Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Chicken and Bacon Pot Pie. Because I love you.

I'm just copying and pasting from my document file here.  I've typed up my recipes because I kept getting asked for them.  Now I can just print them out. 

Chicken and Bacon Pot Pie

Ingredients

3 strips of thick cut bacon; cut into 1" strips.  Okay, go ahead and use 4.
2 cups of veggies of your choice, fresh or frozen.  Use up what's in your fridge.  My personal favorite is frozen corn and fresh broccoli snipped into small bits.  ***(See notes below.)
8 ounces chicken thighs; cut into 1" pieces
4 Tbsp (¼ cup) flour
½ tsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp butter
1 ¼  cups hot chicken stock.
1 sheet puff pastry; defrosted at room temperature

Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the package of puff pastry.  (Probably 400°F.)

In a plastic bag, coat the chicken thighs in flour and thyme.

Fry the bacon pieces on medium heat until they start to crisp.  Then add the vegetables and sauté them for just a couple of minutes.  (No, don't drain the bacon fat.  Are you crazy?  I'm a chef, not your doctor.)

Add the butter and then the floury chicken (with all the flour left in the bag) and cook the chicken until it's a minute or two from being completely cooked through.  (You'll be baking it to cook it that last bit, remember.)

Pour in the hot chicken stock and stir.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.  If you want the sauce thicker, slowly add more flour.  If you want more sauce (or thinner sauce) add more chicken stock.

MY SECRET:  I will always and forever have chicken stock concentrate in my cupboard.  At this point in the cooking, I add one Tbsp of it to the pan to boost the chicken flavor.  It takes this dish from being really good to so good it'll bring Jesus back early.

You can make one big pot pie or individual pies as big or small as you like.  Place your bowl (or mugs, or ramekins) upside down on the puff pastry and cut a circle about ½" bigger than the top of each bowl.

Scoop the pot pie filling in the bowl, to the top.

Dampen the edges of the puff pastry, and rim of the bowl, and place the puff pastry lid on top, sealing the edges with your fingers or a fork.  (It looks nice and rustic if you use your fingers.  Also, don't prick the top with a fork, like you would a regular crust.)

Cook the pot pie(s) according to the puff pastry instructions.  Usually around 15-20 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.

*** Notes:  The above recipe is the base.  Want to use breasts instead of thighs?  Go ahead!  (I use thighs because they're cheaper, have more chicken flavor, and aren't stringy.)  Sometimes, instead of veggies, I just get whole, white mushrooms, quartered, and have a Chicken Bacon Mushroom Pot Pie.  Add or subtract any amount of the veggies!  Add more chicken!  Do half chicken, half turkey!  Sprinkle Parmesan in the sauce for an extra kick!  There are no rules!  Oh yeah, I went there!

Want a deep, satisfying, smokey flavor?  To the thyme, add smoked paprika, ancho chili powder and some cumin.  (My personal favorite combo!)  Try a curry flavored pot pie by using cumin, coriander, turmeric (or just a curry paste) and use coconut milk instead of chicken broth!  Try Mexican seasonings (and ingredients for that matter)!  Experiment!  Have fun!  It's food, not rocket surgery!

On 1/18/2015 at 5:15 PM, Keith said:

I'm just copying and pasting from my document file here.  I've typed up my recipes because I kept getting asked for them.  Now I can just print them out. 

Chicken and Bacon Pot Pie

Ingredients

3 strips of thick cut bacon; cut into 1" strips.  Okay, go ahead and use 4.
2 cups of veggies of your choice, fresh or frozen.  Use up what's in your fridge.  My personal favorite is frozen corn and fresh broccoli snipped into small bits.  ***(See notes below.)
8 ounces chicken thighs; cut into 1" pieces
4 Tbsp (¼ cup) flour
½ tsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp butter
1 ¼  cups hot chicken stock.
1 sheet puff pastry; defrosted at room temperature

Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the package of puff pastry.  (Probably 400°F.)

In a plastic bag, coat the chicken thighs in flour and thyme.

Fry the bacon pieces on medium heat until they start to crisp.  Then add the vegetables and sauté them for just a couple of minutes.  (No, don't drain the bacon fat.  Are you crazy?  I'm a chef, not your doctor.)

Add the butter and then the floury chicken (with all the flour left in the bag) and cook the chicken until it's a minute or two from being completely cooked through.  (You'll be baking it to cook it that last bit, remember.)

Pour in the hot chicken stock and stir.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.  If you want the sauce thicker, slowly add more flour.  If you want more sauce (or thinner sauce) add more chicken stock.

MY SECRET:  I will always and forever have chicken stock concentrate in my cupboard.  At this point in the cooking, I add one Tbsp of it to the pan to boost the chicken flavor.  It takes this dish from being really good to so good it'll bring Jesus back early.

You can make one big pot pie or individual pies as big or small as you like.  Place your bowl (or mugs, or ramekins) upside down on the puff pastry and cut a circle about ½" bigger than the top of each bowl.

Scoop the pot pie filling in the bowl, to the top.

Dampen the edges of the puff pastry, and rim of the bowl, and place the puff pastry lid on top, sealing the edges with your fingers or a fork.  (It looks nice and rustic if you use your fingers.  Also, don't prick the top with a fork, like you would a regular crust.)

Cook the pot pie(s) according to the puff pastry instructions.  Usually around 15-20 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.

*** Notes:  The above recipe is the base.  Want to use breasts instead of thighs?  Go ahead!  (I use thighs because they're cheaper, have more chicken flavor, and aren't stringy.)  Sometimes, instead of veggies, I just get whole, white mushrooms, quartered, and have a Chicken Bacon Mushroom Pot Pie.  Add or subtract any amount of the veggies!  Add more chicken!  Do half chicken, half turkey!  Sprinkle Parmesan in the sauce for an extra kick!  There are no rules!  Oh yeah, I went there!

Want a deep, satisfying, smokey flavor?  To the thyme, add smoked paprika, ancho chili powder and some cumin.  (My personal favorite combo!)  Try a curry flavored pot pie by using cumin, coriander, turmeric (or just a curry paste) and use coconut milk instead of chicken broth!  Try Mexican seasonings (and ingredients for that matter)!  Experiment!  Have fun!  It's food, not rocket surgery!

This sounds amazing... and an encouragement, as I even have some of those ingredients.

Sign in to follow this