Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Biscuits

Those biscuits look like a meal in themselve.Thanks for the pics and for being so kind as to share all of this information with us.

Well, I wasn't hungry before I read this post.☺

Guest shiloh357

How about some gravy for those biscuits?

What kind would you like?  A pan gravy or a reduction sauce?  Sausage?  Beef?  Chicken?  Pork?  Fruit?  Simple brown?  Curry?  Cream?  Veggie?  Chinese?  Thai?  Indian?  Italian?  Moroccan?  British?  Czech?  I've got, and made, them all.  I've got gravy and sauce recipes up the wazoo.  They come in handy when all you've got left are the basics like rice and beans, oatmeal, pasta, etc.,  Sauces and gravies are my favorite part of most meals.

When it comes to these biscuits, I've had them with, and without, gravy.  I like them best without... and with a good cup of coffee.  Because you get all four distinguishable flavors (biscuit, bacon, onion, and cheese) from this biscuit, it's a shame to cover them up.  That's why there aren't any spices added to them.  Just salt.  You might think when you add that much bacon, you wouldn't need to add 3/4 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.  But, you do. 

Those biscuits look like a meal in themselve.Thanks for the pics and for being so kind as to share all of this information with us.

They are.  And it's a good thing.  Because they're so quick to make (except for frying the bacon and caramelizing the onions - which, when done right, takes time), I like making a double batch and freezing them individually.  Perfect grab and go food for work/school lunches or snacks.

Well, I wasn't hungry before I read this post.☺

I still have two left...  First come, first served!

Guest shiloh357

I think a bacon grease based gravy would work perfectly, kind of stay with the theme.  Maybe have bits of those caramelized onions in it, as well.   :)

I think a bacon grease based gravy would work perfectly, kind of stay with the theme.  Maybe have bits of those caramelized onions in it, as well.   :)

Put 6 slices of bacon in a pot and cook.  Remove the bacon when cooked and then add the onion and caramelize.  Add a couple pinches of salt whenever you're sauteing or caramelizing onions.  It helps them release their juices and tenderizes them.

Once the onion is caramelized, crumble the bacon and add it back to the pot.  Add 1 cup of beef broth and bring to a simmer.

While it's coming to a simmer, add 3 heaping tablespoons of flour to 2 cups of water and mix.  The easy way to do this is to use a jar with a lid (a mason jar) and shake the dickens out of it until the flour isn't lumpy.  (About one minute.) 

Once the broth begins to simmer, add the water and flour mix (a slurry) and start whisking combine everything and prevent flour lumps.  Simmer, with whisking until it thickens.  Season with black or white pepper to taste.

Gravy??? You have to be kidding. smiley-char020.gif

Do you still have a gallbladder?

cook.gif

Hey this is better than Allrecipes....what else ya got???

I made these biscuits this past weekend and they are the bomb.  I eat a lot of vegtables all the time and these biscuits was more than I expected along with them.  I will make these babies again.  I'm not sure if real bacon bits that you use in salads and such could be used or would be a good substitute for the bacon if needed.  Or if it would take away from the flavor and taste of these bad boys.  I must admit I had two of them one with each helping of vegtables and froze the rest.  Lip smacking.

Sign in to follow this