hamletcat

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I was wondering if people can share the process for how they communicate with god or get to know his will. And if so, how you know it is authentic communication with god. Thanks so much.

Guest shiloh357

Hi, I was wondering if people can share the process for how they communicate with god or get to know his will. And if so, how you know it is authentic communication with god. Thanks so much.

God communicates to us through His Word.  He has already spoken to us and has said all He is going to say to us in the Bible.   You get to know His will through the Scriptures he has given.

There are books available and they are inexpensive that show what the Bible has to say in various circumstances of our lives and over various topics.  You can pick them up for $5 - $10.

Don't fall for those who claim to get direct communication or have direct person-to-person conversations with God.  It's all a sham.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

Edited by Shimshon

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

There are many ways that God speaks to us today.  

Firstly, He speaks to us through His word, the Bible.  II Timothy 3: 16 says:  All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Second, He speaks to us through the revelation of His Son, Jesus Christ.  Hebrews 1: 1-2  In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 

Jesus was sent by God to make a way for us to be reconciled to God and reading the gospels is a good way to begin learn about God's love for His creation

Third, the Bible tells us that nature itself tells of the nature of God.  Romans 1:20  For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Fourth, we learn about God from other believers.  In I Corinthians we learn about the gifts that God makes available through His Holy Spirit to believers.   This does  not mean

that every person who teaches or preaches has been called by God to do so however.  Just as we read about false teachers in the New Testament, we have those today as

well as false prophets and so on.  That is why we begin with the Bible so that we can identify that which is false as God does not deviate from His written word

Fifth, we learn through the Holy Spirit Who indwells believers.  Unfortuneatly, some believers reject the operating of the Holy Spirit apart from what they understand with

their minds.  This does not mean they are not saved, but some go so far as to mock the gifts God gives through His Spirit and some go the other way and try to use the

Holy Spirit and give credence to things that are false.

Again, that is why it is so important to know and study the Bible.

And of course prayer is another way we can get to know God better.  

Alot more could be said, but you can see that there are many ways that we can know God and He does speak to us today in our hearts through His Spirit, through

other believers, in prayer and in order to have discernment, through His word.  If something does not check out according to the Bible, that is, if it sounds way out there

or promises an experience or revelation apart from what God has already said, then it is best to avoid it.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  49

Thank you very much everybody. Your responses have been extremely helpful in clearing up a few things for me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

With me, I noticed the more time I spend with God, the more I can hear Him, I'll pray, worship, and even be quiet and meditate on God and being aware of His presence through out the day. When I read scripture from that place, it comes alive and Holy Spirit starts teaching you from scripture. I've noticed He'll use believers to confirm things also, like when you read the bible and go to Church and the sermon just so happens to be on what you just read. He also speaks through dreams, visions, prophetic words of others, which never will take away or add on to scritpure, but will compliment the word and make scripture more personal. 

Just to clarify, if God is calling you to be a missionary in Iraq, you will not find in the bible that you personally are called for that, You can find in the bible how a missionary is supposed to function and how the Apostles brought the Gospel to hostile areas and gain a foundation for that, but you cannot find, "I have called hamelcat to be a missionary" in the bible. That can be revealed through a dream, prophetic word, conviction of your heart, and will be confirmed over and over again. With that, it's important to learn prophetic protocal with judging and weighing words. 

Acts 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

With hearing God, really it all comes down to relationship. In your intimate time with Him, you get to know Him.

John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Every way the Lord communicates with us is through the Holy Spirit. When we read the word and gaining revelation, that revelation is through the Holy Spirit revealing the word. The bible is a closed book apart from the Holy Spirit. On another note, Holy Spirit will never lead you away from scripture but deeper in scripture. He will never contradict scripture, however, He will contradict our understanding of scripture.

John 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Holy Spirit has been given to us to be our teacher. He will teach us all things, He will use Scripture, other believers, teachers, dreams, visions, all to convey His heart toward us. 

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

People take lightly the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit is God Himself with us and in us, transforming us into the image of Him.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

With me, I noticed the more time I spend with God, the more I can hear Him, I'll pray, worship, and even be quiet and meditate on God and being aware of His presence through out the day. When I read scripture from that place, it comes alive and Holy Spirit starts teaching you from scripture. I've noticed He'll use believers to confirm things also, like when you read the bible and go to Church and the sermon just so happens to be on what you just read. He also speaks through dreams, visions, prophetic words of others, which never will take away or add on to scripture, but will compliment the word and make scripture more personal.

