• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In the Gospel of Matthew,Jesus says:

"Anyone who is not with Me is against Me, and anyone who does not gather with Me scatters. 31 Because of this, I tell you, people will be forgiven every sin and blasphemy, but the blasphemy against9  the Spirit will not be forgiven.10   32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the one to come."

what is meant by "in this age or in the one to come" ?

Does this mean that people who actively reject Christianity and even encourage others to do so,lose the possibility of being saved forever?

Does "The age to come" mean our present age?

Guest shiloh357

"Anyone who is not with Me is against Me, and anyone who does not gather with Me scatters. 31 Because of this, I tell you, people will be forgiven every sin and blasphemy, but the blasphemy against9  the Spirit will not be forgiven.10   32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the one to come."

Does this mean that people who actively reject Christianity and even encourage others to do so,lose the possibility of being saved forever?

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit needs to be understood in the context in which it occurred.  First of all, it occurred when religious leaders were accusing Jesus of having cast out demons by the power of the prince of demons.  It was an act of defamation or slander against God.  

Notice however, that it the only places it is ever mentioned in the New Testament outside of the ministry of Jesus.  It is a specific sin, aimed at a specific event in his ministry.  You don't find it addressed in any of the epistles or in the book of Acts.   Why?    Because a Christian cannot commit this sin.

The Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is rooted in unbelief.  So how can a person who is has accepted Jesus commit a sin that is predicated on rejecting Jesus?  It makes no sense to say that a believer in Jesus commits a sin rooted in rejecting Jesus.    The only people in Scripture who committed this sin are unbelievers. 

Blasphemy is not done on accident.  Blasphemy, by nature is intentional.  Blasphemy is slander/libel.   It is done in full knowledge of the truth.  It is an intentional act of defamation of character.  So a person who blasphemes God knows what he is doing when he does it.

So what makes this sin unforgivable in this life and in the world to come is not that it is such a heinous sin that not even the blood of Jesus can cover it; rather the person who commits this sin is so irretrievably wicked that they would never repent of it.   I like what the New Treasury of Scripture knowledge says and how this is explained:

"The sin against the Holy Spirit  is unpardonable because of its own nature:  It consists in the rejection of way of salvation by Christ, in opposition to the fullest evidence and the only evidence that shall be given (Heb. 2: 3)

The sin against the Holy Spirit consists in continual impenitence and unbelief.  It is not an act, but habit.  It is the calm, determined, and persevering rejection of Jesus Christ as the Savior of man, in opposition t all the testimony of His word and Spirit.  Consequently, its nature is incapable of forgiveness.  No one who is afraid of having committed this sin has done so; for its very nature is to have no fear on that account.  It is committed and continued in delightedly and knowingly, where it is committed at all.  Fear is not compatible with its nature"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

This age and the age to come are expressions used by the Hebrew people during the time of Jesus and after. This age means 'now', and the age to come would mean when the Messiah comes to rule from Jerusalem. The age to come in Christianity would be called the Millenium or the millenial reign.

During the Millenium, there will be people who do not believe in Jesus.  

In my view, scripture speaks of only one unforgivable sin. Jesus died for all of our sins, but one. The one and only sin I believe will prevent a person from being saved is unbelief in Jesus. It is the Holy Spirits job to reveal Who Jesus is, so to say Jesus is not the Messiah, Savior when the Holy Spirit is revealing that truth, is essentially saying, the Holy Spirit is lying. Or to say there are more ways to God then thru Jesus alone, when the Holy Spirit is revealing to a person that Jesus is the only way, would be saying the Holy Spirit is lying.

There are some people who engage in very blasphemous conversations and speeches,prior to being saved.

I was wondering if any of that blasphemous talk can have an eternal effect...

Guest shiloh357

There are some people who engage in very blasphemous conversations and speeches,prior to being saved.

I was wondering if any of that blasphemous talk can have an eternal effect...

It depends on what you mean by blasphemous.   If there are people engaging in genuine blasphemy and enjoying it, they will never repent and will enter eternity separated from God.

But sometimes we label things as "blasphemous" that are not genuine blasphemy. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Blasephemy of the Holy Spirit...The Unforgivable sin is very specific...

It is saying that the work of the Holy Spirit is the work of the devil

Mark 3

20 Then the multitude came together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread. 21 But when His own people heard about this, they went out to lay hold of Him, for they said, “He is out of His mind.”

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.”

23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.

The Unpardonable Sin

28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation” 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Redemption is available to all, no matter how evil, until their last breath.   Paul killed  Christians before He came to Jesus, and we know what He became

Edited by Riverwalker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Important question. Good answers.

Blasephemy of the Holy Spirit...The Unforgivable sin is very specific...

It is saying that the work of the Holy Spirit is the work of the devil

Mark 3

20 Then the multitude came together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread. 21 But when His own people heard about this, they went out to lay hold of Him, for they said, “He is out of His mind.”

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.”

23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.

The Unpardonable Sin

28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Redemption is available to all, no matter how evil, until their last breath.   Paul killed  Christians before He came to Jesus, and we know what He became

Yes,it seems to me that "blasphemy against the holy spirit" is a phrase that is only used to refer to the false accusations of the Jews at the time of the ministry of Jesus.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/12/1943

The "unpardonable sin" is the ultimate and final rejection of Jesus Christ as

Savior.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

According to the Holy Word.....causing children that believe in Jesus to sin is unforgivable, betrayal to JESUS is unforgivable, and alliance to the enemy would be unforgivable.

1 John 5:16-17 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

Matthew 18:6-7 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!

Matthew 26:24 The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”

Revelation 14:9-11 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

I don't know why a Christian would cause a child to sin, betray Jesus, or worship anybody other than Jesus. But if they did I believe it is unforgivable.

Edited by almightyist