• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

I agree with the scripture and I really don't think someone who has been divorced should be in leadership...... I am one of those..... I have been divorced... I can serve the Lord in any capacity, have no need to be in leadership as it is not a power trip anyhow but a responsiblity.

However I do feel bad that divorced people, no matter how much they repent or serve God will always be made to feel like second class citizens or their sin will be ignored and be put into leadership without hesitation. Quite a delimia......

Guess I will go off quietly and seek God. I am sure as much as He hates divorce, I will find mercy and forgiveness at His feet.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Amen, Suzanne. When the Scripture is so clear that a leader should be the husband of only one wife and should have his house in order, can there really be any question?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

The Catholic Church does not allow divorce. However, they do allow for annulment.

The theology is that an annulment means that the marriage did not exist.

If there was no marriage, then there is no need for divorce.

According to the Church teaching, a marriage only exist when a man and woman, are united to each other, freely and in full knowledge and consent.

The annulment process looks at whether these two conditions were in place at the time the marriage took place. Was the marriage the result of a unwanted pregnancy? If so, then perhaps the two did not marry freely. Did one of the people have a secret that was unknown to the person, say for instance, the person was gay, or the person knowingly, was unable to have children, but never revealed that information. This would've prevented the other person from having full knowledge and of the commitment that he/she was going into. Also, alcoholism and drug addiction can be a factor, where a person was not able to make a commitment with full knowledge and consent.

According to a deacon that I'm a good friend with, the theology on annulment has changed a little. Before, where an annulment said that the marriage never existed, today it say's that although it may have marriage existed in the beginning, for some reason, it has ceased to exist. I'm not sure if this new theology is nothing more than a watering down of the original, by liberal Bishop's or not? From what I've read lately, Rome still holds that an annulment means that the marriage never existed and has been critical of US and Canada Bishop's, allowing annulments very loosely.

As a result, the preparation for marriage in the Catholic Church is more intense than ever before. My son is getting married next October. He and his fiance, must go through a discernment process which includes a week-end for engaged couples.

This week-end get's the couple to ask questions of each other that they probably never ask, and to learn exactly what they are committing themselves to. It takes about a year, before you can get married in the Catholic church these days.

I think it's the right step.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

wow, whether you call it a divorce or an annullment, what is the difference. And just because one got married because of a pregancy is not really grounds for a divorce or anullment......... Don't really care so much what the "church" teaches....what does the word say......

Can a man hold coals of fire to his chest without burning his clothes.......

Sin is sin, whether it is divorce, which many times, but not always is sin. Having sex out of wedlock is also sin.

I think the point we miss is this. God knows that sin damages us. And when a couple seperate, it does damage. It takes an act of God to fix that damage and we need to be honest with ourselves to recieve this healing........

Like I said, I have been divorced and remarried. I say, very humbly, in most cases, and because of what the word says maybe all, divorced people are not to be in position of leadership. Sorry if this offends people, but the truth is still the truth no matter how you or me feel about it. God is not mocked

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

In my opinion, the matter is really between the preacher, pastor, whatever, and the Lord.

However, I would echo Yod's statements in saying that I do not believe that such a one should be fit to instruct others. While the specifics of the divorce should be between the person and the Lord (Unless he feels that He should tell the congregation about them), I think that if they were wise eoungh they would see that this can be a great hinderance for others, and graciously step down from the position. Granted, a servant of the Lord cannot b perfect in all respects. And it would be foolish to expect a minister to be completely without sin. But there are some matters, such as infidelity, that simply cannot be overlooked.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

wow, whether you call it a divorce or an annullment, what is the difference

A marriage is a commitment to each other, which is given freely. An annulment says, marriage never happened.

And just because one got married because of a pregancy is not really grounds for a divorce or annulment

If a person got married as the result of an unwanted pregnancy, and was only getting married for that reason, then a marriage,(in the sacramental sense, not the civil) did not take place.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

In returning to Israel from Babylon...during Ezra's time...part of the spiritual renewal for the whole congregation was the "putting away" of pagan wives.

Then Ezra the priest stood up and said to them, "You have transgressed and have taken pagan wives, adding to the guilt of Israel.

Now therefore, make confession to the Lord God of your fathers, and do His will; seperate yourselves from the peoples of the land, and from pagan wives." Ezra 10:10-11

"Please, let the leaders of our entire congregation stand; and let all those in our cities who have taken pagan wives come at appointed times, together with the elders and judges of their cities, until the fierce wrath of our God is turned away from us in this matter." Ezra 10:14

This is not exactly the same problem as divorce and remarriage...Christians "usually" marry other Christians. But it does show God's will and His holiness...it makes me shake.

It also shows God wants us to "get right with Him". These paid a dear and severe price to honor the Lord...some had children by these pagan wives. Ezra 10:44

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I agree very strong with Yod :

But an adulterer? That's a sign of unfaithfulness and I'd sit that person down for MANY years with no guarantee of ever being accountable to steward a body anywhere. He/she could still work in the ministry but would have to start at the bottom and regain spiritual authority (not carnal position) through servanthood.

Amen Yod!

But how about the leaders who have rebellious children?

Angels

Guest The Chief

Hmmm...I wonder where in Scripture the practice of annulment is avocated? If memory serves me correctly, the Bible says "What God has joined, let no man pull asunder" (Matt 19:6). These people (man and wife) are joined in the eyes of our God; what right does the church have to change what is written, or to add to it?

The Bible should be our final authority on matters such as this, not a church council or pope deciding what God meant.

The Bible was written for the common man to know what God's word is for him/her, and doesn't require a bishop, cardinal, or even pope to interpret for the layity.

Divorce for adultery, as Jesus stated in Matthew 19:9 is the only acceptable reason...don't see annulment mentioned anywhere.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

An annulment says, marriage never happened.

Huh? :laugh: We can say something never happened all we want, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Sounds like heavy rationalization, but that is JMO.