• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/05/1969

I have been searching this forum on this topic of remarriage but could not find any discussions or info about it.

I have been extensively trying to find the truth about this topic only to end up with several different opinions from people (and many of them are biased also), but actually there can only be one truth. The other problem of this topic is that there are so many different situations one can find themselves in and on the other hand there is not a lot of scripture explaining in detail every situation.

The general question is: Can a divorced person remarry?

Except what is stated to be obvious in scripture, like if their spouse dies they are free to remarry, let's focus on the situation were one is either divorcing or being divorced and from the viewpoint of a divorced man and then of a divorced woman (there seems to be a difference mentioned in scripture).

Can a divorced man remarry?

Can a divorced woman remarry?

When is remarriage OK, if at all and why or why not, in both situations of a man and a woman being divorced and being the one divorcing.

I also don't want to talk about divorce being not the will of God and that God's hates divorce, that is a given.

Please back up every comment with scripture, I don't want just your opinion, it has to be based on the word of God. Please do include if possible any cultural background information in light of scripture of the times it was written in that might help to understand the meaning of the scripture and how it applies to the current times (since the Word of God is timeless but it helps at times to know the background info). Also word studies in the original language that help to understand the meaning of a scripture in better detail than the english translation is welcome.

God bless!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have been searching this forum on this topic of remarriage but could not find any discussions or info about it.

I have been extensively trying to find the truth about this topic only to end up with several different opinions from people (and many of them are biased also), but actually there can only be one truth. The other problem of this topic is that there are so many different situations one can find themselves in and on the other hand there is not a lot of scripture explaining in detail every situation.

Except what is stated to be obvious in scripture, like if their spouse dies they are free to remarry, let's focus on the situation were one is either divorcing or being divorced and from the viewpoint of a divorced man and then of a divorced woman (there seems to be a difference mentioned in scripture).

When is remarriage OK, if at all and why or why not, in both situations of a man and a woman being divorced and being the one divorcing.

I also don't want to talk about divorce being not the will of God and that God's hates divorce, that is a given.

Please back up every comment with scripture, I don't want just your opinion, it has to be based on the word of God. Please do include if possible any cultural background information in light of scripture of the times it was written in that might help to understand the meaning of the scripture and how it applies to the current times (since the Word of God is timeless but it helps at times to know the background info). Also word studies in the original language that help to understand the meaning of a scripture in better detail than the english translation is welcome.

God bless!

Hi Warrior 777.  As Christians we are not supposed to judge or condemn people(Luke 6:37). So if someone has gotten a divorce it is not my place to judge it, or view them differently ever, because there may have been things going on in their marriage that I don't know about or that are none of my business. Care about everyone. Here are some some scriptures about the topic of divorce and remarriage.

Matthew 5:32(NLT)

But I say that a man who divorces his wife, unless she has been unfaithful, causes her to commit adultry. And one who marries a divorced woman also commits adultery.

Mark 10:3-10(NLT)

Jesus answered them with a question: "What did Moses say in the law about divorce?" "Well, he permitted it," they replied. "He said a man can give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away." But Jesus responded, "He wrote this commandment only as a concession to your hard hearts. But 'God made them male and female' from the beginning of creation. 'This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to her wife, and the two are united as one' Since they are no longer two but one, let no one spit apart what God has joined together." Later, when he was alone with his disciples in the house, they brought up the subject again. He told them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery against her. And if a woman divorces her husband and marries someone else, she commits adultery."

Matthew 19:7-8 (NLT)

"Then why did Moses say in the law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away?" they asked. Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, bur it was not what God intended. And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery-unless his wife has been unfaithful."

1 Corinthians 7:15-16

(But if the husband or wife who isn't a believer insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the believing husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace). Don't you wives realize that your husbands might be saved because of you? And don't you husbands realize that your wives might be saved because of you?

God bless!

Hi Warrior 777.  As Christians we are not supposed to judge or condemn people(Luke 6:37). So if someone has gotten a divorce it is not my place to judge it, or view them differently ever, because there may have been things going on in their marriage that I don't know about or that are none of my business. Care about everyone. Here are some some scriptures about the topic of divorce and remarriage.

