• Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What would you think if a person asked you this question?:

Are you saved by grace only?

Or saved by grace plus works?

What would your answer be?

Guest shiloh357

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
(Eph 2:8-9)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Both, but it is not our works, but God's work that He does in us.

8)   For by grace are ye saved, through faith; it is not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9)   Not by works, lest any man should boast.

10) For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God hath before ordain that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2:8-10

So that we see we are saved by grace thru faith in Christ Jesus, and not of our works.   But Paul goes on to say that we are created in Christ Jesus unto good works.  One must remember that this is the work or fruit which the Holy Spirit produces in the true believers, Matthew 7:15-20; Luke 8:8,15.  You will also read of the works of flesh and the Fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:16-26.

So yes we are saved by faith because of God's grace, and not of our own works, but the Holy Spirit will produce some fruit that is His Works  in our lives.  IMO many Believers don't seem to understand this when reading Hebrews 6.

Guest Bethany

We have a saying in my church "Jesus+something=nothing" and it's talking about how...Jesus did it all...nothing we do (something) can save us. 

Hebrews 10:12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,

Titus 3:4-7 But when the kindness and love of God our savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewel by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generosly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 

Romans 3:10 There is no one righteous, not even one.

It really doesn't matter how good of a person I am! I will never measure up by completeing good works. They don't outweigh the bad. I can try to put on a coat of "good works" to cover up my sin, but the stench of my sin will just permeate through it. Only Christ's blood can cleanse me from unrighteousness. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Exodus 20:24-26King James Version (KJV)

24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.

25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

26 Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.

So, as these instructions, so our salvation, once you add human efforts or works you have defiled it. He did it all, "it is finished"; God even gives us his faith, grace is a gift.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

i would quote them Romans Chapter ten and tell them they could call it whatever they wanted.

We are saved by the grace of God for there is nothing we do ourselves and we certainly don't deserve it......  however he does not bestow that grace on just anyone....   and some would call what he uses to make that decision works....                  In my 67 years on this earth I have found that you rarely find grace without the other.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Saved by the GRACE of God...grace means unmerited favor

then I would add that if that salvation is real in my life, I will commit myself to doing the works of the One who saved me

In other words, salvation IS grace only but salvation exhibits its truth in the works of those who are saved

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Samonee

Shiloh posted my response also.....

For by GRACE you have been SAVED through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the GIFT of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
                                                                                                                                                             Ephesians 2:8-9

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The same person who asked the question also commented that Jesus wasn't just saved by grace only.

My silent response to that (because it wasn't my conversation. The person was talking to someone else.):

---Jesus didn't need to be saved at all. He's the Son of God. He died to save us.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

The same person who asked the question also commented that Jesus wasn't just saved by grace only.

My silent response to that (because it wasn't my conversation. The person was talking to someone else.):

---Jesus didn't need to be saved at all. He's the Son of God. He died to save us.

anything that any of us say that needs a comment on, please feel free to comment....   none of us are right all the time although we do have a few who seem to think that.    It's good to see all sides of a subject to, at the very least, know why you believe what you believe.