Key Lime Pie. Because Women Matter.

Key Lime Pie

1 9" graham cracker crust
2 14 oz cans of sweetened condensed milk
½ cup sour cream
¾ cup key lime juiced
1 Tbsp lime zest

- Preheat oven to 350°F.

- In a bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest.  Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.

- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of the pie.
  DO NOT BROWN! 

- Chill pie thoroughly before serving.

- Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if you like the stuff.  Yuck. 

HINT:  You can sit there and juice about 36 actual key limes to get the juice you need, or you can not freak-out with perfectionistic tendencies and use about 3 or 4 regular limes.  Key Limes are just a bit stronger in flavor, but, once you add the lime zest, regular limes bring the same joy and rapture divine.  This is the perfect, quick, last minute dessert to make for a potluck.

Now that looks like a pie ai could eat!! Thanks!!

PS. Now how did you know I might need a dessert for potluck?? ( but first I...of course MUST try it!!

I love Key Lime pie.One of my favorites but it is hard to find Key limes where I live.

Now that looks like a pie ai could eat!! Thanks!!

PS. Now how did you know I might need a dessert for potluck?? ( but first I...of course MUST try it!!

I'm not big on desserts, but a slice of this pie is never the wrong answer.  It takes 10 minutes to whip up, 10 minutes to bake.  Easy Peasy.  I've done this with oranges and lemons, too.  I've even made a key lime pie and added lemon zest, instead of lime zest!  I know!  I'm crazy!

I love Key Lime pie.One of my favorites but it is hard to find Key limes where I live.

Regular limes work just as well, especially when you add the lime zest.  If want an even stronger lime flavor, just had another tsp of lime zest.  (Not more juice, though.  That's a delicate balance in this recipe.  You want it to be able to set.)

I heard that it did not taste the same without the Key Lime.

I've had it made with key limes and with regular limes.  The taste difference is not drastic whatsoever.  Key limes just have a stronger, more acidic flavor.  Extra lime zest can help make up for that. 

Keep in mind that a lot of people have "purist" attitudes.  "Well, I would never eat/drink/do this unless it was authentic/the original recipe."  To them I say... "Okay."  (Meanwhile, at home, they're eating Hamburger Helper or ordering take out.)  :grin:

I've had it made with key limes and with regular limes.  The taste difference is not drastic whatsoever.  Key limes just have a stronger, more acidic flavor.  Extra lime zest can help make up for that. 

Keep in mind that a lot of people have "purist" attitudes.  "Well, I would never eat/drink/do this unless it was authentic/the original recipe."  To them I say... "Okay."  (Meanwhile, at home, they're eating Hamburger Helper or ordering take out.)  :grin:

I am a purist no mistake about that  :mgcheerful: .Don't put chocolate on my maple bar.

I am a purist no mistake about that  :mgcheerful: .Don't put chocolate on my maple bar

Then you'll definitely want to use key limes.  I understand being a purist because I used to be one.  When it got to the point that it stopped me from enjoying a lot of foods, I gave it up.  "If I can't find curry leaves to use in my Chicken Korma, then just forget it.  No, I don't want dried, I want fresh.  Never mind, I'll just make some soup." 

Authentic is definitely best!  But, for me, compromise made life so much sweeter and easier!

Key Lime Pie

1 9" graham cracker crust

2 14 oz cans of sweetened condensed milk

½ cup sour cream

¾ cup key lime juiced

1 Tbsp lime zest

- Preheat oven to 350°F.

- In a bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest.  Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.

- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of the pie.

DO NOT BROWN! 

- Chill pie thoroughly before serving.

- Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if you like the stuff.  Yuck. 

HINT:  You can sit there and juice about 36 actual key limes to get the juice you need, or you can not freak-out with perfectionistic tendencies and use about 3 or 4 regular limes.  Key Limes are just a bit stronger in flavor, but, once you add the lime zest, regular limes bring the same joy and rapture divine.  This is the perfect, quick, last minute dessert to make for a potluck.

This sounds delicious :)

Excuse me if this has already been asked and answered . . . 

but the title has in it . . . 

"because women matter"!

I missed somehow, what it is in the recipe, that has anything to do with women specifically, or how you would change the recipe, for someone who thought that women didn't matter. I am not that into sexist recipes, the the title got me curious!

Sign in to follow this