Matthew 5:32(NLT)

But I say that a man who divorces his wife, unless she has been unfaithful, causes her to commit adultry. And one who marries a divorced woman also commits adultery.

Mark 10:3-10(NLT)

Jesus answered them with a question: "What did Moses say in the law about divorce?" "Well, he permitted it," they replied. "He said a man can give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away." But Jesus responded, "He wrote this commandment only as a concession to your hard hearts. But 'God made them male and female' from the beginning of creation. 'This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to her wife, and the two are united as one' Since they are no longer two but one, let no one spit apart what God has joined together." Later, when he was alone with his disciples in the house, they brought up the subject again. He told them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery against her. And if a woman divorces her husband and marries someone else, she commits adultery."

Matthew 19:7-8 (NLT)

"Then why did Moses say in the law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away?" they asked. Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, bur it was not what God intended. And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery-unless his wife has been unfaithful."

1 Corinthians 7:15-16

(But if the husband or wife who isn't a believer insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the believing husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace). Don't you wives realize that your husbands might be saved because of you? And don't you husbands realize that your wives might be saved because of you?

Thank you for your response first of all.

My post was not so much for judging anyone in any situation they might find themselves in, but a quest for the truth of the matter. What is actually the will of God in a certain situation.

Of course I know these scriptures but the interpretation of them in certain specific cases is more of what I am looking for. (please see also my answer to the following post so I don't have to write things twice). God bless!

There are extreme cases where a divorce is necessary, but we need to realize that God hates divorce.  He doesn't want anyone who gets married to get a divorce.  That is his ideal.  I have heard people say divorce is ok, so long as you don't re-marry.  Perhaps it isn't a sin unless you re-marry, but it isn't what God desires, and it will lead to the two people getting lonely and desiring to marry again, often leading to sin. 

...Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously:  yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.  Malachi 2:14

For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away:  for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts:  therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.  Malachi 2:16

As far as divorce and re-marriage goes, in the law of Moses, there is the legal side of divorce.  If a person is seeking a divorce, they have to give the other person a bill of divorcement, and legally, they are free to marry another. 

When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her; then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.  And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.  And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;  Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD...  Deuteronomy 24:1-4a

Israel used the law of Moses as the law of the land, and this is what the legal code said about divorce.  It is not endorsing divorce but simply telling how one can legally get a divorce.  It is the legal statute that existed.  Again we must remember that God hates divorce.  He doesn't ever desire that a man and woman break their marriage vows, but because man can have a hard heart, God allowed divorce to take place.  His desire would be that we would get past the things we find objectionable in the person we marry, and honor our marriage vows except in the most extreme cases, like adultery, and even then, I believe God prefers we try to work things out if possible.  He showed us all a great deal of mercy, and I believe he desires we show the same kind of forgiveness to our spouse, even when they are less than perfect, or have "some uncleanness." 

Now, look at what Jesus says about divorce in Matthew.

Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives:  but from the beginning it was not so.  And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery:  and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.  Matthew 19:9

The disciples are shocked by what Jesus said, and they give this response to him.  This is important, because their response, and Jesus' reply to them show how serious this matter is.

His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.  But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.  For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb:  and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men:  and there be some eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.  He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.  Matthew 19:10-12

Most people would tell the disciples that even though God looks at divorce as wrong, and even an act of adultery, he understands, and wouldn't want us to have to live alone.  That is not what Jesus does.  He tells them some choose to become eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake.  This is why divorce itself is such a terrible thing.  When a divorce takes place, not only are you tempted to re-marry, and thus commit adultery, but the person you were married to is tempted to re-marry and commit adultery, and those who marry the person who is divorced are also guilty.  When we take marriage vows, it is till death do us part, so we need to learn to extend grace to our husband or wife and do everything in our power to work things out. 