:thumbsup:

As I See It, First The Heart (And The Tears) For The Lost

But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. Matthew 9:36

And Than The Fire For

Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest. Matthew 9:37-38

The Walk

And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. Luke 12:11-12

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Col 3:15 GNB
(15)  The peace that Christ gives is to guide you in the decisions you make; for it is to this peace that God has called you together in the one body. And be thankful.

hearing from God comes first by finding out what He has already said to us all in His written word; the more you know of what He has said in His written word, the more you will be able to recognize His leading as you make decisions during each day, as He will not lead you contrary to His revealed written word.  as you read His word, ask Him in prayer to reveal to you what that written word actually means and confidently expect that understanding to come to you without setting time limits on how long that might take, and be careful to interpret scripture only in a way that harmonizes with the whole of the Bible, as no scripture stands alone - many have floundered by taking a scripture by itself while ignoring other scripture that would interpret and clarify it.  be careful to not restrict yourself to one transliteration of the Bible; the KJV can be hard to understand, but it's the most predominantly used translation, so if you use a more modern translation as your primary Bible, refer back to the KJV as well; dictionaries and commentaries can also be a help where they reveal potential alternate interpretations of the original languages used in the oldest texts.  when you face a decision, always check for peace (not fear); often the way to perceive the choice with the most peace is to first eliminate the choices that are troubling to you, while striving to not be led by fear.

Rom 12:1-2 GNB
(1)  So then, my friends, because of God's great mercy to us I appeal to you: Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service and pleasing to him. This is the true worship that you should offer.
(2)  Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God---what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect.

many know God as Savior, but few know Him as Lord. when someone is your lord, you strive to yield to their authority whether your flesh likes it or not; you seek their instructions and follow those instructions without question or debate; you do not make your own decisions and ask them to approve of them.

Pro 2:1-9 KJV
(1)  My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
(2)  So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
(3)  Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
(4)  If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
(5)  Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
(6)  For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
(7)  He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
(8)  He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
(9)  Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.

you have to 'incline your ear' (which is to say change the way you make decisions from focusing on your own limited knowledge and understanding to focusing on God's Holy Spirit within you) to 'hear' from God.  He speaks in a 'still, small voice' in a world where the devil is always shouting; if you practice 'hearing' His voice in the decisions you make where the consequences of missing His leading seem small, then when you get to a potentially life-altering decision, you will know how to 'tune out' the world and focus on His 'still, small voice'.

hope that helps!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings hamletcat

As you can see,you got 6 different people giving you 6 individual,personal replies ......because we each have individual,personal relationships with our Lord.They are all correct plus there are so many more ways God communicates with us but what you receive will never ,ever,ever oppose Scripture,,,,NEVER.Shiloh is right,the Living Word is what God has to say to us,it is finished,,,,,nothing needs to be added ,,,,,it is His Love letter,Instruction Book,Handbook for daily living & everything we need to know has b een written already & that is why when He speaks to us in any other way,it never contradicts the Scriptures

We can receive guidance,Wisdom,Understanding,Answers ,direction and anything we need by the Power of the Holy Spirit and that will ALWAYS come with confirmation,either by the Scriptures or by 2 or 3 witnesses etc,,,,      visions,dreams,angels unaware,other people,sermons,a knowing inside of you,something laid on your heart & out of the mouths of babes.........God is not a God of confusion,when He speaks you know,you have peace & comfort,Wisdom & Understanding............

I always say that when someone wants to talk to a friend ,they pick up the phone,right?If you do not pick up the phone & dial the number then how do you expect to hear your friend? That is the Bible,lots of numbers (Scripture verses) & they are all a direct line to God,,,,,,,if you never pick up the phone you can't make a call!God hears even your thought before you you even know your thought,,,,,,he knows our heart,read His Word with all your heart open to receive His Living Word,knowing about God will surely lead to knowing God,,,,prayer,prayer,prayer ,,,,,,ask,praise,worship,talk,,,,,He will answer                         With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  39

Hamletcat,

When you pray you are talking to God. When you read His word He is talking to you.

The Bible says that God knows what you need before you ask Him, Matt 6:8. This means that all your questions are answered in the Holy Scriptures. It takes a lot of study to understand what the Bible is saying to us, we must search for truth as we would for hid treasure, Pro 2:4.

When a person starts to study it may seem overwhelming, so after a little reading they give up, because they don't believe they are learning anything.

I have studied the Bible for many years, and I have found that you need to study the Bible Topically. This means you pick out a subject or a doctrine that you want to understand, then look up all the scriptures that pertain to the subject, analyze them, compare what they all say, then try to determine what they are saying when you put them all together. Understand that many scriptures just give a part of the whole truth so you must put all the scriptures together to find the whole truth.

If you are truly serious about understanding God's word you need a concordance, and a good Bible encyclopedia, at the least a Bible dictionary. Then most of all you need to pray to God for His Holy Spirit, to help you understand.

Every time you learn a Bible doctrine you have a priceless gem, that no one can take from you, so take your time and do not feel confused, because it takes time to learn, but the time is positively worth the effort.

Remember, there are only three professions listed today, Medicine, law, and Religion. Each one takes many years to become proficient. Don't give up, because everything you learn makes you that much closer to God. If you truly want to feel close to God, I believe it makes a difference if you use God's personal name when you pray, Jehovah is God's personal, proper name, and this name, represented by four Hebrew letters, YHWH, God caused to be written in His word, over 7,000 times. So He must want His name used by people who love Him. Most Bible writers have substituted LORD, or GOD, in all capital letters, whenever His name was originally written.