthew 28:1 (KJV)

1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Matthew 28:1 (NIV)

1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Matthew 28:1 (NASB)

1 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.

Matthew 28:1 (Berean Literal Bible)

1 And after the Sabbaths, it being dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Matthew 28:1 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

1 After the Sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to view the tomb. 

Matthew 28:1 (International Standard Version)

1 After the Sabbaths, around dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to take a look at the burial site.

Go on, the bigger the better show of your ineptness and ignorance. You cannot even see difference and contrariness in "in the end of the Sabbath" and 'after the Sabbath';

You boast your English proficiency, but you cannot differentiate between the dawning of the following day-cycle and the daylight of it.

You brag your Greek but cannot see a literally transliterated '~dawn~' does not exist, what, '~as the First Day was dawning~'. 

Your every expression of vacuous thinking oozes your puny preconceived idiotic idea of a Sabbath morning Resurrection.

Edited by gerhard eber

5 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

You mean YOU knew what YOU were doing. GOD, controlled YOUR interpretation and YOU, got it right!  ‘~Retrobyter~’ alias ‘~Last Revenger~’.

Edited by gerhard eber

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

1 hour ago, gerhard eber said:

Go on, the bigger the better show of your ineptness and ignorance. You cannot even see difference and contrariness in "in the end of the Sabbath" and 'after the Sabbath';

You boast your English proficiency, but you cannot differentiate between the dawning of the following day-cycle and the daylight of it.

You brag your Greek but cannot see a literally transliterated '~dawn~' does not exist, what, '~as the First Day was dawning~'. 

Your every expression of vacuous thinking oozes your puny preconceived idiotic idea of a Sabbath morning Resurrection.

1 hour ago, gerhard eber said:

I see you didn't quote Mk 16: 1, & v8. Plus, You cannot get the "THIRD DAY" from Friday to Saturday. I take it you weren't very good at maths when you were at school. Nowhere does the Bible say Jesus rose on a Saturday.

2 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

I see you didn't quote Mk 16: 1, & v8. Plus, You cannot get the "THIRD DAY" from Friday to Saturday. I take it you weren't very good at maths when you were at school. Nowhere does the Bible say Jesus rose on a Saturday.

Full marks. Not a single mistake. To the letter true!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

5 hours ago, gerhard eber said:

Full marks. Not a single mistake. To the letter true!

You cannot get the "Third day" from a Wednesday or a Thursday to a Sunday either. Proving that Jesus was crucified on a Friday and rose on a Sunday. "Friday, One day, Saturday, 2nd day, Sunday, The Third day".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, Abdicate.

You have other factors, though, to consider: First, the "week" is the weekly cycle from Shabbat to Shabbat, namely "Day 1" or the "Head Day" ("Yowm Echad" or "Yowm Rish'own") to the Day of Rest (Shabbat). In Greek, this is OFTEN written simply as "sabbatos," which may apply to either the 7th Day itself OR that weekly cycle of right after the Shabbat to the next Shabbat.

Second, there were TWO Shabbatiym that week! The Passover (Pesach) was considered a Shabbat because it was also a DAY OF REST! No work was to be done on Pesach! That's why Matthew 28:1 specifies "But after [the] Shabbats" PLURAL or "Opse de sabbatoon."

Third, the daily cycle was from sundown to sundown, making sunrise EXACTLY IN THE MIDDLE of the daily cycle! This, too, was called a "yowm" in Hebrew or a "heemeras" in Greek and was used interchangeably with the word "yowm" or "heemeras" referring solely to the time of daylight.

How these words were to be translated was based on CONTEXT; not on a "bias!"