deliveranceminister

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

The first time I saw a demon spirit I was very glad indeed to have folks around me who knew what was going on...

We need understanding sometimes that we do not have from our own experience...

and the reason for the books from those who know from their experience is because Scripture may not have all the answers we need in dealing with them...

I am sure the personality of the person who is writing is in the book but that is so of anyone who writes...

I do not think there is anyone who completely agrees with anyone else...

we read books on faith and love and hope and and many other aspects of our Christian walk why not on demons and deliverance? :24:

Then it isn't important. We are told to care for the poor, to remain holy, to avoid things of an evil nature, etc. These things are addressed. If the nature of demons is not addressed, then it isn't important and I have no problem calling any experience with them false if it goes beyond the realm of scripture. For instance, when people adovcate that demons can come into Christians, or that demons take days to be exercized out of a person....Biblically this is not true. A demon is afraid of Christ and is subject to His power. We know this biblically.

If the Bible is silent on the issue and does not expound on it, then fallible authors need not input their opinion.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

A P ....You may enjoy the screwtape letters by C.S. Lewis...

A P ....You may enjoy the screwtape letters by C.S. Lewis...

But he wrote that as a fictional work, not as a literal way that demons work. Secondly, the actions that he has the demons perform are consistent with what we know from the bible; lies, attempt to cause apathy, etc. The Screwtape Letters is a fictional work, it is not meant to teach us how demon posession works or what demons do per se, it instead teaches us how easy it is to fall into temptation, how temptation works, etc. He used Biblical principles in order to accomplish this.

However, there is no comparison to it with most other books that deal with the issue in a non-fiction way. A book that tells us how demons posess people, what to expect during a posession, how to get rid of a demon, how to make sure a demon doesn't attack you, etc...are based off fantasy and Christian mythology, not the Bible.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

I found this article interesting....

http://cicministry.org/commentary/issue78.htm

That was a very long article.. :)

but I am glad he finally learned God has the power and we need to repent....

perhaps Helena could learn from his literature on the subject..

if she is still around the board here somewhere...

AP ..have you ever learned anything the about the Christian walk outside of Scripture?

or is that all you ever read.... :huh:

AP ..have you ever learned anything the about the Christian walk outside of Scripture?

or is that all you ever read.... smile.gif

I compare everything in my Christian walk to scripture. If it doesn't match up then whatever I experienced was wrong.

This is a growing trend in evaneglical circles. Scripture, or at least heavy reliance upon it, is becomming quite the stumbling block. So people, such as yourself, are beginning to go, "Oh come on, drop the Bible and just experience something!"

The Bible is the final authority and what you are experiencing is not. I have lived the Christian life, but I tell you that it is not in getting rid of demons or doing "mystical" things. It has been in serving the poor, helping the distraught, and being a witness in the "mundane" things in life. This I all learned from the BIBLE.

As for reading outside of the Bible....I read three books a week on average, sometimes less sometimes more (depending on the length of the books). Almost all are non-fiction. This does not change the fact that everything I read, experience, see, and do I compare to scripture. If it does not match up in anyway, then it is not true. WHat you are teaching, or at least supporting, is not backed up by scripture and as the article proved definately AGAINST scripture. This is why I do not appreciate an attitude that expects me to "experience" everything and place this on equal footing with scripture. A person that has done this is a person who will not last in his faith.

This is a growing trend in evaneglical circles. Scripture, or at least heavy reliance upon it, is becomming quite the stumbling block. So people, such as yourself, are beginning to go, "Oh come on, drop the Bible and just experience something!"

that was a tad bit of an exaggeration old boy...

I never said any such thing...nor would I say any such thing..

I believe scripture and I love the Word..

But I appreciate the wisdom that others have gleaned from the Word that I have not seen..

their experience...

I appreciate it very much as a matter of fact....

I do not know everything and it would sure take me a long time to know everything ..

so if You have heard from the Lord on something and can share it with me I say good..

I have the Holy Spirit in me to help me discern what is true and what is not...

Isn't that what a minister does on Sunday morning or whatever day you visit church?

sharing their experience with Jesus and His Word ....

I am not the least bit ashamed of my experience in the Lord and my heart is full of gratitude for His presence in my life ...

and I believe my life lines up with Scripture...

I experience Him every day... ;)

He is the very Living Word to me..... :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Experiences are good. We need to experience God in our lives daily, but if these experiences do not add up to the Word of God, then they are not of God. Be sure that what you are seeking is truly God and not an emotional high.

I believe scripture and I love the Word..

But I appreciate the wisdom that others have gleaned from the Word that I have not seen..

their experience...

I appreciate it very much as a matter of fact....

I do not know everything and it would sure take me a long time to know everything ..

so if You have heard from the Lord on something and can share it with me I say good..

I have the Holy Spirit in me to help me discern what is true and what is not...

There is an emphasis placed on the "Holy Spirit" for guiding us. Unfortunately, what people often claim is the Holy Spirit actually is quite the opposite. We often forget that it was by the guidance of the Holy Spirit that scripture was composed. Thus, it makes no logical sense when experience (such as what has been mentioned in this thread via books) contradicts what He wrote. Yes, someone might have experience in facing a demon, but this does not mean the person is correct. Island Rose gave us an excellent article that deals with the subject of how absolutely absurd some of the leaders in this movement have gotten. Spiritual laws that even God is bound by? Demons find a right to manifest themselves inside people? These contradict what scripture has taught us about the nature of God and the nature of His delivering people, in fact, the very idea of a deliverance ministry violates what scripture teaches us about God and true deliverance. Thus, why should I trust someone who goes, "This is a good book, the Holy Spirit told me so" when it is quite obvious that the premise of the book violates scripture? It is at that point that I know the Holy Spirit was not involved, just the person's will.

Isn't that what a minister does on Sunday morning or whatever day you visit church?

sharing their experience with Jesus and His Word ....

I hope that he is not basing his sermon solely off his experience! If that is the case, then I would quickly leave the church. Most pastor's that I know will spend hours, up to three to four hours a day, in preperation for their sermon. They explore the scripture, look at the context, study the history, look at the original language, pray to God for guidance, etc. They do everything until they have gained what the Lord wishes them to speak on that week. It is not merely a pastor getting up in the pulpit and going, "Well God told me this..." It is a pastor getting up there having studied the information and then speaking with authority on the scripture. These is not merely an experience. An experience is always subjective, if a pastor gives a view of scripture from experience, then he is giving us a subjective interpretation with no justification behind it. If, however, he gives us an interpretation from study with the context, he is most likely giving us an absolute interpretation. Though he can use experience to bolster his teaching, ultimately it comes down to an absolute with justification behind it.

It should be the same with these "deliverance" ministries. Instead of telling us about their experience or what has "worked," they would do better to do an actual scriptural study and provide scriptural justification for what they are claiming. Instead, they do not, because this would actually provide a hinderance to their "ministry."

I am not the least bit ashamed of my experience in the Lord and my heart is full of gratitude for His presence in my life ...

and I believe my life lines up with Scripture...

I experience Him every day... thumbsup.gif

He is the very Living Word to me..... wub.gif

Granted, but if your experience contradicts scripture then it is not a proper one nor one given by God. That has been my contention all along. There is too much emphasis placed upon experience in many evangelical circles. Experience is subjective and must be related to scripture. If it does not follow scripture, then it is a false experience.

My experiences do not contradict scripture... :whistling: