IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

justfaith

Guest shiloh357

I am curious...  what is the theological importance of what day Jesus was crucified.  I mean, if He was crucified on Thursday or Wednesday, what difference theologically would it make?  What doctrine is at stake here?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

Maybe its just my need to put things where they belong...but is there a prophetic implication to all of this?

If you take Dan 9's 69th week to end with the arrival of the Messiah in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, then it's useful to know what day of the week Passover could be to see which years are possible candidates for the cruxifiction.

Maybe its just my need to put things where they belong...but is there a prophetic implication to all of this?

I would say that there was a prophetic significance to the timing.

God gave Israel certain high holidays. The timing of Jesus death, and resurrection from the dead, were on significant days coinciding to certain spring holy days. Jesus death and resurrection were forshadowed by the meanings of those holy days. So, as the NT says, all of the law and prophets spoke of Jesus. In this case, the law is speaking and pointing to Jesus.

While Jesus fulfilled the spring holy days, the fall holy days are as of yet, unfilfilled, but will be.

Jesus died on Passover.

Jesus was resurrected on the day of the first fruits wave offering and the beginning of the counting of the omer.

The Holy Spirit was given on the feast of first fruits.

What exactly is the significance for each of the days...Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.  If it was Wednesday, what does that mean?  Likewise Thursday and Friday.  I haven't heard of this being a prophetic (future events) topic before. 

Ok, I don't see any significance to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The significance was Passover, and the first fruits wave offering. Plus the prophesy about 3 days. The Hebrew calendar is entirely different then the Gregorian calendar so the where Passover lands in relationship with the first fruits wave offering will vary (based on the first fruits wave offering being the day after the weekly sabbath).  

As has already been discussed, Hebrew days begin at sunset and end at sunset. They are numbered, not named. So, Wednesday roughly is day 4. Day 4 to Day 1 (Sunday) is too many days to fit the three days. No matter how it is calculated, I can not come up with 3 days from a day 4 crucifixion. I can from either day 5 (roughly Thursday) or day 6 (roughly Friday).   

No problems with any of that.  I'm just curious as to what the takeaway is...maybe the false prophet enters the temple on a Saturday?  I guess I'm just not getting it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I am curious...  what is the theological importance of what day Jesus was crucified.  I mean, if He was crucified on Thursday or Wednesday, what difference theologically would it make?  What doctrine is at stake here?

other than making sure he was in the grave three days and nights I can't imagine.   Apparently some people can imagine just about everything.  But then again I have my weirdness so who am I to point fingers...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

I think the point is to get away from (or at least recognize) the Good Friday as just a tradition, so we don't look like fools when someone tries to argue that there can't be three days and nights between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

More resurrection prophecy trivia...

Paul writes in 1 Cor 15:

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Where, in the OT scriptures that he is referring to, can you find the third day prophesied? I've got three places in Genesis...

Well the main thrust of this thread seems to have died down, so maybe it's alright to go for a walk through left field...

A Jewish premise is that "pattern is prophecy". Models and types are foreshadowings of things to come. We shouldn't use them to create doctrine, only to verify and bask in the integrity He has shown in His Word, as these types and models confirm or reflect what He has explicitly shown us elsewhere.

In Genesis 1, God gives the blessing "and saw that it was good" for the 2nd day in the middle of the 3rd day, then does the more work on the third day, then blesses the 3rd day as well. In the Jewish mindset, the third day is the day of double blessing. Orthodox Jewish weddings take place on Tuesday, the 3rd day, because it is the day of double blessing. This also has implications for John 2, the wedding at Cana, which occurs "on the third day" (not third in succession from those mentioned in ch1).

Related to the above, in Genesis 1:11, the third day was the day life was created.

The day the ark rested.

[Gen 8:4 KJV] And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.

Later, at the first Passover, God told Moses that Passover month (Nisan) would be the first month of their calendar. They have since observed two calendars- a religious and a civil. In obedience to God, Nisan the first month of the religious calendar, but it is still the seventh month of the civil calendar. Passover is 14 Nisan (or 14th of the 7th month of the civil calendar), and three days later is the 17th of the 7th month of the civil calendar, or 17 Nisan, three days after Passover.

The offering of Isaac. From Hebrews, we know that Abraham counted Isaac dead from the time the commandment came that he should be offered.

[Heb 11:19 KJV] Accounting that God [was] able to raise [him] up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

In Genesis 22, we read that they travelled three days to get to the mount, so Abraham, figuratively, received Isaac from the dead on the third day.

Anybody have any more in Genesis?

Guest shiloh357

I think the point is to get away from (or at least recognize) the Good Friday as just a tradition, so we don't look like fools when someone tries to argue that there can't be three days and nights between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

In ancient Israel, if a king died in the 11th month of the last year of His reign.  His son would immediately succeed him in that same month, and was considered to have reigned an entire year even though only having reigned a few weeks.

A baby was considered one year old at birth even though having only been alive for 9 months.   So there is a way using ancient hebrew thinking to get 3 days from good friday.

Yeah, the practice of the partial counting as a full is a valid argument, but that doesn't work with the pre-dawn resurrection, nor does it help you get to three nights. There's still not enough "partials".

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
:brightidea:

3 things must be involved in the calculation:

1. That is determined per the Hebrew reckoning of when a day starts and ends, which from sunset to sunset.

2. Since He rose sometime very early in the morning of the first day of the week (Mark 16:2), what day is that? Sunday.

3. Then one must adhere to His prophecy that He would be in the earth 3 days and 3 nights (Matt.12:40).

--------------------

Only when those 3 things are used, will you find the answer. And you have to count the separate days and nights going backwards from Sunday morning.

Wednesday just before sunset He was buried.

Wednesday sunset to Thursday dawn = 1st night

Thursday dawn to Thursday sunset = 1st day

Thursday sunset to Friday dawn = 2nd night

Friday dawn to Friday sunset = 2nd day

Friday sunset to Saturday dawn = 3rd night

Saturday dawn to Saturday sunset = 3rd day

After Saturday sunset into Sunday early the first day of the week Jesus rose. Matt.28 points to it nearing dawn of the first day of the week. Some believe He rose immediately after sunset Saturday when Sunday began. You will find this calculation agreeing with Mary going to His tomb to finish His burial after the weekly Saturday sabbath. Per John 19, Wednesday after sunset was to be a high sabbath because of the passover, which is why there were 2 sabbaths in that same week that has caused some to be confused about the time of His burial.

but was he actually in the grave any Sunday Day   i would say no.

It seems to me that he would have to have been buried Wednesday at sundown.

Wednesday Night, Thursday Day

Thursday Night, Friday Day

Friday Night, Saturday Day

and arose sometime Saturday after sundown and before Sunday daybreak.

Saturday after sundown means Sunday night gets counted.

...and so we're clear, we're all on the same page that "in the heart of the earth" means death, not burial, right? He died before sunset, which means the counting has to start with a day...

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Wouldn't it be nice if the Bible or the Jews used the same calendar? Wouldn't it be nice if the Bible told us what day it was, or what specific day was the Sabbath, or the date of Jesus' birthday? But it doesn't, so all you'll get with those question is speculation. For those of you who think the Bible is a perfect record, take another look please!