hamletcat

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I need some opinions on this topic. For those who I have read my other posts, you'll probably understand the context for why I am asking this.

A little background first. I was born into a family of atheists and my husband is an atheist. I also am surrounded by atheists most of the time on a day to day basis. I recently started attending church and studying the bible and my main reason for doing so is that I wanted to "adopt" the Christian values. Because my grandparents were Christians and attended a united Church and I remember going with them, and that the values of Christianity were good. I was even baptized, but it was a long time ago and I barely remember anything about the Christian Church. Really the only thing I remember was loving Jesus, which is what probably brought me back to the church.

He's where the problem is. I seem to be running into issues with some other Christians. They seem to almost "take offence" as to some of my beliefs. And some of them seem to try to convert me to their way of thinking, and they almost get angry about my belief system. There was one issue in my bible study that happened recently where one person took offence to the fact that I didn't believe that Jesus was a "zombie." Sorry if that seems offensive but I don't know how else to describe it. I do believe that Jesus might have survived the Crucifixion but I don't believe he was a "zombie." I tried to explain that we have "scientific" proof that people can survive death. People have come back to life after being pronounced dead and also we also know there have been people who have been buried alive. I guess my beliefs were somehow threatening to the other person, and I am sensitive to that. However, some of the other people in the study group were afraid to talk after that. Especially this one person who also believes the same thing I do, he's afraid to share at all now. So what I am wondering, if I have beliefs that don't exactly match what the bible says determines whether or not you are in fact a Christian, should I just say that I am not a Christian?

I do believe in God and I do allow Christ to live through me (at least I try). I also repent and conjure the power of the Holy Spirit within myself, so that god can lead me in the right direction. But I really don't want to offend other people either, because I know that in order for them to follow Christ they need to believe exactly what it says in the bible.

Another thing that seems to be causing problems, is that some of the Christians that I am around, are really focused on salvation and the afterlife. Where that is not my focus. I don't really concern myself with the afterlife. I believe the kingdom of god is here and now, and so my thoughts on salvation have to do with the building of the kingdom of god right now. In other words I am not waiting for the death of my physical body in order to "be saved." I know this is confusing to Christians who think about salvation in terms of the afterlife. But I don't know what to do, because it really seems to upset them. It seems to cause friction whenever I share my opinion.

I want to still attend church, read the bible and participate in bible study. On the other hand I don't want to upset the Christians that I come in contact with. I am just wondering if it is better to tell people that I am most likely not a Christian. I don't really know what to do.

Any opinions would help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Youn have to ask yourself - what does Jesus mean to you?

You have to do this before you can answer the question raised by your post.

BTW - Jesus was not a zombie.

The fundamental essence of being a Christian is that Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected for our sins. If you believe otherwise, you're not a Christian.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

Hi hamletcat, I'm a little confused, are the Christians that you are around say that Jesus became a zombie? If this is what their saying they are deceived and do not believe the gospel.

You do know that Jesus was and is God in the flesh and that his physical body did literally die, being fully dead, and how even Jesus said throughout his ministry and even said to let these sayings sink down into your ears: that the he would be crucified and rise again On the third day?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I am going to take a guess on this.

A zombie is a person who died, and is now 'undead'. 

I looked up a definition:

a corpse said to be revived by witchcraft, especially in certain African and Caribbean religions.

synonyms: living dead, undead, walking dead, soulless corpse
"why is he walking around like a zombie?"

Ok, so if Jesus died, and was resurrected, some might view that as a zombie. I don't think Jesus fits that definition because while Jesus body died, Jesus is God and God did not die. The question is, what was Jesus nature, that he was in a body, was man and God.

Guest shiloh357
He's where the problem is. I seem to be running into issues with some other Christians. They seem to almost "take offence" as to some of my beliefs. And some of them seem to try to convert me to their way of thinking, and they almost get angry about my belief system. There was one issue in my bible study that happened recently where one person took offence to the fact that I didn't believe that Jesus was a "zombie."

If I might ask, what kind of church do you attend?   I mean, what denomination?  I also wonder about the spiritual condition of the people in the group you are studying with. since you indicate that more than one  person in his group believes that Jesus was a zombie. 

Another thing that seems to be causing problems,

is that some of the Christians that I am around, are really focused on salvation and the afterlife.

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Without Jesus

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? John 11:25-26

There Is Hell

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

To Pay

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:11-15

~

So, Who Cares?

Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:20-21

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

When people are judgmental they limit themselves and you both at the same time.  First, I would find a less judgmental group of Christians.  Second, I would seek out a good mentor.  It sounds like your just starting your walk and to be loosly planted is to be quickly uprooted.  First and foremost I would say maintain your faith in Jesus and the fact that the holy spirit will come and do what he has promised within you.  This relationship is the foundation of your existence.  Beyond this seek out those who are matured enough to serve others in love not pride.  Pride says 'you are wrong, let me show you the right way'.... Love is patient, kind, long suffering and endures, it uplifts not tears down, it offers more of itself than it asks of you.  Seek those who are founded in the good fruits promised by Yeshua, not those who base their foundation on what 'you' are not. 

In short, don't deny what you believe you are simply because others disagree with your expression of faith.  Express the faith that God has given you in Messiah and seek to follow his commads as given through the holy spirit to your inner heart.  If others disagree, love them as you would want to be loved, and gravitate toward others who do the same.

May God bless you with just that.... peace, that surpasses all understanding. 

You are letting people's opinion of you have too much effect upon you. You are not of this world. Your home is in heaven. Be proud that you are saved; Christ is proud of you. You need to decide what is more important to you - people's opinions or your relationship with Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Ok that really helps a lot. Now I can understand where problem is coming from. It is differences in the interpretation of scripture on both parts, that are leading us to "think" we have different beliefs, and then that matters. We are coming from different denominations. Our bible study group is made up of people from different churches. Pentecostal, baptist, mennonite, etc.

So now that I know this is the problem, what do I do whenever there is an issue over scripture, because with our group I know it is going to come up again. And I want everybody to participate openly and honestly. Do I just say that "I think it is ok that everyone's interpretation and application of scripture are personal? And the god means it to be that way."

Edited by hamletcat

Guest shiloh357

Ok that really helps a lot. Now I can understand where problem is coming from. It is differences in the interpretation of scripture on both parts, that are leading us to "think" we have different beliefs, and then that matters. We are coming from different denominations. Our bible study group is made up of people from different churches. Pentecostal, baptist, mennonite, etc.

So now that I know this is the problem, what do I do whenever there is an issue over scripture, because with our group I know it is going to come up again. And I want everybody to participate openly and honestly. Do I just say that "I think it is ok that everyone's interpretation and application of scripture are personal? And the god means it to be that way."

If you have a group that is claiming that Jesus was a zombie, you have HUGE problems.   That notion completely undercuts the resurrection of Jesus and what it means to us.

What you have been describing about this group in this thread and the other one demonstrates some major theological problems with the people whom you are studying with.   Claiming Jesus was a zombie is a major false teaching, not minor difference that believers can agree to disagree on. 

Despite the different denominations, it sounds like you have some people who are woefully errant in their view of Jesus.  

Interpretation isn't personal.   Application is personal.  Interpretation is objective and speaks to the meaning the author intends for us to take from the text.  For them to say that Jesus was a zombie demonstrates that a huge interpretation issue is in play.

One other question...  Who is leading this study group??