There is the doctrine of abandonment found in Corinthians.  This is a very narrow circumstance, where two non-Christians get married, and one becomes a Christian and the other does not.  We are taught that we are to remain married so long as the unbeliever is content to stay with us, but if the unbeliever departs because they can't deal with the changes in our life as a result of our faith, we are not in bondage in such cases. 

If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.  And the woman which hath a husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband:  else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.  But if the unbelieving depart, A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases:  but God hath called us to peace.  For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband?  or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?  1 Corinthians 7:12-16

I think that pretty much covers the subject from a Bible perspective.  Then you will have people add their two cents into the matter, either condemning everyone who is divorced and re-married or excusing those who are divorced and re-married.  I am not going to do either.  I am just giving you what you asked for in the OP, what the Bible teaches on the subject. 

Thank you also for your time in replying.

As I stated already, we know that God hates divorce and yes of course, reconciliation is always the best way, but my question is solely concentrated about remarriage, meaning there is no other way, except to stay single, e.g. the other spouse already has remarried.

Now one of my detailed questions would be, since it seems like you are saying that remarriage is not allowed under any circumstances, if I understood you right, what about the exception rule for the case of adultery leading to divorce? If one commits adultery and the other spouse is divorcing them, is the one who divorced them allowed to remarry? The scripture seems to indicate this, unless there is another scripture or background info (of the customs of the times when it was written, just for better comprehension) that can shed more light on that issue.

Also what about the one who is being divorced and had not committed adultery but the spouse left nonetheless and let's say already has remarried? Is that person now free to remarry, since the divorce was not because of adultery, but the divorcing spouse now marrying someone else in fact actually does commit adultery then, even though it's after the fact of the divorce itself, but hence there is no reconciliation possible as mentioned in. 

1 Corinthians 7:11 (NKJV)  But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

Also scripture says that a husband divorcing his wife causes her to commit adultery (which has the implication that she is remarrying, because there could not be adultery, if there is not a third party involved) unless she had committed adultery in there marriage. Now he then should be free to remarry, since she has broken the covenant, right? It further goes on to say, that who marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery, but does not mention why she is being divorced, it seems to say this just a s a general rule!? Now can the opposite then be true, whoever marries a divorced man commits adultery? I personally don't think it does, otherwise there would be no exception rule in play at all for the case, if a husband divorces the wife for adultery, then would be free to remarry and as such any woman who would marry him would not commit adultery?

This would indicate also a different standard for men and women in this case of remarriage and if so, there must be a reason for it? This just on a side note. 

​Is there any other scripture that would either support or reject the specific above mentioned cases?

​Anybody answering, again please back up your opinion or proof with scripture or reasonable context of it.

Thanks, God bless....

Edited by Warrior777

To make it a little more complicated I want to throw in another side-question:

If a couple now has remarried and at least one of them was married before, let's say in this case this would have been adultery that Jesus is talking about, are they in constant sin throughout their entire marriage until one dies or not? So in other words, in order to be right with God should they now divorce again?

Does God see this new union as a constant sin, could there be forgiveness? Now we know God hates divorce and breaking of vows. Here a new covenant has been established with new vows to each other. Would that not be worse to break these vows and destroy that covenant again?

I have found nothing in scripture for this specific case, but is there any other scripture in principle that might help to solve this problem?

Please, anybody feel free and not afraid to answer any of the questions. We are not here to judge anybody reading this, who might find themselves in a situation like that, but just to find out the truth about God's will. Also I think that shedding some light on this might help many people out there that are struggling with thoughts about this issue and don't know how to proceed,  but want to be or stay in the will of God. These are not exceptional cases, but millions are dealing with this all over the world every day. So at least someone, I think, would have given some thought about this before at some time (and maybe an answer) ...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The 1 Cor. 7:15-16 passage is the basis of my thought. If the spouse has left you and married another, was that person a believer and have they continued in the faith (he who endures to the end shall be saved). It would seem to me that if they were an unbeliever, you are free to remarry. (In such case the believing spouse is no longer bound to the other.)

