IGNORED

Need assistance with discernment...

Guest AuroraAngels7

Guest AuroraAngels7

Hello,

I have an uncle who was brainwashed back in the 70's and moved his family (wife + 5 daughters) into a communal-type of housing facility. He was brutally abusive to his wife and daughters - cruel. She divorced him, he remarried an impressionable young woman who had two boys and he did many inhuman, depraved and cruel things to them as well - all abuse he justified with passages from the bible and by staying close to those who believe exactly what he believes. He went to prison for 15+ years for what he did to the two boys and when he was released, went to live with his mother until he could get back on his feet. Not once did he take responsibility for his actions. He only spoke of prison as "getting sent up river" or "those people who sent me to prison." Always used terms that did not describe the horror he put his families through. One day he made demands of my grandmother and locked himself in his room. Since Grandma is 83 years old my mother went to help and my uncle ended up walking out, quitting his job and we haven't heard from him since. That was over a year ago. What he left behind is why I'm here. The boxes of paperwork he hoarded contained all kinds of references to Wigglesworth, Bonhke and a few other pastors' name I can't recall. He wrote letters while in prison asking for information on these people and was turned down at every request. From what I've been able to find, these two were part of an Evangelistic movement in the early 20th century. But I've found links to reports of abuses of power and possible other crimes associated with at least Wigglesworth and Bonhke. My uncle ignored the court's suggestion that he seek psychiatric help when he was released from prison. In his papers we found his medical records and he was indeed troubled. When he was living with my grandmother, he told my mother that Wigglesworth, Bonhke and the other pastors were second apostles and it was his (my uncle's) job to find the next generation of apostles. This makes me REALLY suspicious of anything written by these people, but curious as to whether my uncle's obsession with them was because of his untreated mental illness or are they actually cult leaders who did bad things but hid their deeds with words about the Lord? If I had to go with my gut, I would avoid anything to do with them, but I'm still curious to find out more about them and what they did - whether it was a lot of good or a lot of damage.

Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thank you!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Even though this is your first post, what you for advice would be hard to find in a forum where every post must be approved - Seekers Lounge.  I moved your question here so others can reply.

God Bless.

Welcome~!

~

Anything you can tell me would be helpful....

:thumbsup:

Trust

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

In The LORD

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

You may be referring to the Reverend Michael Wigglesworth? Possibly the wigglesworth diaries? Not sure but sounds like this is possible. You are in my prayers. Some things are better to let go. God bless.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Smith Wigglesworth was one of the early leaders of the Pentecostal movement. I have never heard anything negative about him. Bonked is not familiar to me tho the name is..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Smith Wigglesworth was called the "apostle of faith" by some people. He seems to have been a simple man who believed God's word, and many were saved through his ministry as an evangelist. I don't recall hearing anything bad about him but it has been many years since I have heard the name. Your uncle seems to be delusional if he is seeking some new apostle. We don't believe that there are true apostles today.

Unfortunately, there are cults that promote some pretty sickening things, and there are abusive people who use the Bible like a weapon to justify themselves. I have known of a couple as well.

I have no idea who the other guy is that you mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Discernment is truly one of God's choicest gifts.  I would recommend finding someone that has it and trust their gift.