IreneM

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think it matters if our teachers, preachers are divorced and some of them more then once.????

Alot of preachers and teachers are now divorced and remarried do you think it matters one way or the other???

In Christ

IreneM

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

smiling, it obviously matters or the question would not have been asked. As someone who has been divorced and remarried I would say yes it matters a great deal on many different levels. First one's own guilt to deal with, two all the baggage one brings with them from the divorce that has to be dealt with. Does feel bad to feel like a second class citizen in the body of Christ, but that is all part and parcel of divorcing.

Time and the grace of the Lord can make one able to minister, but it is more time perhaps than we honestly want to acknowledge. I am not saying those of us who have went through a divorce are not forgiven, nor am I saying we could never preach or teach..... just that yes it matters. If one really repents and seeks God with all their heart, they may even have a lot to preach and teach. But how are we to know if someone has dealt with their baggage. It first takes a grieving process to recover from the divorce, and then if one is to remarry, that in itself will take a while to work out. So how long is long enough........... not sure, but I know it is not an overnight fix. Forgiven yes, walking it out takes time....... maybe even a miracle.

Having said that, one who has an affair is, imho, equally as wrecked as the one who goes through a divorce, but the damage isn't as readily apparent......

Bottom line is, imo, Sin matters.............. no matter what the sin and it affects ones ability to preach or teach. Or to even worship God in spirit and in truth. Yes it matters...........

Any pastor should be judged by his faithfulness and his humility.

Teachers are held to a higher standard by the Lord...but God spoke through Hosea when he was married to a prostitute

I would say that the answer to your question depends on a lot of variables. In this day of no-fault quickie divorces it is entirely possible that a person finds themselves divorced against their own will or conscious. You can't really fault a person who doesn't want to be divorced but ends up that way.

But an adulterer? That's a sign of unfaithfulness and I'd sit that person down for MANY years with no guarantee of ever being accountable to steward a body anywhere. He/she could still work in the ministry but would have to start at the bottom and regain spiritual authority (not carnal position) through servanthood.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

Amen Yod, well said............

the question was ask because many on tv and in the enteranment christian industry and those who say they are not preachers but teachers are divorced and remairred, Some like hal lindsy 4 times so wondered it is matters any more to those who listen, set under, and buy their products...........

Charles Stanly said he would step down if his wife went threw with her divorce he did not , Richard Roberts divorced his wife patty and married within 9 months is preaching and no one seems to mind.. Mike Warnke has has 5 wives now and is back on the comedy Christian road again no one seems to mind. Many more like wise are out there doing their thing assuming we don't care God does not care all is covered under the Cross and are forgiven....................

So the question was put out wonderering if we do care(as christians) if it does matter etc.........

Not being judgemental just asking..........

In Christ

IreneM

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

smiling, it obviously matters or the question would not have been asked. As someone who has been divorced and remarried I would say yes it matters a great deal on many different levels. First one's own guilt to deal with, two all the baggage one brings with them from the divorce that has to be dealt with. Does feel bad to feel like a second class citizen in the body of Christ, but that is all part and parcel of divorcing.

Time and the grace of the Lord can make one able to minister, but it is more time perhaps than we honestly want to acknowledge. I am not saying those of us who have went through a divorce are not forgiven, nor am I saying we could never preach or teach..... just that yes it matters.    If one really repents and seeks God with all their heart, they may even have a lot to preach and teach. But how are we to know if someone has dealt with their baggage. It first takes a grieving process to recover from the divorce, and then if one is to remarry, that in itself will take a while to work out. So how long is long enough........... not sure, but I know it is not an overnight fix. Forgiven yes, walking it out takes time....... maybe even a miracle.

Having said that, one who has an affair is, imho, equally as wrecked as the one who goes through a divorce, but the damage isn't as readily apparent......

Bottom line is, imo, Sin matters.............. no matter what the sin and it affects ones ability to preach or teach. Or to even worship God in spirit and in truth. Yes it matters...........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This really stirs up the mercy in my heart. Yet, I get wobbly over this divorce issue...wish people would maybe discipline themselves before God and man more?

There is no sin that will not be forgiven...yet as yod said...teachers are to have higher accountability. I do care. Maybe if I cared more I would pray more and speak up...maybe we all would. I feel like all of us are hurting someway because of this problem.

Yet, we see David...is not removed from his throne...even after murder and adultery...but his life was never really the same.

Guest PistosHuios

I have been "wobbly" as one put it as well. This is a question that this generation must find a firm conviction or i feel we may regret it.

The Bible seems painfully clear on what constitutes a standard to live by for our leaders. At one time I would have cried out "NO!" these men cannot preach. But reality has set in. Although I am blessed with what I consider a great marriage, my ex-roomate (college) is struggling. I see him wondering if He will ever get into the ministry.

Now I find myself promising him that wherever I minister he is welcome. It's a difficult issue. and as some have pointed out indeed many factors are at play.

I definatly think anyone in leadership who is going through a divorce, should be reomoved from that leadership. Also, I feel that if a person wants to be a pastor, deacon etc. the details surrounding the divorce are crucial. Why the breakup? Has this person changed tremendously.

Time has much to do with it too. If a divorce is recent, I think it not wise to promote this person to leadership. Also, if divorce is multiple, I would be hesitant, it shows a lack of judgement, and a lack of committedness. Again, if these things were distant past, with years of difference since, that changes things. Or if these things happened, pre-salvation, for we know the mighty works of our Lord, and he specializes in the renewing of our hearts and minds for his glory.

No man is perfect, but we must be careful. Great question. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

And the Scriptural Truth to this question was where????

:glare:

In His Truth,

Suzanne

right off the top of my head this comes to mind

I tim 4: 3-13

3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.

11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

also Math 5:32

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

seems it would also apply to the men

In Christ

IreneM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.

11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Thank you IreneM,

I hope that the counsel from the Word would be taken, and not from opinion of mankind.

Bottom Line

Malachi 2:16 "For the Lord God of Israel says That He hates divorce.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Edited by tsth