The problem is that a person who has been so deeply wronged has a lot of baggage to bring into the next marriage, and will need Christian counseling quite often. Our baptist pastor married a woman who had been divorsed under such circustances. They went through years of counseling to work it all out. He also was having trouble being ordained because he had married a divorsed woman. But it was decided in favor of ordination on the basis of her innocence in the situation leaving her free to remarry.

Willa

I wasn't saying that there are no circumstances where divorce and re-marriage are allowed.  In the case of fornication, which is from a Greek word that also includes adultery, divorce and re-marriage is permitted.  I would also assume it is permitted in the case of the person who finds themselves in a marriage as described in Corinthians where one gets saved and the other remains unsaved, and the unsaved person will no longer dwell with the new Christian. 

I can only give an opinion about the person who is already divorced and re-married, because as was pointed out, scripture never says what to do in such an instance.  I would counsel such a person to confess their sin of adultery, commit their marriage to God, and move forward.  If they divorce, chances are, this will lead to another marriage and another instance of adultery down the road.  I am only giving an opinion here, because scripture isn't clear.  I would strongly suggest those in such a marriage pray about the matter till they are convinced in their heart God accepts them where they are. 

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I must have misunderstood then about the exception rule, since you hadn't mentioned it specifically before.

Yeah I understand were you are coming from and that's the way I think it is usually done, but is it really scriptural or better is that God's will? Of course if they had to divorce if it is determined that their marriage is a sinful relationship then either of them would not be allowed to remarry otherwise it would be senseless.

There must be somewhat of a clear answer in any case, it should be either a yes or no, but then how to back this up? Seems like it leaves it open for interpretation to whoever deals with it, but there can only be one truth? I kind of lean to the solution of repentance and then go on in that new marriage with God? Still trying to find a hint of scripture somewhere or a similar situation of where repentance is accepted for a situation that is otherwise ongoing that normally would be sin? or maybe this is the only exception whatsoever?

Also what about a situation where there was a divorce of two believers where one just abandoned the other to marry someone else? The adultery was not committed in the marriage itself but right afterwards. Now would that left behind spouse be free to marry, since they can't be reconciled with their ex-parnter, who in fact did commit adultery already? Could this divorce be seen as not a "valid" divorce in God's eyes, since the exclusion rule for the divorce itself did not apply but then after that spouse got married it did, since then the adultery was committed and according to scripture, she is not allowed to return to her first husband, even if the second one dies. Would make sense, but is that a too far fetched interpretation? Can anybody remember maybe a similar case in the OT? The only one that comes to mind is David and Batsheba, which actually was a worse situation, but he married her after her first husband died and God did not make him divorce her, even though it caused curses to come upon him and his child died,etc but again this is a bit different situation.

The 1 Cor. 7:15-16 passage is the basis of my thought. If the spouse has left you and married another, was that person a believer and have they continued in the faith (he who endures to the end shall be saved). It would seem to me that if they were an unbeliever, you are free to remarry. (In such case the believing spouse is no longer bound to the other.)

The problem is that a person who has been so deeply wronged has a lot of baggage to bring into the next marriage, and will need Christian counseling quite often. Our baptist pastor married a woman who had been divorsed under such circustances. They went through years of counseling to work it all out. He also was having trouble being ordained because he had married a divorsed woman. But it was decided in favor of ordination on the basis of her innocence in the situation leaving her free to remarry.

Willa

Thanks for your reply.

The case you are talking about in Cor. is a clear case of an unbeliever leaving, so divorce is permitted here but does it automatically imply that remarriage is allowed in this circumstance? It doesn't really say. It just speaks about not being bound to the unbeliever anymore (unequally yoked) in a covenant. If combined with the scripture in Matt 5 it doesn't seem that it indicates a freedom to remarry unless there was also adultery involved with that unbelieving spouse?

To the case of the Baptist pastor, would he actually be allowed to marry a divorced woman at all? Matt 5:32 says that would be adultery as far as I understand it. Do you know how they justified that in the end? Would help to know, maybe they found something that I haven't yet?

