• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

I have immense love for the Lord, but I have a hard time praying.

One is, I feel all my prayers bouncing off the top of my ceiling, not because God does not listen, but because my mind starts second guessing. After I pray, I start thinking, 'Did that get to God? What if it didn't'

Second thing is, I cannot really focus on God b'cos other thoughts pop up into my mind.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

GH

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Praying for you Gerda.... I think we have all been there at one time or another. God be with you!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I think we have all been there wondering if God hears and wondering if we are praying in the right way.

One thing that can help is a prayer diary to write down the names of various people, situations etc to prayer for.

I have heard people say that if they get distracting thoughts while praying or suddenly remember something, that they write them down and prayer about them, then carry on.

I think it helps to also have a routine and to have a place to go where you can be quiet before God (it might be a particular room in the house).  Some people start with a bit of Christian music and/or a bible reading first, but each person is different.

I have found all of the above helps, but then I also came to realise that we can also offer up prayer anywhere, on the bus, on the way to work, at work, doing the shopping etc.  

I often make a point of asking God to go with me and be with me each day  (not that he needs me to remind him,  its more a case that I need the reminder!)

About prayers reaching the ceiling and wondering if God hears, a prayer dairy can also help with this and can be used to record answers to prayer.  You would be surprised just how many answers to prayer there actually are when you keep a record!

There are also lots of books out there with useful ideas and information which might help, although one thing I would say, is just be yourself.  

I spent years trying to follow other people's formats for prayer (how, when, how much, where etc) it all just made me feel inadequate and guilty.  

Then I realised that God just wanted me to be me and come as I am, not as someone else.  

Prayer should not be a burden or a chore but it can become like that if we get bogged down worrying about it too much.  We can talk to God and share with him, just as you might another person or a close friend.  Indeed he is closer than a brother.

Another revelation for me was when I realised God delights in our prayer. Even if it sounds rubbish to us, God understands what we are trying to get across.

Some of the most amazing answers to prayer in my life have been when I have not really known how to pray and I have just had to come to God with a sincere heart and

hoped he understood what I was trying to say.

Some prayers can just be one word "help".

Prayer does not have to be well rehearsed or eloquent, just honest and straight from the heart.

Take care.

x

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. Luke 11:1

Praying~!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I remember reading or hearing about a Christian brother who would close himself in a room and have himself two chairs, one for himself and one for Jesus.  Then he would pray like that.  Inviting Jesus to sit across from him and he would fellowship with him.  Because after all He is always with us and why not offer Him a seat and tell him your requests?

Edited by Williamt3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I have immense love for the Lord, but I have a hard time praying.

One is, I feel all my prayers bouncing off the top of my ceiling, not because God does not listen, but because my mind starts second guessing. After I pray, I start thinking, 'Did that get to God? What if it didn't'

Second thing is, I cannot really focus on God b'cos other thoughts pop up into my mind.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

GH

Hi

Yeah I get the whole thought distraction thing as well. I used to say sorry God for getting distracted and then keep praying when I realised several minutes later.

As to doubts about prayer have you ever had prayer answered before? When I was ten years old I prayed that I would come second in a race at school the next day. I normally would be in a battle not to come last. The guy who came first also battled not to come last normally and it is the only time in my life I have beaten my brother in a race. So I remember that answer to prayer. While I think it was a bit selfish I believe God answered yes because I was seeking him and he wanted to make sure I found him. I also think of times when God has looked after me like when I had a seizure one night and was in hospital overnight. The following day I had a job interview and got the job as well as won my court case all while my face was literally black and blue from bruising and fresh stitches. This helps me remember that God cares for me and looks after me. Perhaps try thinking of situations in your life where prayer has been answered or God has looked after you.