Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Chicken -n- Dumplin's

Hello.  My name is Keith and I love dumplin's.  It's been a week since my last dumplin'.  So, I had to remedy that with my own version of Chicken-n-Dumplin's.  Why my own version?  Because, along with dumplin's, I like sauces, gravy's and broths.  My version makes it more like a soup than a stew.  This recipe is for you, my worthy Dumplin's.  (Another pun!  No extra charge.)

Confession:  I've made this so many times that I never measure anything.  I'm an eye-baller.  But, I took measures (Pun intended.  Why waste a good pun?) to make note of proportions this time around.  This recipe will make 4 good-sized bowls.  Can't eat that much?  It's fantastic the next day and reheats well.

Chicken -n- Dumplin’s

2 Chicken Breasts
¾ Cup Celery; chopped
¾ Cup Carrots; chopped
6 Cups Chicken Broth
4 Cloves Garlic; diced
1 tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Dried Basil

1 ¼ Cups Bisquick
⅓ Cup Milk
1 tsp Dried Dill

⅓ Cup Water; room temperature
2 Tbsp Cornstarch

Grill the chicken breasts until they’re just done, or just under done.  Chop or shred the chicken and put in a pot with chicken broth, carrots, celery, pepper, basil and garlic.  (I like to sauté the garlic for a minute in the chicken drippings first.)  Bring to a simmer. 

In the meantime, mix the Bisquick, dill and milk and mix into a dough ball.  It should be smooth, not tacky.  Add a sprinkling of biscuit mix if it’s too wet, or a bit of milk if it’s too dry.

Let the dough rest, covered under a damp paper towel, for 10 minutes.  Then roll the dough out into a log about the circumference of a paper towel tube.  Snip off dough with kitchen scissors to about the size of a quarter, directly into the pot.  It will make a lot of dumplings… lucky you!  Give a quick stir, put a lid on the pot and simmer gently.  The dumplin's will swell and float, but they’ll shrink back down as they cook.  

After about 15-20 minutes, mix water and cornstarch in a cup and stir until mixed.  Pour into the pot, and simmer for about 10 minutes, uncovered, so the broth can thicken a bit.  You can skip this step if you like broth instead of the "creamy," slightly thicker texture.

Note:  The dumplin's can be made from scratch, but I had Bisquick on hand for something else and decided to use it.  Bisquick is basically a mix of flour, shortening, salt and baking soda anyway - all the ingredients you would use to make homemade dumplin's.

Chicken-n-Dumplins_zps9azesrkp.jpg

Oh my friend.Chicken and Dumplins are wonderful.A dish I grew up with.My mom used to make wonderful Chicken and Dumplins.I think I would leave out the dill.

Oh my friend.Chicken and Dumplins are wonderful.A dish I grew up with.My mom used to make wonderful Chicken and Dumplins.I think I would leave out the dill.

You can.  It's very subtle in the dumplin's.  Try substituting basil or onion powder.  Or, you can just leave it out altogether. 

You can.  It's very subtle in the dumplin's.  Try substituting basil or onion powder.  Or, you can just leave it out altogether. 

Basil or Thyme are my favorite spices.I hate Rosemary.

Basil or Thyme are my favorite spices.I hate Rosemary.

I like anything but rosemary, thyme, and oregano.  They taste like they smell... just like pencil shavings.  Especially oregano.  The worst aroma in the world, though, is patchouli.  It should be illegal.  It smells like an old woman, wearing a wet wool coat, with old potatoes in her pocket, walking a wet, old dog.  Just... no.

Guest shiloh357

Okay, folks...   On this edition of "Cooking with Keith"   Let's see if Keith has a good recipe for Chicken Pot Pie!   :)  A perfect winter dish!

Okay, folks...   On this edition of "Cooking with Keith"   Let's see if Keith has a good recipe for Chicken Pot Pie!   :)  A perfect winter dish!

Isn't that illegal? :happyhappy:

or it just simply justifies  :mgcop:  eating a whole load of chocolate afterwards. :calicon17:

:rofl::decision::runforhills::horse:

Edited by 1to3

On 2/24/2015 at 2:42 PM, Keith said:

Hello.  My name is Keith and I love dumplin's.  It's been a week since my last dumplin'.  So, I had to remedy that with my own version of Chicken-n-Dumplin's.  Why my own version?  Because, along with dumplin's, I like sauces, gravy's and broths.  My version makes it more like a soup than a stew.  This recipe is for you, my worthy Dumplin's.  (Another pun!  No extra charge.)

Confession:  I've made this so many times that I never measure anything.  I'm an eye-baller.  But, I took measures (Pun intended.  Why waste a good pun?) to make note of proportions this time around.  This recipe will make 4 good-sized bowls.  Can't eat that much?  It's fantastic the next day and reheats well.

Chicken -n- Dumplin’s

2 Chicken Breasts
¾ Cup Celery; chopped
¾ Cup Carrots; chopped
6 Cups Chicken Broth
4 Cloves Garlic; diced
1 tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Dried Basil

1 ¼ Cups Bisquick
⅓ Cup Milk
1 tsp Dried Dill

⅓ Cup Water; room temperature
2 Tbsp Cornstarch

Grill the chicken breasts until they’re just done, or just under done.  Chop or shred the chicken and put in a pot with chicken broth, carrots, celery, pepper, basil and garlic.  (I like to sauté the garlic for a minute in the chicken drippings first.)  Bring to a simmer. 

In the meantime, mix the Bisquick, dill and milk and mix into a dough ball.  It should be smooth, not tacky.  Add a sprinkling of biscuit mix if it’s too wet, or a bit of milk if it’s too dry.

Let the dough rest, covered under a damp paper towel, for 10 minutes.  Then roll the dough out into a log about the circumference of a paper towel tube.  Snip off dough with kitchen scissors to about the size of a quarter, directly into the pot.  It will make a lot of dumplings… lucky you!  Give a quick stir, put a lid on the pot and simmer gently.  The dumplin's will swell and float, but they’ll shrink back down as they cook.  

After about 15-20 minutes, mix water and cornstarch in a cup and stir until mixed.  Pour into the pot, and simmer for about 10 minutes, uncovered, so the broth can thicken a bit.  You can skip this step if you like broth instead of the "creamy," slightly thicker texture.

Note:  The dumplin's can be made from scratch, but I had Bisquick on hand for something else and decided to use it.  Bisquick is basically a mix of flour, shortening, salt and baking soda anyway - all the ingredients you would use to make homemade dumplin's.

Chicken-n-Dumplins_zps9azesrkp.jpg

Not only a recipe but humor with it? Thanks for sharing this Keith. 

Hey Keith. I make mine different than you do.

Boil 7 or 8 Chicken legs  Cool de-bone and  remove gristle

Frozen dumplins (any store has them) ( keep frozen til ready to use ) They are about 6 inches long I break mine in 1 or 2 inch squares add ( while stiring ) to the boiling water you just removed the legs from  ( add chicken broth and black pepper, salt)

after all added ( stirring while adding dumplins keeps them from sticking together  simmer for 45 to 50 minutes ( stir often ) now add debone chicken

I also thicken mine with flour water. add 3 -4 spoons flour to pint jar fill 3/4 full cold water shake a minute stir when adding to pot your done

Sign in to follow this