IGNORED

Should We Still "Be Fruitful and Multiply"?

Arka

Thanks for sharing that LetMeSowLove.  That is a wonderful story, and I agree with your conclusions.  Welcome to Worthy Boards.  I don't believe I have met you before. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/17/1991

Thank you Butero, and no - there are a lot of great people I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet on here. :) I hope that you have a beautiful and blessed morning!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I find it most interesting that most of those who want a zillion kids are male. It is a sometimes a badge of virility for men to boast of a lot of kids.

This is an interesting observation. I've never noticed this in my own experience; it's always been the women that are proud of having lots of children, and they're also the ones that want large families. I've only ever seen or heard of a few men that expressed a desire to have children, and none of them were married yet.

We have a lot of mormons in our area.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

I just think that the use of that scripture to support the plan to have multiple children as of fulfilling what God told Adam and Eve to do is just not the right application. Sure when a husband and wife lay together, children will be the result, and thats fine. But to think that thats the same message that God is telling believers under the new covenant to do, theres just no validity for it in scripture. When people read that portion of scripture it says unto Adam and Eve to do so, but people apply it to themselves somehow.

Husbands and wives in the Lord have kids yes Lord willing!, but just don't use that verse as a means of thinking you must plenish the earth because of it..its just the wrong app! lol

He was obviously speaking to the human race, not just Adam and Eve.  It can reasonably be argued that he was just blessing the human race and stating they are to be fruitful and multiply, but it can just as easily be telling us to go forward and have children.  As I said earlier, even though I don't personally believe in birth control, as I believe God should be left in control of how many children we have, I am not going to say that those who don't agree are in sin.  I just believe that having a lot of children is a blessing from God, as it states that a man that has his quiver full is blessed of God.  Most today look at having a lot of children as something bad. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

He was obviously speaking to the human race, not just Adam and Eve.

I don't understand.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

yes, it is in God's word :) 

All I was saying Arka, was God was speaking of the whole human race when he said to be fruitful and multiply.  He didn't mean that just Adam and Eve should be fruitful and multiply.  In other words, he wants the human race to continue to grow.  God didn't design all this family planning and it wasn't God that started all the fear mongering that the earth has too many people.  He wants us to continue having children. 

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Yes, the commandment is still in force. Everyone who is married by the power of God is giving that instruction. Now does that mean to constantly have sex and have many children as possible, probably not. But, should you say that you are only going to have 2 kids and then stop because one more would be a burden? It's probably a personal thing that we all should consult with the Lord about. But remember that one of the greatest blessings ever given to Abraham was the blessing of having a great posterity as innumerable as the sands of the sea or the stars. Since we are adopted into the seed of Abraham and are apart of that seed, we too can have that blessing, or partake of it with him.

Also, those Old Testament guys who had dozens and dozens of kids, they did it through polygamy. They had numerous wives, and in some cases concubines, that bore children, so don't think one wife has to do all of it herself! The whole house of Israel is from polygamist relationships and many great blessings came and will continue to come from that blessed and chosen line.