That's actually what I was talking about in one of my prior posts, there seems to be a different standard for women than for man in case of remarriage, if scripture that is known is taken at face value without adding anything.

Edited by Warrior777

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I'm a little confused at this point, but I have dealt with this somewhat personally and as a counselor. I don't think there are anymore scriptures than what was already said. At this point we're all acting as a supreme court and having to decide how to apply the laws we have. IMO the differences in the Bible between men and women were only because women were not yet seen as full citizens. So in the USA I apply the laws to men and women equally.

In 1 situation you ask about, both partners should have not divorced, but did. Neither should have remarried, but both did. Am I following correctly? What should they do now? If they divorce again, that's another major sin. Two major sins don't negate any previous sins, it just adds more. So I'd say if you are serious about God, you stay with this mate no matter what may come. And since David and Bathsheba are the only Biblical couple we have as an example, do not expect these new marriages to be without problems. But stop the chain of sinning.

If for some reasons all parties involved want to end the present marriages and the original husband and wife want to reconcile, I would allow it, but no more sinning after that. There is a scripture that says "sin begets sin begets sin". I have rarely seen this proven as much as with divorce and remarriage.  One or both of you have to stop the chain of sins. Even if it means staying alone until God takes you. God did not put us here to be happy, He put us here to be Holy. Let that be your guide also.

I think there are also times when God will intervene. IF you are willing to listen. Again, remember God doesn't want sins to continue. Suppose 1 person left her mate, but didn't divorce yet. A man who loved her all his life then tries to get together with her. Both are believers. Both want a marriage dedicated to God. You both pray, go to church, and discuss God often. Suddenly nothing you 2 do leads to anything good. There may not be a prophet like there was with David and Bathsheba, but it becomes obvious God isn't in favor of the 2 of you being together. I consider that to be God telling you 2 what He wants. One of you has to be strong, and don't marry.

Again, the key was God doesn’t want sins.

I also counseled a woman that was forced out of her original marriage. She was free to remarry so long as the man was also free to marry. But broken hearted she was, Satan stepped in, and sin begat sin and more sin. Another coupe divorced. Both the wife died and then the man died. It wasn't meant to be.

God often shows us what He wants, but you have to be willing to see. And of course, you always use the Bible as the written laws of God. God never wants sin. He always wants us to be Holy. Remember, to God our lives are a moment of time. He expects us to do right.

in 1 Cor ch 3 Paul talks about how what each of us do will be tested with fire. If all the works of a human burn up and become ashes that person may yet be saved, but as 1 who was burned by fire. Better to have your works not burn up. Jesus also made a statement about this. It's in Mark. I was really surprised when God made me see it. But that's how God is.

Did I miss anything?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

Hi everyone, I thought I'd just step in with my first post and respond to this thread.

I see you've covered all the verses on divorce and remarriage.

But do you still have doubts about what is right and what is wrong?

Sometimes the answer is easier than you may think.

Rather than look at what the Bible does say about divorce, let's look at what the Bible does not say about divorce.

Does the Bible say that divorce is an unforgivable sin?

The answer is, no, it does not.

So then what?

1 John 1:9;

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness".

Now to me, that is the answer.

A person may issues that they have to deal with.

That in itself should not prevent a person from remarrying.

If we repent of our sins, he forgives us, and we need to move on with our lives, not looking back.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Christian definitions on what is adultery for men and women, whether married or divorced:

Matthew 5:31-32
"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'  But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Mark 10:2-12
Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"   "What did Moses command you?" he replied.  They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."   "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied.  "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'  'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,  and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one.  Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."  When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this.  He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.  And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Luke 16:18
"Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:39
A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.

Ephesians 5:33
However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Matthew 19:6-7
So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."  "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

Romans 7:2-3
For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage.  So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.

Deuteronomy 22:19
They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the girl's father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

Matthew 1:19
Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

1 Corinthians 7:11-13
But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.  To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.  And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.

Matthew 19:8-9
Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.  I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

Romans 7:3
So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.