Edwin

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Could you please reconcile the following.

Exo 20:12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

Mat 10:37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Thank you.

Edwin.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I agree with LadyC there is no contradiction there. One can honour parents (or others) but love God more.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Thank you Both for your helpful answers.

Edwin.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Could you please reconcile the following.

Exo 20:12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

Mat 10:37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Thank you.

Edwin.

48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

So let all who have understanding Honor their true Father and their true Mother, Sisters and Brothers.

Edited by zhavoney

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

An excellent post in addition with the others, zhavoney... When I was a young Christian, I've also had some confusion about some of the seemingly enigmatic statements our Lord made to His followers. Even His disciples questioned the meaning of the Parable of Sower of the Soil, in particular. Anyway, keep up the good work... You've done very well.

God bless you,

Shalom

David/BeauJangles 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Recall also that the setting was to a Jewish audience. Parents to this day in some cases disown a child who has converted to that dread Christian faith. So in such a circumstance whom do you honor?

It is interesting an exchange I had with a Messianic Jew and a non Messianic Jew regarding how only Christianized Jews could lose their Jewishness and Jews who became Hindus or even atheists were still considered Jewish.

The Messianic Jew said something like, these are the many extremes people must go to in order to deny what their own Bible teaches.

Pray for the Jewish people. Romans 11:28.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Let me ask you this.

Is the love for your father, mother and children going to save you?

I believe love is an attribute of God. I believe the love that Jesus is referring to here is of a higher order, being part of Him. A possession rather than a response.

Surely we don't want to put the gift before the giver

If we have God in us we do His bidding and we even reap the fringe benfits such as long life.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

tI remember a while back when I was praying for my dear friend Val,,,,,,who BTW I just lost only hours ago & I am having a very difficult time tat this moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,In the middle of what I thought was a very sincere & heartfelt prayer .....our Amazing Lord laid 2 questions on my heart      "Would you be willing to take your friends place?" With deep regret I had to say,,,"No,my Lord...,,,I do not think I would ','I realized that this is the love I could not reach without the Heart & Mind of Christ

The second question was"Would I give up my soul,my Salvation.....for the soul of my own child"    and I answered,,,"No,my Lord.....I would not give up being with you for anyone" and I realized that I love Him more than anyone............& with no regret I understood exactly what Jesus meant (Matthew 10"37)

With love-in Christ,Kwik

I said,,,,,,Why do you ask me such difficult questions Father?,,,,,,"Because I love you & I know your heart"

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Dear Kwikphilly,

I`m praying for you through this grieving time. I too know what it is to have a dear friend pass away. If they know the Lord then there is the blessing of knowing they have been `promoted to glory,` as we used to say. `Lord be with my dear sister at this time & let her know in a special way your comfort & care.`