IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

justfaith

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

You have overlooked the fact that Jesus kept God's Passover  and the Jews went by the moon, which at that time was a day later than God's Passover. 

The Jews usually go by the moon; they don't bother me. As you say, Jesus kept God's Passover, which the Gospels go by.

12 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

I said the Bible says  Jesus was still alive on FRIDAY, until 3pm.  You don't know that Jesus kept God's Passover, and therefore the Sunday that time of year, was a High Sabbath,  Being the Passover. The only day that you can get the "Third day" from, till Sunday, Is a Friday.

Friday, 1 day, Saturday, 2 days, Sunday, The Third day. Neither a Wednesday or a Thursday doesn't add up, Because Jesus didn't rise on the Friday or a Saturday.

To be honest, I just don't comprehend this wondrous explanation of yours. But try as I may, I could not find the Bible text that '~says  Jesus was still alive on FRIDAY, until 3pm.~'

19 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, gerhard eber.

Of course I do! It's the only day that DOES make sense, based on the timing according to Hebrew timekeeping, that is, that the day cycle begins in the evening at sunset. It may not be in the Bible, but according to the People of the Book, they count that moment with the sighting of the first three stars. Watching the movement of the stars and planets in the night sky was an occupation that has been around for thousands of years, particularly among the children of Israel. In fact, it was the occupation that passed early to the children. They had the best eyesight, and it taught them patience and diligence. A simple blast on a shofar, when appropriate, was sounded to welcome the new day and signal its beginning.

Re: ‘~timing according to Hebrew timekeeping, that is, that the day cycle begins in the evening at sunset.~’

I’m satisfied that it is Bible timekeeping that the day cycle begins with sunset and the subsequent evening. Christians don’t owe the Hebrew.

Re: ‘~It may not be in the Bible, but according to the People of the Book, they count that moment with the sighting of the first three stars.~’

It is certain it’s not in the Bible, this star sighting stuff. But no! It is, in Galatians 4! And Paul definitely didn’t approve it! Christians cannot but become aware of it that it is evening for him or her, and therefore the new day now; and pray God in their heart, Not my will, but Thy Will be done today, o Lord. Not the best eyesight needed; or to blow a trumpet. No, not for the Christian no more such things!  

Edited by gerhard eber

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

1 hour ago, gerhard eber said:

Re: ‘~timing according to Hebrew timekeeping, that is, that the day cycle begins in the evening at sunset.~’

I’m satisfied that it is Bible timekeeping that the day cycle begins with sunset and the subsequent evening. Christians don’t owe the Hebrew.

Re: ‘~It may not be in the Bible, but according to the People of the Book, they count that moment with the sighting of the first three stars.~’

It is certain it’s not in the Bible, this star sighting stuff. But no! It is, in Galatians 4! And Paul definitely didn’t approve it! Christians cannot but become aware of it that it is evening now for him or her, and therefore the new day now; and pray God in their heart, Thy will be done o Lord today. Not the best eyesight needed; or to blow a trumpet. No, not for the Christian no more such things!  

Shalom, gerhard eber.

Don't you know your own JEWISH ROOTS?! Galatians 4... Hmpfh! I take it you mean...

Galatians 4:8-11 (KJV)

8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. 9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Right?

Don't take verses out of their context! He was talking to the people of GALATIA, Greek people of that province who used to worship "gods" that really weren't any such thing. And, they were still observing some of the Greek holidays in honor to these "gods!" THAT is to what Paul is referring!

As far as looking at the stars and counting, later on in Galatians 4, Paul talks about Avraham in the same chapter, who was also told,

Genesis 15:4-7 (KJV)

4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. 7 And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.

But, somehow, I doubt you were referring to THAT counting of the stars.

5 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Don't take verses out of their context! He was talking to the people of GALATIA, Greek people of that province who used to worship "gods" that really weren't any such thing. And, they were still observing some of the Greek holidays in honor to these "gods!" THAT is to what Paul is referring!

Amen! And I have never disagreed; everything I ever wrote is there, it shows I never did. 

May I invite you to study the evolution of the interpretation in New Testament research of this Scripture. You can check any and all books ever written and you will see only three or so English Greek lexicons have mentioned the meaning which you here recognised, to the Scripture and specifically to the word 'paratereoh' - to "superstitiously observe". But you won't find as many as one doctrinal or theological and confessional work of BEFORE INTERNET which thoroughly applies this, correct, interpretation like you have here done.

In my country one of its most highly rated theologians grasped the implications of the truth of this Scripture for his own views and holy cows. He realised the verity of what you have here stated. WHAT DID HE DO? He simply twisted the meaning to SERVE HIS PURPOSE AND AIM to discredit the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD! So for example in that Acts incidence where the Jews "watched the gates" of the city to set a decoy for Paul, the meaning this good Professor Doctor Dean of theological faculties at more than one university in my country gave to 'paratehreoh' was Quote~specifically to protect the Sabbath~QE. 

Several times I invited, begged, heckled this learned man to debate the issue. Our lives have gone by and his, as though I don't exist. But what I have written, stands written UNCHALLENGED to this day BECAUSE I wrote nothing against my conscience and nothing contrary PLAIN SCRIPTURE. 

I mention this to show you that it is no shallow Amen I responded with. 

But to come to the point. 

