GoldenEagle

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

There are lots of good scriptural writings out there that are good for faith. A lot of things just didn't get added by the politicians and they try to force you to think that you can't have any more. There are apocryphal writings of Peter, James, and Paul. I love reading those! They look at feel more like the book of Revelation does. Peter really slams hard on the false doctrine of infant baptism, which is why it was excluded from the 4th century compilation.

By the way, a historian working on ancient documents that are held at the Vatican found a journal of a guy who was journeying throughout Israel. He records his eye witness account of a miracle that Jesus did.

Search for "Newly found document holds eyewitness account of miracle of Jesus". Enjoy!

Guest shiloh357

There are lots of good scriptural writings out there that are good for faith. A lot of things just didn't get added by the politicians and they try to force you to think that you can't have any more. There are apocryphal writings of Peter, James, and Paul. I love reading those! They look at feel more like the book of Revelation does. Peter really slams hard on the false doctrine of infant baptism, which is why it was excluded from the 4th century compilation.

By the way, a historian working on ancient documents that are held at the Vatican found a journal of a guy who was journeying throughout Israel. He records his eye witness account of a miracle that Jesus did.

Search for "Newly found document holds eyewitness account of miracle of Jesus". Enjoy!

Which demonstrates a gross lack of understanding on the issue canonicity.  You need to go study.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

This has been discussed in another thread and is false. 

see snopes.

"The article has been shared more than 25,000 times on Facebook and another 500 times on Twitter. Unfortunately, there is no truth to the report. 

The image used in the World News Daily Report article, does not show a document written by Marcus Velleius Paterculus.

The photo, which was taken from a Wikipedia article about Britain's oldest handwritten documents.

There are several other factors that discredit the article, the main being that World News Daily Report is a fake news site that includes fictional stories such as "Rancher Shoots Down UFO Near Area 51," "15-Ton Prehistoric Shark Captured Off Coast of Pakistan," and "Nessie Sighting Brings Surge of Enthusiasm in Favor of Scottish Independence."

The site that started the article also carries a disclaimer  that clearly states none of its reports are meant to be read as fact:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The Didache also contained a lot of that information. But it was written more like a book of basic instruction for new converts of the first century; it was written by someone other than an apostle, and it included a lot about the customs of the time--like instructions how baptism and the Lord's supper should be conducted. It was good stuff but not inspired by the Holy Spirit to be canon.

That is also true of the Maccabees, a history of Israel in the OT Apochrapha. Some stuff like Bell and the Dragon are ok literature but not inspired by the Holy Spirit. George our founder, also likes some of those books. Even Luther said they were OK to read but seperated them from Canon. It was not politics that validated some books and not others. Each district had their own collection of books they considered to be canon and most agreed from one end of the empire to the other. But some books had more validation in some areas than others due to circulation and the knowledge of the author by the church fathers in that particular area. When proper backing was given they were accepted. But people who are Spirit filled are able recognize the hand of God in a book from dribble.

The first time I read the book of Mormon I was puzzled because some sentences seemed inspired and others were nonsence. Then I realized that they had interspersed quotation from the King James Bible between their additions of fiction. So some nuggets of truth are included to imply the rest is true. Others have done this as well.

Most new testament "additions" that you mentioned had gnostic mystical cult origens that were definitely not by the Spirit of God. There was no validation by the apostles or even the disciples of the apostles. Most were written after their times by heratics. You might study more about the beliefs of Christian gnostic cults. It might help you to recognize the fake gospels.

I posses a collection of early pseudo Christian writing.

So far I have found very little that is truth or faith affirming about Christianity on the History Channel or NatGeo. Tragicly that is where some people get their information. Even satan told perverted truth and half truth.

I once told a Jehovah's Witness that I don't know why they included Lamantations in the Bible. It was written by Solomon while he was backslidden. She said it was the only book in the Bible that made sense to her!. Unbelievers cannot understand the Bible because they don't have the Holy Spirit to enlighten them. So a book that is from man's view when living without God in his life was all she could understand. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. That is the life of an unbeliever.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

As a Latter-Day Saint, I do not ally myself with the idea that the canon is closed. God still speaks to us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

...but then you have the Book of Mormon....which do you hold as the truth?

I'm asking because the Bible and the Book of Mormon just...well...do not actually agree..............

of course God still speaks to us....a closed canon does not mean God is silent.  In fact, the Bible lists many ways God speaks to us, such as through

His Holy Spirit

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

As a Latter-Day Saint, I do not ally myself with the idea that the canon is closed. God still speaks to us.

...but then you have the Book of Mormon....which do you hold as the truth?

I'm asking because the Bible and the Book of Mormon just...well...do not actually agree..............

of course God still speaks to us....a closed canon does not mean God is silent.  In fact, the Bible lists many ways God speaks to us, such as through

His Holy Spirit

You will need to continue this conversation in a forum apex can answer in. I changed his grouping.

Never mind, he was banned this afternoon.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I see that now.  thanks...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,111
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

What is the Biblical Canon? When, why, and how was it closed?

That all depends on who you ask. For a full view of the canons of the various Christian churches, west and east, wikipedia has a full chart here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon

Scroll down till you get to the colored columns. You will see that only the Western Protestant churches hold exclusively to the 66 books. There is a great deal of variety elsewhere. A quote from that webpage:

"The Peshitta excludes 2 John, 3 John, 2 Peter, Jude, and Revelation, but certain Bibles of the modern Syriac traditions include later translations of those books. Still today, the official lectionary followed by the Syriac Orthodox Church and the Assyrian Church of the East, present lessons from only the twenty-two books of Peshitta, the version to which appeal is made for the settlement of doctrinal questions."

Thus there is no universal canon for the whole Christian faith, including acceptance of the 66 books. Each person must make up his/her own mind as to inspiration of each book [edited: particularly the non-66 ones], councils of believers notwithstanding.

Edited by WilliamL

Each person must make up his/her own mind as to inspiration of each book....

:thumbsup:

I

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Believe

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

~

Praise The Name Of Jesus

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

The Bible  contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.

It is a mine of wealth, a Paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given to you in life, will be open in the judgment, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and condemns all who trifle with its holy precepts.

From The Front Of My Gideon New Testament