hamletcat

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I have been going to a bible study meeting at my church. And recently two of the members got into a heated discussion over the interpretation of scripture. Basically one person accused the other person of interpreting a piece of scripture incorrectly. It started off as respectful conversation, but then in the end one person got up and left the room. We never really resolved the situation, and we have some tension in the group as a result.

I personally believe that we all are supposed to interpret scripture differently because god has different plans for each one of us, and part of his plan does include that we have different interpretations of scripture. Therefore I don't think anyone should ever "correct" someone's interpretation of scripture, especially after they have experienced a revelation. I think it is ok to share one's own interpretation if it helps someone come to a revelation, but I don't think it is ok to tell someone their interpretation is "incorrect." I think doing this would just steer them away from doing the work god has planned for them, and that wouldn't be a good idea.

Please share your opinion if possible.

:thumbsup:

Use Scripture

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

With Love

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 2 Timothy 2:24

To Interpret Scripture

To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. Titus 3:2

Guest Teditis

I think that it's important to remember the verses that Joe gives from Timothy & Titus...

these are commands that we are given, especially when presenting the Gospel.

Many who try to drive a point home with wrangling and arguing are not only sinning

in being disrespectful to others they are showing God contempt through their own

haughtiness of spirit, and forgetting the Grace and Mercy that that brought any knowledge

to themselves... if they indeed have any knowledge at all. And in the end they become those

noisy gongs and cymbals that nobody wants to listen to anyway, which btw, robs God of an 

effective tool to present the Gospel or give sound doctrine and knowledge.

People like that need to be prayed for because they can effectively drive people away from God

rather than encourage them towards God and truth and understanding. They are having the

exact opposite effect that they are striving for.

Still, a bit of disagreement is to be expected and not shied away from. Also, learning to see

the wold through someone else's perspective isn't a bad thing either. Their ministry might

be our own some day and we can do well by learning from others how to approach such subjects.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Wow, thank you both. This will help us in the future.

Other opinions are still welcome.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

God has made us all different.  How we need to apply the truth in our lives will differ, but scripture has only one truth.  Humbly seek His leading through the Holy Spirit and live what He shows you.  In all humility, discuss how you see scripture and do not become one of those "I'm right and you are wrong" debaters.  All this does is slam doors and builds walls.  When one takes this attitude, they have forgotten what Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 13 when he informs us that as long as we are alive in this life, we never will have a full and complete understanding of scripture.  He does teach us, and what He teaches is true, but the fault lies in us as we take what He teaches and store it in our minds.  We do not always store what He teaches, but what we take from what He teaches.  This is where the error arises.

Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I disagree with your comment that were all supposed to interpret scripture and not correct each other. If that were true there'd be no point in a Bible study. Scripture means what God wrote it to mean-there is in reality only one right interpretation of scripture.

With that said we are human we are not perfect. None of us have a perfect understanding of scripture and we all see things different. Some things we get right some we don't. That is the point of bible study's and discussions. Iron sharpens iron as the apostle Paul said. Its also good for reproof and correction (1 Tim 3:15)

The point of a good discussion is to learn from scripture. We need to make sure we do it in love-and even be willing to admit were wrong on occasion.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings hamletcat,,,

I do agree with Pat (iron  sharpens iron) as long as it does remain a discussion (reason TOGETHER)......too many times it turns into a debate & I have even heard the words "iron sharpens iron" to justify a heated debate,talk about a misinterpretation! I never see the need for debate of any kind except to drive home ones point of view,,,,,there are many verses of Scripture that one can  have a different perspective but it should result(in context)in the same Truth,Gods Truth revealed by the Power of the Holy Spirit.....& I did say "a different perspective",that does not mean a different interpretation

If the Holy Spirit is orchestrating the discussion and every individual playing  their own instrument is following the Mistro then everyone will play the same music in one accord,,,,,,,,,,it is when "self" starts to stick it's ugly head out that things do not turn out well, ,,,,

And in the end they become those
noisy gongs and cymbals that nobody wants to listen to anyway,                                                                                          posted by Teditis

It is not difficult to listen,understand what & why someone believes as they do & explain that if you agree with them ,you will both be wrong(just kidding!),,,,,All kidding aside,listening is the key to teaching or correcting someones error,when the Holy Spirit is our guide,all things are done with love & it is well received,,,,,,,,,,,,,Glory to God             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

My Pastor and I disagree a lot about interpretations of some Scripture. Granted he is an educated Pastor, but also I have been to seminary and have a Mastors in Theology. We listen to each other and respect each others opinion and it never affects our relationship. I feel sad that it did in this case. I hope reconciliation happens. It is okay to hold on to your own beliefs and still maintain a relationship. I will pray for healing to occur. I am sorry you are so deeply affected by this. Maybe you can be a mediator?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Often confused is the "what this verse means to me" issue.  http://textsincontext.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/of-ponds-and-pitfalls/

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I don't even have an issue with debate, even a heated one as long as it doesn't turn personal. I think thanks to political correctness people are way to touchy either so scared to offend they don't speak truth or so easily offended you can't speak truth to them. Jesus used strong words so did His apostles. If you don't think debate is biblical do a Bible study on Mars Hill sometime.

Now keep in mind by debate I mean two sides presenting their views, opinions and evidence to support it. I'm not talking about slinging insults-it needs to be focused on the subject. I see to many people who get mortally offended just because someone said they were wrong. Well guess what were not always right, and even if they think your wrong doesn't necessarily mean that you are. Debates OK there's nothing wrong with it. If you don't like them that's fine-dont participate in them. Nothing wrong with that. But if you enter one buckle up and put a helmet on, and debate the subject-not the person.