You are right, Paul writes of the former no-gods of the heathen, as Calvin put it, "superstitiously venerated". But, brother in Christ Jesus, since Christ had come, Paul speaks of ALL such superstitious IDOLATRY; not only the heathen's, but the Jews' SINCE THEY REJECT, note, still, reject, Jesus Christ "come in the flesh" ... by which unbelief even the "days, months, seasons, years" of the Holy Scriptures inspired by the Holy Spirit become "idols superstitious OBSERVED" instead of the ONLY "Lord's Day" and "Sabbath-keeping remaining for the People of God" since Christ had come in the flesh and had once for all fulfilled them all, with TRUE DIVINE COMPLETION. Since Christ rose from the dead in the flesh only the day of his Resurrection has NEWLY become "the Sabbath-rest-day OF THE LORD GOD for the People of God", to be observed rejoicing not in the least "superstitiously" but holy "according to the Lord's Life and Day" as Ignatius expressed it in Christian purity.

Edited by gerhard eber

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

11 hours ago, gerhard eber said:

Re: '~Matt 28: 1 says, "In the end of the Sabbath as it began to dawn", [The morning].~'

'~morning~' for the last hundred years, maybe; "end" "mid-afternoon" for the four hundred years before the last hundred years.

A.T. Robertson Word Pictures

Now late on the sabbath as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week (opse de sabbatwn, th epipwskoush ei mian sabbatwn). This careful chronological statement according to Jewish days clearly means that before the sabbath was over, that is before six P.M., this visit by the women was made "to see the sepulchre" (qeorhsai ton tapon). They had seen the place of burial on Friday afternoon ( Mark 15:47 ; Matthew 27:61 ; Luke 23:55 ). They had rested on the sabbath after preparing spices and ointments for the body of Jesus ( Luke 23:56 ), a sabbath of unutterable sorrow and woe. They will buy other spices after sundown when the new day has dawned and the sabbath is over ( Mark 16:1 ). Both Matthew here and Luke ( Luke 23:54 ) use dawn (epipwskw) for the dawning of the twenty-four hour-day at sunset, not of the dawning of the twelve-hour day at sunrise. The Aramaic used the verb for dawn in both senses. The so-called Gospel of Peter has epipwskw in the same sense as Matthew and Luke as does a late papyrus. Apparently the Jewish sense of "dawn" is here expressed by this Greek verb. Allen thinks that Matthew misunderstands Mark at this point, but clearly Mark is speaking of sunrise and Matthew of sunset. Why allow only one visit for the anxious women?

"IN FULLNESS OF THE SABBATH IN THE VERY MID-AFTERNOON DAYLIGHT OVERHEAD INCLINING TOWARDS the First Day of the week"

Re: '~Mk 16: 9. "Jesus was risen early on the first day of the week.~'

Yes, risen; "Jesus was risen early on the first day of the week when He appeared to Mary Magdalene first."

Your problem is, Because you start with an error, you have got to keep teaching errors, otherwise the Biblical truth will prove you wrong.  You even quoted scriptures that prove you wrong.  If Jesus rose "Mid afternoon", How come He was ALREADY risen Early in the morning??.

Matt 27: 57--62.  Mk 15: 42.  Mk 16: 9. Lk 23: 54--56. Lk 24: 1. All prove that Jesus rose early on a Sunday.

10 hours ago, gerhard eber said:

To be honest, I just don't comprehend this wondrous explanation of yours. But try as I may, I could not find the Bible text that '~says  Jesus was still alive on FRIDAY, until 3pm.~'

I know you don't understand the Bible, You have proved that. If you read the last week, from Palm Sunday to Resurrection Sunday, In Mark's gospel. You'll see that Jesus was still alive on Friday, Up until 3PM, and He rose early on Sunday. 

11 hours ago, gerhard eber said:

You, dear Alan Hales, use an erroneous Bible text for Jesus' Resurrection.

No thanks, I wont use an erroneous Bible text for the resurrection of Jesus, Or anything else. Unlike you. You HAVE to twist the scriptures to get your erroneous belief.

7 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

Your problem is, Because you start with an error, you have got to keep teaching errors, otherwise the Biblical truth will prove you wrong.  You even quoted scriptures that prove you wrong.  If Jesus rose "Mid afternoon", How come He was ALREADY risen Early in the morning??.

Because it was "Sabbath's mid-afternoon" 'Sabbatohn tehi epiphohskousehi' that "there was a great earthquake and the angel of the Lord from heaven descending cast the stone away from the grave" and Jesus rose Matthew 28:1; so that '~He was ALREADY risen Early in the morning~' "of the First Day of the week"  'prohï Prohtehi sabbatou' "when He appeared to Mary Magdalene". Mark 16:9.

7 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

Matt 27: 57--62.  Mk 15: 42.  Mk 16: 9. Lk 23: 54--56. Lk 24: 1. All prove that Jesus rose early on a Sunday.

What is this mixture of Scriptures supposed to be about?

Matt 27: 57 is about the beginning of the Sixth Day;

Matt 27: 62 is about the morning of the Sabbath the day "after the Preparation";

Mk 15: 42 is about the evening beginning after sunset after the day of Crucifixion the beginning of the Preparation the Fore-Sabbath in that year "That Day great day of sabbath of passover". John 19:31.

Mk 16: 9 is about "early on the First Day of the week He appeared to Mary as the Risen One".

Luke Lk 23: 54--56A is about "That Day the Preparation mid-afternoon the Sabbath nearing".

Lk 23:56B is about "the women began to rest the Sabbath" after "That Day the Preparation" after sunset.

Lk 24: 1 is about "deepest of morning after midnight on the First Day of the week the women found not the body of Jesus".

So yes, these texts all prove or at least indicate that Jesus was risen early on that Sunday; BUT NONE '~prove that Jesus rose early on that Sunday~'. Alan Hales, what you claim for truth, is not truth.