• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Two one liners:

From Faith-Driven Consumer,“The portrayal of God as a willful, angry and petulant child in EXODUS will be a deal breaker for most people of faith around the world,”

And from Religious News Service, Jonathan Merritt: "...but they’ll go see the film anyway.
Religious people are as enamored by celebrity culture as any other group, and the big-name cast will draw many."

If gambling were not a sin, where would you place your bets?

Another review at CT: http://www.christiantoday.com/article/exodus.gods.and.kings.review.biblically.irreverent.but.powerful.cinema/43927.htm

Guest shiloh357

Two one liners:

From Faith-Driven Consumer,“The portrayal of God as a willful, angry and petulant child in EXODUS will be a deal breaker for most people of faith around the world,”

And from Religious News Service, Jonathan Merritt: "...but they’ll go see the film anyway.

Religious people are as enamored by celebrity culture as any other group, and the big-name cast will draw many."

Another review at CT: http://www.christiantoday.com/article/exodus.gods.and.kings.review.biblically.irreverent.but.powerful.cinema/43927.htm

More will go see the movie than not. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Two one liners:

I disagree with what is written in red.  I don't believe "religious people" are as enamored with celebrity culture as Mr. Merritt seems to believe.  But, I do believe we/they are enamored with our story being told on the big screen.  I can't expect Ridley Scott to produce anything that would be considered an olive branch or outreach of peace and understanding with Christians.  He is a businessman and he makes a lot of money telling stories from his perspective.  But, I don't have to read, watch, or listen to his stories either. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Two one liners:

I've just posted another RNS story that claims this childish portrayal of God is just one of three hurdles "Exodus" has to overcome at:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,709
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I will watch the movie. I dont know if I will see it in theatres or not, I will likely wait for it to come out on video, but I like to keep an open mind. I even watched noah once. Which, from an entertainment viewpoint it was good-excellent acting, lots of action, well developed characters and storyline, but from a Biblical standpoint? I wouldn't even call it about a Bible story, thats how far off it was. More of a sci-fi movie with a couple correlations to the Bible.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  493
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

I will watch the movie. I dont know if I will see it in theatres or not, I will likely wait for it to come out on video, but I like to keep an open mind. I even watched noah once. Which, from an entertainment viewpoint it was good-excellent acting, lots of action, well developed characters and storyline, but from a Biblical standpoint? I wouldn't even call it about a Bible story, thats how far off it was. More of a sci-fi movie with a couple correlations to the Bible.

I got disgusted with Noah that I didn't even finish the movie, and that's saying a lot, since I watch a lot of movies and read a lot of novels. Science fiction and fantasy especially.

My attitude in watching such movies as Noah and Exodus is to have no expectation at all whether they'll be true to Christianity or not. I simply lump them all under the category "Worldly." And guess what? I'm never disappointed.

hey, they got the NAME right! 

yep, i'll watch exodus, too... from the comfort of my own home as it streams from amazon or vudu or netflix or whoever has it for cheapest. i think justin got it right, at least for me. i'm not so enamored of the cast in this one. don't care a hoot about christian bale.

but then again, russell crowe was the best thing about noah.

as wrong as they get it, if i'm going to pay for entertainment, i'd rather see entertainment that doesn't start with sex in the opening scene. and the only time i'm guaranteed of that is if i watch a movie that has something biblical in the title or something with a G rating.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

My husband and I watched The Red Tent last night.  A great movie if you want to view one of the most distorted depictions of a Biblical narrative

If Jacob et al were still alive on planet earth, they would sue for defamation of character

one example:  they portrayed Rebekah as still alive after Jacob meets Esau but as a fortune teller.  And a cruel one at that

I guess 'they got the name right' would be appropriate here too

they pretty much murdered Joseph as well and the rest was a fantasy that may very well leave those who either do not know their Bible very well

or, if an introduction to the Bible, with the opinion that God was playing cards while the story unfolded and the people in the story thought of God as 

a bit of a jokester

What is with all the Hollywood does the Bible stories lately?  Other then distortion, deception and utter drivel

Dinah, pronounced Deenah in the movie, was the main character....and here, we had either total fiction or worse, lies

You can tell I have no opinions at all

oh i so wanted to see that movie! but i don't have cable. i gotta see if that's one of the lifetime movies they'll air online...

i wonder... when movies are made from the perspective of a Bible character who had virtually no perspective told in scripture, would it have been as twisted as hollywood's version?

anyway, i'm used to reading biblical fiction, and it's always very fictionalized. that's why i enjoy reading and watching stuff like this... because i know it's fiction. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I think it is Lifetime actually...my husband mumbled something about 'well that's lifetime for you' several times LOL! so prob is

fiction is as fiction does...but Rebekah as a whip welding mean old fortune teller who said that Joeseph had her 'gift' too?   shudder

oh by the way, Dinah or Deenah here, was a 'gifted' midwife...seriously gifted in fact...she even midwifed herself in one scene