• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I was reading the bible and before the great flood. God was sorry he made us. I'm upset to know God is sorry he made me. If not true then what does that verse mean.  :(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

For discussion purposes, please provide the scripture you are referring to.

• Topic Count:  562
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Genesis 6:6 (and it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.) KJV

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  67

Genesis 6:6 (and it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.) KJV

If you have children they will grieve you in many ways, you know this before they are born because of their sinful nature. 

God knew man would sin, does it mean that God cannot grieve when it happens or happened ?

Guest shiloh357

I was reading the bible and before the great flood. God was sorry he made us. I'm upset to know God is sorry he made me. If not true then what does that verse mean.   :(

It meant that God was grieved that He had made man.  It doesn't mean that He is feeling that same grief today.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I was reading the bible and before the great flood. God was sorry he made us. I'm upset to know God is sorry he made me. If not true then what does that verse mean.   :(

I don't think we are like the people were before the flood.  Although it seems that many are working on it.

He made comments similar to that concerning the Hebrews when they had made and worshiped the golden calf....   Moses had to talk Him out of just killing them all and starting over again with Moses and his wife.

Unless you are turning your back on Him and worshiping some other God, I don't think you have to worry about him being sorry he made you.  I think I've read enough of your posts to know that isn't the case...

But it is informative that we learn that we can push him too far in our little rebellions.

Ge 6:5 The LORD saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.
Ge 6:6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.
Ge 6:7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.”

Remember, when God made mankind, he said it was "very good". By Gen 6:5, it appears as though God's very good creation had deteriorated to the point, that there was only one decent family left on the face of the earth. If my kids turned out to have hearts such that they thoughts were only evil, all the time, I would be grieved also, and I don't even have the high standards that God has, nor do my kids owe me the way mankind owes God.

One thing I find amazing here, is that even though God is grieved at this point in the narrative, and intends to destroy them, He still postponed the destruction of mankind. Certainly it took an old man and his family, a long time to build a great ship, back in the days before Home Depot, power tools, or even steel, as far as we know.  

I believe this is what the 120 years referred to in Gen 6:3 is, 120 more years that God patiently tolerated mankind, during which time mankind could have, but failed to, repent.

After the flood, mankind had a fresh start, and of course as we know, mankind began going south again. A review of the chronology will bring to mind that this is the story of mankind, falling short, falling into sin, and the chronology also reminds us of God plan of redemption, the choosing of a race and of individuals, to bring about His plan to save us from our sins.

It may have repented God to have created mankind, only to have mankind rebel against Him. However, it also pleased God, to enact a plan to spare mankind the fate we deserved, by placing the burden upon one man (Jesus), to live the life we should have, and requiring of us only faith in Him.

To top it off, He not only provided the Man Who could live the life right, but through His grace He draws people to Himself, and gives them the faith to believe, even though we still disappoint Him, He acts in love and grace and says "come".

That sadness you feel, is appropriate, but you should also feel gratitude, that He made a way of escape, and found a way to soften your heart toward Him.

In His faithful love and grace, we find mercy and reward, and resultant joy.

From The Expositor's Bible Commentary of note:

In v.6—"the LORD was grieved [wayyinnahem] that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain [wayyith `asseb]"—the author describes the Lord's response to man's wickedness by making a curious wordplay on Lamech's naming Noah: "He will comfort us [yenahamenu] in … the painful toil of our hands" (ume`isse bon 5:29). Thus in both passages Noah is introduced with wordplays associating his name, "Noah" (noah), with the "comfort" (niham) from the grief and pain (`asab) caused by man's rebellion (cf. Cassuto). By making God the subject of the verbs in v.6, the author has shown that the grief and pain of man's sin was not something that only man felt. God himself was grieved over man's sin (v.7). In returning in this way to the role of "comforter" invested in the significance of Noah's name, the author suggests that not only did Noah bring comfort to mankind in his grief, but also he brought comfort to God.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49

God was sorry that He made us, not for Himself but for the creature, sorry that they had chosen the downward path of dysfunction, suffering and a pointless existence. He was sorry to have destroyed the anti-deluvians, the Sodomites, the Canaanites, etc. Sorry for Lucifer and his hosts. "O Lucifer How art thou fallen...!"

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I can't speak for God in that way.  It does say he was grieved he made man BECAUSE every thought of their hearts is continually evil.  Sin grieves God... it's disobedience... all sin results in blood either by you or sacrifice