IGNORED

What is the difference in a conscience and the Holy Spirit?

missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

God gives everyone a  conscience even nonbelievers.But the Holy Spirit guides and directs our paths and is our counselor.... right?And only believers have the Holy Spirit in them.What is the difference in the two?

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I believe we learn early the difference between right and wrong.as a child parents say..no,no, ouch,etc and that in addition to the voice of God (the Holy Spirit) speaking to the heart and mind is the conscience. But the Holy Spirit only indwells the born again child of God directing us to do right and our love of God helps us listen to His voice.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Conscience is con + science meaning with knowledge. A conscience is a goad not a guide. We feel guilt when we go against conscience even if our conscience is wrong. I use peoples conscience to help them get and stay honest. A conscience cannot give you gifts or knowledge you don't have. The Holy Spirit is that which came out of God and dwells in you. He uses as well as programs your conscience.

Conscience is con + science meaning with knowledge. A conscience is a goad not a guide. We feel guilt when we go against conscience even if our conscience is wrong. I use peoples conscience to help them get and stay honest. A conscience cannot give you gifts or knowledge you don't have. The Holy Spirit is that which came out of God and dwells in you. He uses as well as programs your conscience.

So they both guide.Maybe that is what confuses me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I believe we learn early the difference between right and wrong.as a child parents say..no,no, ouch,etc and that in addition to the voice of God (the Holy Spirit) speaking to the heart and mind is the conscience. But the Holy Spirit only indwells the born again child of God directing us to do right and our love of God helps us listen to His voice.

Funny that this question would be asked.  Last week my friend went out for coffee after my doctors appointment and before her Physical Therapy appointment.  We decided that since the two were on the same day we would make a girls day out of it.  We went to McDonalds for a cup of coffee.  I use a lot of cream in my coffee and they gave me a lot, you know the small containers that you have to open and pour into your coffee.  It was Half and Half, not cheap.  I had several left over and I started to take them back to the counter in front.   My friend said forget just take them home.  Everything in me said no way.  I did give them back.  To me to walk  out of that place with them would have been stealing and I just couldn't do it.  So I think both things came into play, the Holy Spirit in me and the way my parents raised me.  But I do  believe that the Holy Spirit was more in  the leading then anything.  I listened to His voice and not to the voice of my friend.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

We were all made in God's image (even Atheists). We were all born with some innate knowledge of right and wrong and that's why you get many Atheists who are kind, charitable, law-abiding citizens.

However because of our corruption by sin we are all wicked by nature. The sense of right and wrong is easily corrupted by pride, lust, greed etc.

Not everybody will be corrupted in the same way but we're all corrupted, and none of us are without sin.

Your conscience is based in God because you were hard-wired that way, but your conscience gets damaged along the way. In extreme cases, some consciences are so badly damaged that Satan is now in complete control of them.

In short, none of us are perfect and we can't cure ourselves (although some try). Only God can cure us - that's why we're supposed to put faith in him and not in ourselves.

Funny that this question would be asked.  Last week my friend went out for coffee after my doctors appointment and before her Physical Therapy appointment.  We decided that since the two were on the same day we would make a girls day out of it.  We went to McDonalds for a cup of coffee.  I use a lot of cream in my coffee and they gave me a lot, you know the small containers that you have to open and pour into your coffee.  It was Half and Half, not cheap.  I had several left over and I started to take them back to the counter in front.   My friend said forget just take them home.  Everything in me said no way.  I did give them back.  To me to walk  out of that place with them would have been stealing and I just couldn't do it.  So I think both things came into play, the Holy Spirit in me and the way my parents raised me.  But I do  believe that the Holy Spirit was more in  the leading then anything.  I listened to His voice and not to the voice of my friend.

Wise lady you are.Good integrity,character,morals and values.You do not see a lot of that these days.

We were all made in God's image (even Atheists). We were all born with some innate knowledge of right and wrong and that's why you get many Atheists who are kind, charitable, law-abiding citizens.

However because of our corruption by sin we are all wicked by nature. The sense of right and wrong is easily corrupted by pride, lust, greed etc.

Not everybody will be corrupted in the same way but we're all corrupted, and none of us are without sin.

Your conscience is based in God because you were hard-wired that way, but your conscience gets damaged along the way. In extreme cases, some consciences are so badly damaged that Satan is now in complete control of them.

In short, none of us are perfect and we can't cure ourselves (although some try). Only God can cure us - that's why we're supposed to put faith in him and not in ourselves.

Yes,that is called a "seared conscience".But a conscience and the Holy Spirit are different.Everyone has a conscience but only believers have the Holy Spirit.The Holy Spirit is your counselor and guides you.But the conscience and Holy Spirit work in the same fashion.

God gives everyone a conscience even nonbelievers.

But the Holy Spirit guides and directs our paths and is our counselor.... right?

And only believers have the Holy Spirit in them.

What is the difference in the two?

:thumbsup:

Beloved As I See It, A Man's Conscience Is A Gift From God

They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them. Romans 2:15 (ESV)

Whereas

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:22 (ESV)

The Holy Spirit Is THE Gift Of God

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13 (ESV)

As I See It

~

When You Are In The Hands Of The Man From Galilee

And the multitude said,

This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee. Matthew 21:11

You Are In Good

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And I give unto them eternal life;

and they shall never perish,

neither shall any man

pluck them out

of my hand. John 10:27-28

Hands

My Father,

which gave them me, is greater than all;

and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. John 10:29

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

God gives everyone a conscience even nonbelievers.

But the Holy Spirit guides and directs our paths and is our counselor.... right?

And only believers have the Holy Spirit in them.

What is the difference in the two?

:thumbsup:

Beloved As I See It, A Man's Conscience Is A Gift From God

They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them. Romans 2:15 (ESV)

The Holy Spirit Is THE Gift Of God

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13 (ESV)

Not sure if I am understanding, conscience totally separate thing from the Holy Spirit?  Or is what we perceive to be our conscience actually the Holy Spirit calling to us, whether we are saved or not saved?