• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1989

Hey guys, bless you all.

I raise this question as it is of great concern to my wife and I in regards to our Church pastor.

Now he is a great speaker, he preaches the word of God very well, but there are concerning issues. Let me explain.

He listens to BOTH Secullar AND Christian Heavy Metal music and enjoys it. I researched both, listened to both and they sound the exact same. Heavy Metal is satanic music. How can you praise the Lord whilst sounding like Satan?

Now I understand we all have our struggles and thats fine, but the problem we truly have is that he doesnt look at it as a problem and goes ahead and PROMOTES it. And not just the Christian Metal, but recently, an Alice Cooper album from 1974. Some of the lyrics on this album are rather disgusting and so far away from Christianity its not funny.

We confronted our pastor about this and he labelled it an art form. He said hes perfectly comfortable with listening to it and promoting it to all aspects of the Church.

Again, we are aware that we all have our own issues with sin. However, this is the final big issue in a bit of a list of things from a man who is supposed to be leading a Church and setting the example of Christ.

I wanted to get your thoughts and ask what you think we should do from here? Weve confronted him and he walked away, slamming the door on his way out. We are exploring our options as to what we should do from here.

Thanks brothers and sisters. God bless you all.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Well, Alice Cooper these days preaches the gospel AND performs his shows. I have no idea...but I would be leaving that church. You cannot serve two masters....

Alice seems to think you can...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2051616/Alice-Cooper-REAL-life-A-satanist-No-I-run-Bible-group.html

• Group:  Members

Yeh im aware he is a Christian today, but our pastor still promotes his old records. And yes, his doctrine is as sound as Pastor Bob Daily.....

i don't believe heavy metal christian music (or rap christian for that matter) are of satan. it's the message, not the beat of the music. personally, i hate the beat of the music and wouldn't listen to heavy metal or rap, of the christian genre or not.

but to say it is of satan is to pass a judgment on a tool that God uses every day to reach people who wouldn't listen to the message any other way.

i remember when i was a teenager... i was at a friend's house, and i'd brought my brand new cassette tape of amy grant's first album. when my friend's mother walked in the door and heard it, she threatened to never let me back in the house if i ever brought such satanic music into her home again.

and contemporary worship music? i've heard it labeled as satanic by people who listen only to hymns.

just because something doesn't appeal to you (and hurts your ears, your brain, and everything else) doesn't mean it is satanic. i'd be very, VERY careful about making such a sweeping statement about something. if the lyrics are bringing glory to God, the noise is irrelevant.

You see thats the problem. If we want to be a part of the world, why even bother going to Church? We are of God. All glory to Him. Have you seen Christian Heavy Metal live shows? Mosh pits with fighting is encouraged. The rock and roll hand gestures are used, their doctrines are stretched to suit themselves. You can not say that is fearing our Lord surely? Thats trying to change him to suit our own necessities.

who am i to say what God can use and what He can't? no, i don't go to heavy metal shows. i already said i don't care for that kind of music. but to say it is of satan? 

if the lyrics are glorifying God, i don't really care about the mosh pits and the hand signals. there are non-christians who wouldn't even consider going to a christian concert that didn't have a mosh pit. that concert may be the only way they will listen to the message. you don't have to like it. but you should not condemn it. scripture kinda warns against calling the work that the holy spirit does the work of satan. are you willing to bet your soul that the heavy metal christian music is satan's tool and not God's?

and by the way, show me proof where their doctrine is stretched to suit themselves. i don't know much of the doctrines of individual rock bands. and if YOU do, then maybe you're listening to them too much. 

seriously, if your preacher's listening tastes offend you, you might ought to look for a church where you won't feel so uneasy.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I have a theory, but like most theories there are exceptions:

Lyrics aside (that should be obvious).

If it's dissonant and disordered (like a lot of death metal) then it's probably Satanic in origin.

If it's catchy and upbeat, or slow and reflective -  but most importantly melodic in either case, then it's probably ok.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,709
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I listen to some heavy metal, of both, and I listen to bands that many would consider heavy-such as skillet and Red. You say how can we worship God, if the music "sounds the same" well, two points, one is to someone who enjoys that type of music they sound nothing alike. Second, music is subjective. If you dont like it, dont listen to it. But let me ask you this though, what makes the music satanic? take the lyrics away from both forms-what makes it satanic? Nothing. what makes it good-or bad, is the lyrics, whether its got a positive, Godly message. I don't recall anywhere-and I do mean ANYWHERE in scripture-that specifies what genre of music we should listen to and what genre we should not listen to. And I should also point out, that not all secular music is bad-and that includes metal. Theyre not all gothic satan worshipers with horrible lyrics. 

Heavy metal is just another genre of music, it has good music and bad, just like any other. Im a christian-I love contemporary christian, christian hip hop and rap, christian rock like skillet and red (a lot) but I also enjoy country, and some secular rock bands such as three doors down. what makes the secular music hes listening to-or even the christian heavy metal, for that matter a sin? Id have an issue yes if he was playing AC/DC at a church function, but if hes rocking out to Demon Hunter (Christian Heavy metal band) with the youth group at a youth function, then great. For some of us, listening to secular music can be a sin-be harmful to us, but for others, its not. I think that if your only issue with your pastor is what kind of music he likes to listen to in his free time-then you've got it pretty good, and you should just let him be. I dont see anything youve listed as being honestly "sinful"

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I personally love heavy metal music.  My pastor does too.  Just like in other genres of music there are good lyrics and there are bad lyrics.  Just because some rock songs have bad lyrics does not mean that all rock music is bad.  Just recently attended a Christian rock concert and the band members were preaching in between songs.  If Christian rock songs have brought people to Christ, I don't know how that could be of Satan.