IGNORED

US Government Banning Donut Sprinkles

Guest shiloh357

I have a question.  They want to ban trans fats right?  Why are cigarettes still legal?  If the government is playing nanny to everyone, by forcing food manufacturers to ban things that are unhealthy, why in the world would they keep cigarettes legal when they have no nutritional value, and contribute to lung cancer?  It is not like I don't already know the answer, but I am making a point.  If they could find a way to place a tax on trans fats, they would probably keep them legal. 

Guest shiloh357

I have a question.  They want to ban trans fats right?  Why are cigarettes still legal?  If the government is playing nanny to everyone, by forcing food manufacturers to ban things that are unhealthy, why in the world would they keep cigarettes legal when they have no nutritional value, and contribute to lung cancer?  It is not like I don't already know the answer, but I am making a point.  If they could find a way to place a tax on trans fats, they would probably keep them legal. 

I am surprised they haven't tried to tax trans fat. You raise a good point about that. 

But you know, there are so many other things they could ban, but they are at this point, picking on things that none of really care about if they get banned or not.  We will still continue to enjoy our favorite foods with or without trans fat.  The problem is that if we let them ban trans fat, we have allowed a precedent to exist that gives them a reason to ban something else, until pretty soon these bans will eventually touch on something we DO care about.

It's all about desensitization.  Ban little things at first, nothing too disruptive, but condition us to hear about these bans and do them in the context of shielding us, protecting us and one day years down the road, there will eventually be a generation that will grow up never having known the freedoms we have now.  They will be easy to control because they will born under tyranny and it's all they've ever known.

Same with the commercial drones I mentioned in a different thread.  We are being conditioned to accept tyranny, slowly but surely.

Guest Butero

I agree Shiloh.  That is exactly what they are doing.  If the food tastes the same, people aren't going to say anything, but what is next?  They are power hungry, and always looking to pass new laws.  I think part of the problem is they are paid too much and have too many days in session.  We need to seriously consider making Congress a part time job and cut their salaries accordingly. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

It is a part time job. They have turned it into a full time job with all the campaigning and fact finding (aka looking like they do something) they do. 

Guest shiloh357

I agree Shiloh.  That is exactly what they are doing.  If the food tastes the same, people aren't going to say anything, but what is next?  They are power hungry, and always looking to pass new laws.  I think part of the problem is they are paid too much and have too many days in session.  We need to seriously consider making Congress a part time job and cut their salaries accordingly. 

That is why I support term limits for congress AND there needs to be an amendment, or something that prohibits Congress from exempting itself from the laws they create. 

Guest Butero

I am kind of on the fence about term limits.  In theory, we should be the term limit in that we have the ability to primary out anyone we don't like, but I do see the reasons for it.  And yes, those in government should have to live according to every jot and tittle of every single law they impose on the rest of us, including having to live with Obamacare.  I definitely think that would make a difference. 

Guest shiloh357

I am kind of on the fence about term limits.  In theory, we should be the term limit in that we have the ability to primary out anyone we don't like, but I do see the reasons for it.  And yes, those in government should have to live according to every jot and tittle of every single law they impose on the rest of us, including having to live with Obamacare.  I definitely think that would make a difference. 

The laws would be better and taxes would be lower if they had to live under the laws they pass.   Not only that,  and I know this is just spitting in the wind, but I think spending would be more responsible if there was a way to make Congress men and women financially responsible for wasting tax payer dollars.  We would have fewer things like federal grants for researching show shrimp run on miniature treadmills.

The reason I am in favor of term limits is that we keep electing the same people over and over and nothing ever changes.  There are people in Congress who act like they have tenure, and don't have to do much except focus on re-election.   Term limits would give us fresh minds and new ideas and more accountability.  

Wouldn't it be nice to have a job where you knew you pretty much could do anything you want, not get fired for not producing anything worthwhile and spend someone else's money without having to account for how spent it and STILL get paid a full time salary for only working say 100 days or so out of the year, and give yourself pay raises every year? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2

First off, ban the FDA. Second, we are being micromanaged to death and I suspect we'll be reaching a tipping point sooner rather than later. Living in a micro-regulatory state is NOT what America is about and it's not what most Americans want. There's a lot of discontent in the heartland that is festering and growing and, from my lips to G-d's ears, a revolution is simmering.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2

Term limits is not the answer. Just look at the president, for example. He'll be out of office in a couple of years (term limit), but thanks to the hundreds maybe thousands of new regulations he's put in place, not to mention legislation, no matter who gets elected in the next cycle, we citizens will be living under Obama's shadow forever. That goes for any elected official. Just look at what Pres. Bush left us to deal with. The political class has way, way too much power in this country. An educated, empowered populace is the answer. But, alas and alack, the public school system has made that all but impossible to achieve.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Term limits is not the answer as long as we allow progressives to vote....    Do you think the people of Las Vegas are going to elect someone the opposite of Harry Reid?   Or the progressive democrats are going to vote in a leader that isn't like him or Pelosi.

Term limits are not the answer, educating the general progressive population is the only solution.   And threads like this with Titles that are misleading is not any way to approach that.