• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

1 John 3:4 

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the Law: for sin is the transgression of the Law.

I've been studying on this and wanted to share the thoughts I've been having on this subject and also to ask some questions.

The above verse is clear. Sin is not doing what i think is wrong, or what a certain church may think is wrong, or even what the world says is wrong. Sin is the transgression of the Law. 

Now I started focusing on the last word of that verse....Law. Now, believe it or not, it actually took me a while to realize it did not say sin is the transgression of the Law of Moses  . Which got me thinking and wondering about some things?

1. We are not under law but grace. So how is there still sin?

2. I didn't think there was law in the garden of Eden, so how did Adam and Eve sin?

Could the answer to my questions be as simple as Law = all commandments of God or The entirety of the Word of God In context with this verse? 

To give an example of what I mean,

John 13:34

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Jesus said the above verse and that it was a new commandment. To transgress this is to sin. But why and how is it a sin? The  only thing I can see is all commandments of God or all of the Word of God is law as regards to 1 John 3:4.

So what does everyone else think? Do I finally got a handle on this subject or have I strayed into error?Please use scripture in your answer so that I might further investigate this in the bible, Thank you. 

P.S. What got me into this subject was a perception on my part that everyone seemed to have their own definition of what sin is, and I was curious what the bible actually says. 

Firestormx

Guest shiloh357

Sin is the violation of will of God, not merely a violation of the Law of Moses.   If God wants you to pray for someone in your life and lays it on your heart to do so, and you consciously choose not to, you have sinned against God's will for you at that time.

Another point...   You can physically keep the Law of Moses, but still sin due to the fact that sin always begins inwardly in the heart before it is committed in the flesh.  Entertaining sin in your mind means you have already crossed the line where God is concerned, even it if it is not evident through your actions.  Jesus made that point in the Sermon on the Mount when He said that lusting after someone of the opposite  sex was to commit adultery with that person in one's heart.

• Group:  Diamond Member

Sin is the violation of will of God, not merely a violation of the Law of Moses.   If God wants you to pray for someone in your life and lays it on your heart to do so, and you consciously choose not to, you have sinned against God's will for you at that time.

Another point...   You can physically keep the Law of Moses, but still sin due to the fact that sin always begins inwardly in the heart before it is committed in the flesh.  Entertaining sin in your mind means you have already crossed the line where God is concerned, even it if it is not evident through your actions.  Jesus made that point in the Sermon on the Mount when He said that lusting after someone of the opposite  sex was to commit adultery with that person in one's heart.

Would you go into more detail using scripture about the violation of God's will being sin and how in context it connects to 1 John 3:4. Also,  Good point about intent, I had not thought of that. Thank you for the post.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Grace is God's unmerited favor. Our sins are forgiven, but we still have our flesh to contend with. As long as we are in the flesh we will be at war with it.

2. I didn't think there was law in the garden of Eden, so how did Adam and Eve sin?

God's word is Law. They sinned the same way we do - by doing what God told us not to do. God said not to eat of the forbidden tree, Adam and Eve did - thus, they broke God's Law.

Guest shiloh357

James 4:17 says that to not do the good we know we should do, it is sin.   So if God leads you to do something and you refuse, you have violated His will, the good that you should have done.

But it's more than simply violating God's will.  Someone has said, "Sin is a personal lack of conformity to God's nature and character."   The Bible reveals who God His, nature and operations.   It gives us enough information about what God is like, communicable attributes we can emulate. That's His will, that we would strive to be like Him in the areas where it is possible.   Jesus came to model those attributes in front us.

James 4:17 says that to not do the good we know we should do, it is sin.   So if God leads you to do something and you refuse, you have violated His will, the good that you should have done.

But it's more than simply violating God's will.  Someone has said, "Sin is a personal lack of conformity to God's nature and character."   The Bible reveals who God His, nature and operations.   It gives us enough information about what God is like, communicable attributes we can emulate. That's His will, that we would strive to be like Him in the areas where it is possible.   Jesus came to model those attributes in front us.

Thanks for the reply

Grace is God's unmerited favor. Our sins are forgiven, but we still have our flesh to contend with. As long as we are in the flesh we will be at war with it.

God's word is Law. They sinned the same way we do - by doing what God told us not to do. God said not to eat of the forbidden tree, Adam and Eve did - thus, they broke God's Law.

Thanks for the post

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

P.S. What got me into this subject was a perception on my part that everyone seemed to have their own definition of what sin is, and I was curious what the bible actually says. 

Firestormx

Shiloh said "Sin is the violation of will of God, not merely a violation of the Law of Moses."

​So then, as i agree there does not seem to be agreement in what sin actually is, does this simply mean we do not all understand the other part of what Shiloh said,  "The Bible reveals who God His, nature and operations.   It gives us enough information about what God is like, communicable attributes we can emulate. That's His will, that we would strive to be like Him in the areas where it is possible.   Jesus came to model those attributes in front us."

I have wondered why there is disagreement on what sin is, whether it is our lack of understanding the bible, or willfully choosing our own interpretation of the bible?  The bible does of course reveal God, but I struggle to understand much of it.  How do I know if I am choosing my own interpretation, and ignoring what God has revealed?

Guest shiloh357

Some people try to define sin  a vacuum of Scripture, which is why you have some denominations that feel that women wearing pants is a sin, or that that wearing makeup, or cologne, or jewelry is a sin.   Some people think it's a sin to own TV.   When you start defining sin that way, there is tendency to be judgmental toward those who don't fit that mold.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

1 John 3:4 

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the Law: for sin is the transgression of the Law.

I've been studying on this and wanted to share the thoughts I've been having on this subject and also to ask some questions.

The above verse is clear. Sin is not doing what i think is wrong, or what a certain church may think is wrong, or even what the world says is wrong. Sin is the transgression of the Law. 

Now I started focusing on the last word of that verse....Law. Now, believe it or not, it actually took me a while to realize it did not say sin is the transgression of the Law of Moses  . Which got me thinking and wondering about some things?

Could the answer to my questions be as simple as Law = all commandments of God or The entirety of the Word of God In context with this verse? 

To give an example of what I mean,

John 13:34

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Jesus said the above verse and that it was a new commandment. To transgress this is to sin. But why and how is it a sin? The  only thing I can see is all commandments of God or all of the Word of God is law as regards to 1 John 3:4.

So what does everyone else think? Do I finally got a handle on this subject or have I strayed into error?Please use scripture in your answer so that I might further investigate this in the bible, Thank you. 

Firestormx

Sin is anything that goes against God's Word or Laws.  Yes we live under grace but that does not give us the right to do whatever we wish. Just being His Child should make us want to follow His Example and live as He did.  I find that it is much easier as I have said before, that being a submitted vessel allows Jesus to be Himself through me.  We will all sin, stumble and make mistakes, but the choice of doing it on purpose is up to us.  We need to live and act as if He were coming tomorrow.

Because He Lives!  RustyAngeL