Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Biscuits

But...Keith also puts them into giant muffin tins, so I wondered if they made 12 or 24. But they sound awfully good!! Tho' the am't of four is enough for 18?? O I am not good at guessing..

But...Keith also puts them into giant muffin tins, so I wondered if they made 12 or 24. But they sound awfully good!! Tho' the am't of four is enough for 18?? O I am not good at guessing..

I only have regular sized muffin tins.I wonder if you can cut the recipe in half?

I actually don't have a regular sized muffin tin anymore.  The large muffin tin comes in handy to make individual portions of everything from pies (meat or fruit), along with chicken pot pies, egg bakes, etc.,  It makes six large ones, so I'm guessing it makes 12 regular sized biscuits.

I'm making them tomorrow, so I'll take some pictures and post them.  It's one of those recipes that fills the entire floor of my apartment complex with a wonderful aroma.  Even the grumpy woman down the hall smiles and says, "I know what you've been making again!"

If I'm being too silly in writing out these recipes, let me know.  I can just post them plainly.

As for the amount of the ingredients and types of cheese, you can certainly change the quantities and types.  I know 10 pieces of bacon sounds like a lot but it really isn't.  The batter for these is supposed to be pretty chunky.  The toothpick test isn't really necessary for that reason, but it doesn't hurt.  You can always use turkey bacon.  I no longer consider that blasphemy.  You could also try a 1/2 pound of ground sausage, drained really well.  I'm not a huge fan of sharp cheddar cheese on it's own, but when it's combined with other flavorful ingredients, the flavor of sharp cheddar helps it to stand out.  The beauty of this recipe is that you can taste the bacon, the onion and the cheese.  They don't meld together into one flavor.  Add the flavor of the biscuit itself, and it's just a guaranteed good time.

And they freeze brilliantly, so go ahead and double the recipe.  You'll thank me later.

Eat your heart out Julia Child!

I actually don't have a regular sized muffin tin anymore.  The large muffin tin comes in handy to make individual portions of everything from pies (meat or fruit), along with chicken pot pies, egg bakes, etc.,  It makes six large ones, so I'm guessing it makes 12 regular sized biscuits.

I'm making them tomorrow, so I'll take some pictures and post them.  It's one of those recipes that fills the entire floor of my apartment complex with a wonderful aroma.  Even the grumpy woman down the hall smiles and says, "I know what you've been making again!"

If I'm being too silly in writing out these recipes, let me know.  I can just post them plainly.

As for the amount of the ingredients and types of cheese, you can certainly change the quantities and types.  I know 10 pieces of bacon sounds like a lot but it really isn't.  The batter for these is supposed to be pretty chunky.  The toothpick test isn't really necessary for that reason, but it doesn't hurt.  You can always use turkey bacon.  I no longer consider that blasphemy.  You could also try a 1/2 pound of ground sausage, drained really well.  I'm not a huge fan of sharp cheddar cheese on it's own, but when it's combined with other flavorful ingredients, the flavor of sharp cheddar helps it to stand out.  The beauty of this recipe is that you can taste the bacon, the onion and the cheese.  They don't meld together into one flavor.  Add the flavor of the biscuit itself, and it's just a guaranteed good time.

And they freeze brilliantly, so go ahead and double the recipe.  You'll thank me later.

Eat your heart out Julia Child!

Do you think they can be frozen?

Do you think they can be frozen?

Absolutely.

Keith keep what you are doing with the recipes. I think they are great and will try the biscuits.

All righty.  I've been up since 5:15am, cleaned the entire apartment complex, my apartment, an elderly resident's apartment, took the trash out, and did six loads of laundry (including towels and sheets).  And it's only 10am!  Woo Hoo!  I'll be heading to the grocery store in about 45 minutes to get the goods to make these biscuits, so, stay tuned for pictures!  And bring a napkin.  Can't have all that drooling when I've just cleaned everything...

It's biscuit time!

Here's what the mix should look like when after everything is combined.  You'll be tempted to add more milk while your mixing it, but don't.  Just keep folding it over on itself until there's no dry flour.  It will have the consistency of Play-Doh.  Only you can eat this this!  Oh yeah, I can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan!

Biscuits1_zps32c9c27e.jpg

Here's what they look like out of the oven.  Again,

Biscuits2_zps2743a76d.jpg

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook, and enjoy!

Biscuits3_zps790b5e1e.jpg

Here's one more picture I took of the ingredients but, alas, I forgot to include the cheese!  (Hey, Julia Childs had someone do the camera work for her!)  But, never fear!  The cheese made it into the biscuits.  :cowboy:

Biscuit4_zpsceaa348c.jpg

BY THE WAY -  You don't have to bake these in muffin tins!  You can just plop 'em onto a greased cookie sheet, too.   But, if you make them smaller, then bake them for less time.  Remember, golden brown on top. 

Sign in to follow this