KnoxNurse

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am new to this area, the whole state actually and I really need to find the RIGHT church. Honestly, I have not attended church regularly in about 8 years. I need to stop running. I always have so many excuses when it comes to not going. I guess I am mainly just afraid of putting myself out there and having to get to know new people. It's hard for me to trust new people. I grew up in one church my entire life and I feel like every time I walk into the doors of a new one I always compare it to my "home" church. The new church never feels quite like home so I don't ever go back. Being in a new state, however, I need to be going somewhere regularly. I need the support system and to really just grow in my faith, I am missing all these things in my life right now because I have no church home.

So, how do I find the right one? Any advice or thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

By your title and your state, I am going to assume you are in the Knoxville area.  Not sure what kind of church your home church was, but here is a good place to start.  You can do some homework.

Here is a more intense map of all the local churches.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings KnoxNurse

I do know what you are saying about comparing to that "home" church etc,,,,,,Also,about the benefits of corporate praise & worship and the desire to have that .........it is a void and there is nothing quite like having "church"-   Glory to God    I don't know how to help but I can certainly share my experience with you in the hopes that it will encourage you to put forth more effort in this endeavor

I had a "home" church & it was truly a wonderful experience to spend Sunday Mornings with my long time friends,the Body of Christ,we had a fantastic Spirit filled pastor who was a loving,kind shepherd who always had time for one of the Lords little sheep & to make a long story short,,,,,the pastor & his lovely wife were killed in an auto accident,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we were crushed,broken and grieving but our Head,Jesus,,,,,directed His Members footsteps & we came together as an effective Body........all was well for nearly a year,with no pastor & then we got a new pastor,,,,,,,,,,,,,many left,traditions of men were put into place and I had such a struggle with leaving until my eyes were opened one day and I realized that I had all the wrong reasons for attending "church",,,,,,,,it was all about "feelings",it did not FEEL the same with pastor gone,it FELT great to be with my friends,familiararity FELT comfortable,Praise & Worship FELT great,,,,,,,but HEARING GODS WORD  was not my focus & neither was being with God ,,,,,,,if it FELT good,it was what I sought......it was all about me

I went to a new church,with a new attitude & a willingness to change "me",,,,not the churches,not the music,not the comradery,not the pastor,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was going with GOD,bringing Him with me,inside me, to this House of Praise & Worship,,,,,I was going to this new place to HEAR GODS WORD .It took a long time to "fit in" but I was growing in my faith because my eyes were fixed on Jesus,,,,,things started to change,,,,,,I am a singer,so I joined the Praise Team & it became less of a performance & more of a "team",I began to teach Bible Study for the young ones as I did for many years before and many wonderful things happened and lots of good stuff,,,,,,,, the Holy Spirit was able to use me because I  got out of His Way

Recently,it was time to BE MOVED once again,to a new church,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is much bigger,the congregation seems "dead": to me ,I don't care for the music---lol    BUT,the teaching ,preaching & HEARING GODS WORD is excellent,,,,,,,,,,,,,I FELT uncomfortable in the midst of these very quiet ,reserved people,,,,,,,,,,,,Well,I now seat myself right in the font row so I am not distracted by what anyone else is or is not doing,the few songs they sing to praise our Lord is not my taste but I am sure it is pleasing to God & I sing my heart out in the front row-lol     I am singing for my Lord,I clap & raise my hands & rejoice ,,,,I even get out my "Amens" & have no clue what is going on behind me because I am there with my Lord............focused on Him

Well,guess what?  God is just Awesome & what He can do through a willing servant.!!!!!...........I started hearing rustling & "Amens" behind me one Sunday & I turned around & what do you think I saw? lol---people standing with their hands lifted on high,shouting "Amen & Glory to God"......after service people came over & hugged me,saying very nice things that they wanted to celebrate our Lord too,,,,,,at first,I was all alone in the front row & now it is filled,,,,,,,,,,,,,Praise the Lord!!!!!!    I am nothing special,the Same Spirit is in me that is in them & is in you,the Same Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let that Holy Spirit do what He does and let go of self,,,,,,,you will find a church in no time ,,be Blessed & be a Blessing                 just my 2 cents,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,make the effort,so much in sharing with the brethren

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10

Thanks to both of you for sharing with me :)

I know I need to just get out there and try new churches.

I just hope I feel it in my heart when I find the right one.

Something to pray for...

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I am new to this area, the whole state actually and I really need to find the RIGHT church. Honestly, I have not attended church regularly in about 8 years. I need to stop running. I always have so many excuses when it comes to not going. I guess I am mainly just afraid of putting myself out there and having to get to know new people. It's hard for me to trust new people. I grew up in one church my entire life and I feel like every time I walk into the doors of a new one I always compare it to my "home" church. The new church never feels quite like home so I don't ever go back. Being in a new state, however, I need to be going somewhere regularly. I need the support system and to really just grow in my faith, I am missing all these things in my life right now because I have no church home.

So, how do I find the right one? Any advice or thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Pardon me for this observation (if it is incorrect)-

When you came to God in belief and you asked Him into your being did you understand that you

then became a purchased possession of Christ's and you are not your own any more... it is a

growth process whereby we give over our defensive process for His care and responsibility :)

Love, Steven

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I so agree with Kwik. I am drawn to the place where the word of God is expounded upon. This is the kind of teaching that goes through a whole book of the Bible and may take 18 months to accomplish this. It covers background information as well as personal application, and many cross references to other parts of the Bible where the same idea is mentioned.

Normally a new church made me feel like I was wandering in the wilderness. I avoided churches that were solomn, cold and dead, though. My new church felt immediately like home only once, and that was a place where I went through a lot of mistreatment by people, so I really needed that confirmation along with others that this is where God wanted me to serve Him for a time--14 years. Like Kwik, I am there to study, grow, and to worship. Sometimes growing means growing in patient endurance, enduring the insults and injuries of other christians and responding to them in a Christ like Way. This requires a death of self and a determination to treat them the way I would want to be treated.

Like Kwik, I raise my arms and my face to the heavens and sing praises to God in worship. Now, I really don't care if other people are clapping their hands or even singing a traditional hymn by rote while they are texting. When I am singing to God in worship and praise my heart is abandoned to Him and I don't notice what others are doing.

When my kids were having trouble making friends in a new school I would tell them to be a friend to someone. Since you are working it may be harder to attend smaller womens groups to get acquainted, but often a mid week service would do as well, depending on your schedual. But it does take some effort to get acquainted more than a hand shake. It takes risk to open yourself to people. Some churches encourage people to keep up a "front" of cheerfulness. I don't practice that. It reminds me of the Brittish sitcom, "Keeping Up Appearances".

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6

Topic= Finding the right church.

The church that Jesus left us can be found in the Holy Bible.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Join the church of Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Join the church of Jesus Christ.

Care to give your definition of the "church of Jesus Christ"? Is this the Mormon church you speak of?

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The Mormons? Aren't those the weird bearded men in the mountains of Utah? No, I said the church of Jesus Christ. I'm still looking for it myself. I don't want to join the church of Luther, or the church of the Catholics, or the church of King Henry VIII, or the church of whoever decides to throw one up somewhere, or the church of the non-denominational...... I want to join the church of Jesus Christ. If you find it, let me know so I can investigate it please.