• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

"Therefore if  ou have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."

So what does this look like to you?

Thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Stop concentrating on Worldly things. There are better rewards in heaven.

And what does that look like to you?  You answered my question with my question.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Our hearts are where our treasures are. Seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Do the works of God--feed the hungry the Word of God as well as food and clean water, and the means of earning a living. Make disciples. Love and forgive as a living epistle.. Be a friend to widows and orphans.

And what does that look like to you?  You answered my question with my question.

who did that? the only person i saw respond before you said this was oakwood. unless he edited it, he didn't ask any question at all. he answered yours though... the answer is that it means to stop setting your heart on worldly things because our rewards are in heaven.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

i know I just woke up from a long nap.....   and sometimes I'm a little dense when I'm waking up.....    but I fail to see any question.

What am I missing here?

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Pamelasv,

Very interesting question. To me the active part of that statement is `keep seeking the things above, where Christ is....` Now because I know that God is making me like Christ, (Rom. 8: 29) then I need to work with His Holy Spirit for that to be outworked. Thus I apply -

`...all diligence,....moral excellence...knowledge (of Christ) self-control....perseverance....godliness...brotherly kindness & Christ`s love....` (2 Peter 1: 5 - 7)

Reading that chapter in 2 Peter we see that it is by His divine power that we are partakers of the divine nature - to be like Christ. Nothing in this world will make us like Christ, only His `riches,` His character qualities. (Of course trials & difficulties are the opportunities for us to draw upon the Lord for His patience, longsuffering, lovingkindness ...etc) 

`For if these qualities are yours & increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful.....` (2 Peter 1: 8)

`When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.` (Col. 3: 4)

What absolutely amazing, astounding promises if we but  - `keep seeking the things above, where Christ is...` (Col. 3: 2) The Divine nature that is deposited in us as we work with His Holy Spirit. May we all continue steadfastly.

Edited by Marilyn C

My question was:  What does it look like to you setting your mind on heavenly things, rather than earthly things. I was looking for an EXPLANATION of setting your mind on heavenly things vs. earthly things.  I think Willamina said it well, and Marilyn C.  Thanks ladies for undestanding what I was asking. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I believe Oakwood answered your question quite sufficiantly, Pamela, how was his reply a question. Just sayin. :-)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

"Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."

So what does this look like to you?

Thanks.

Setting our minds on the things above, rather than the things of earth, looks to me exactly like the love of the Father for Christ, and the love of Christ for the Church and for the lost.

Romans 15:6

that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Corinthians 1:10

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1Corinthians 2:16

For “who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

Philippians 1:27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel,

1Peter 1:13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

In Christ, Pat