IGNORED

Should We Still "Be Fruitful and Multiply"?

Arka

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In Genesis 1:27-28, we are told that God commanded humans to "Be fruitful and multiply".

Does that commandment still stand? Should a woman have as many children as she is able? Basically, is childbearing still an absolute necessity for women?

In First Chronicles:

4:27 And Shimei had sixteen sons and six daughters: but his brethren had not many children, neither did all their family multiply, like to the children of Judah.

This verse seems to imply that not having many children is looked down upon. Is it?

The phrase "Be fruitful and multiply" appears in some variation numerous times throughout the Bible, but almost all of them are in the Old Testament. The one occurrence of it in the New Testament is in a letter by the Apostle Paul, and he is referring to what God told Abraham in the Old Testament. Were we only intended to multiply to a certain point? With over 7 billion people living on the Earth today, is having (or trying to have) as many children as Shimei in Chronicles still something all 2.2 billion Christians should strive for?

My knowledge on this subject is limited, but it seems to me like while we shouldn't necessarily be aiming for 22 kids, a lower number like 2 or 3 sounds more reasonable. Is there any direction on this in the New Testament?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,031
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

that's a good question....   looking forward to seeing some answers....   Pondering.....

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I think the commandment still stands, I know our society likes to plan every thing out down to a science but I think there is fun in some unpredictability. I grew up as an only child, so I wouldn't mine having a big family. I am a man so it is kind of easy for me to say that, but I do think children are a blessing. The way I figure it, if God allows me and my future wife to have a lot of children that means he already figured out a way for me and my future wife to provide for them. My gf and I also have discussed about adopting in the future because there are children out their who need good parenting and need to feel love in a world that started out brutal for them. I think it is important to enstill hope and teach Christianity to the youth because you can empower them for the rest of their lives and their souls would be saved.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I think the commandment still stands, I know our society likes to plan every thing out down to a science but I think there is fun in some unpredictability. I grew up as an only child, so I wouldn't mine having a big family. I am a man so it is kind of easy for me to say that, but I do think children are a blessing. The way I figure it, if God allows me and my future wife to have a lot of children that means he already figured out a way for me and my future wife to provide for them. My gf and I also have discussed about adopting in the future because there are children out their who need good parenting and need to feel love in a world that started out brutal for them. I think it is important to enstill hope and teach Christianity to the youth because you can empower them for the rest of their lives and their souls would be saved.

Please do this! I spent 8 years in foster care before being adopted by my family. I have three adoptive siblings and all of us plan on adopting at least one child.

One of the things that really made me feel comfortable and safe when I was first placed with my family was their peacefulness at home. No yelling, no arguing, and none of the abuse or neglect I'd suffered at previous foster homes. They took me with them to church and I learned about God, Jesus, and the Bible in a non-threatening way. I struggled with depression for a long time before I met my family and got saved. Ever since I learned that Jesus died for my sins and that God loves me, I've been much happier. Being placed in a loving home with gentle parents does a lot for kids who have no one and nothing in life. Even when I was a foster kid getting bounced around from place to place, I knew other foster kids who were Christian, and they were always more positive and happier than those of us who weren't religious. I didn't understand their outlook on life at the time, but now I know why they could remain so upbeat when going through everything foster kids do. The more children that are brought to God, the better!

Guest Judas Machabeus

Europe is having all kinds of problems with Muslims. Not from violence but the natural citizens are being out bred and the Muslims are slowly taking over by sheer numbers.

Christians have been too concerned with fancy cars, big screen tvs and nice vacations. All things that you can't afford if large families.

We have lost focus of what is important.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I think that while Judas has a point american christians have become complacent, the choice to have kids and how many should be up to each individual family. I don't think anyone is living "in sin" just because they wont have 12 gazillion children.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

If Paul (in a personal editorial in 1 Cor 7) could suggest non-marriage as a higher road for the committed Christian, I think it's safe to assume that wanton baby making is not a commandment in this era.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

You are correct Arka, pertaining to the term: "be fruitful" mentioned in the Old and New Testament. That would be a total of 9 times in the King James Version. You are also correct in it's meaning to populate in the book of Genesis. It was said to the fowl and creatures of the sea. (Genesis 1:22) Also to Adam and Eve. (Genesis 1:28). And again to the descendants of Noah, as to replenish, or repopulate after the flood. (Genesis 9:1). Abraham lived 175 years and his wife Sarah, 125 years. She had been unable to conceive or was "barren" as it was termed. Yet the Lord promised she would give birth to their son, Aaron... Though Sarah questioned how this could be possible, as she was beyond her years. I'm not sure what age was considered no longer able to concieve, knowing that people at that time still maintained a life span beyond our own.

"Should We Still Fruitful and Multiply?" Well right now, India and China among several other nations are very over populated. My now ex wife and I didn't have children, because she already had 3 sons from a previous marriage. They were a bit rambunctious, and I thought that was sufficient. They also had ravenous appetites, and nightly contests on who could eat the most, was occasionally frightening to see! :24: ROFL!  Anyway, according to the book of  Revelations, many millions will die to catastrophic events... Including plagues, famines and wars, etc. We've already had a recent topic in the forums on the End Times... It got a bit chaotic as usual, so let's not go there right now! It is my understanding both Mormon and Muslim desire highly numbered families for world wide religious domination. Last count, I think the Muslims have the current advantage.    

God bless you,

Shalom 

David/BeauJangles 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

In Genesis 1:27-28, we are told that God commanded humans to "Be fruitful and multiply".

Does that commandment still stand? Should a woman have as many children as she is able? Basically, is childbearing still an absolute necessity for women?

In First Chronicles:

4:27 And Shimei had sixteen sons and six daughters: but his brethren had not many children, neither did all their family multiply, like to the children of Judah.

This verse seems to imply that not having many children is looked down upon. Is it?

The phrase "Be fruitful and multiply" appears in some variation numerous times throughout the Bible, but almost all of them are in the Old Testament. The one occurrence of it in the New Testament is in a letter by the Apostle Paul, and he is referring to what God told Abraham in the Old Testament. Were we only intended to multiply to a certain point? With over 7 billion people living on the Earth today, is having (or trying to have) as many children as Shimei in Chronicles still something all 2.2 billion Christians should strive for?

My knowledge on this subject is limited, but it seems to me like while we shouldn't necessarily be aiming for 22 kids, a lower number like 2 or 3 sounds more reasonable. Is there any direction on this in the New Testament?

Hi Arka, I would say it's not for today, it shouldn't be just multiplying for multiplying sake. God commanded Adam and eve to do so because there was no one else but them. But for today God is not commanding the same. Marriage is honorable in the Lord yes and if the Lord so chooses for a wife to conceive children with her husband then that is what will be, because that's the natural course what takes place among couples who are together, but if some teacher is teaching that's one of the main causes for one to get married then they are absolutely wrong and are not rightly dividing the Word of God in truth. Scripture has to be placed and seen in it's proper context. The command to be fruitful and multiply was told specifically told to Adam and Eve for the plain reason at that point and time being that it was the will of God for it to be so. Edited by Alejandro84

Guest Judas Machabeus

I think that while Judas has a point american christians have become complacent, the choice to have kids and how many should be up to each individual family. I don't think anyone is living "in sin" just because they wont have 12 gazillion children.

I wasn't trying to imply that anything was sinful. You put it better, we have become complacent.

I'm am curious if choicing to have material things in place of children, where would that fall. Would that be sinful in light of the passage in Gen. If we are commanded to be fruitful and we choose not to be so that we can afford material things.

Interesting thought b