• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

Hi all, today is March 17, St Patrick's Day, for many it's a day about Irishness, making things green, drinking copious amounts of alcohol and having fun. However do we really think about who Patrick was, and what he stood for? Patrick was a missionary from somewhere in the West of Great Britain, who was brought to Ireland as a slave to tend sheep on Slemish Mountain. While  tending sheep on the mountain he had a dream about bringing the Gospel to Ireland. He returned to Britain to study, then came back to Ireland to spread the Gospel, he set up his first church in Saul County Down and spread the Gospel through out Ireland.

While I'm not against having fun I have had it on my heart for some time for Christians to refocus on St Patrick's Day, to rededicate ourselves to support mission work, not only in Ireland but through out the World. I think this is a more fitting way to commemorate the life of Patrick.

Edited by saved_ricky

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Hi all, today is March 17, St Patrick's Day, for many it's a day about Irishness, making things green, drinking copious amounts of alcohol and having fun. However do we really think about who Patrick was, and what he stood for? Patrick was a missionary from somewhere in the West of Great Britain, who was brought to Ireland as a slave to tend sheep on Slemish Mountain. While  tending sheep on the mountain he had a dream about bringing the Gospel to Ireland. He returned to Britain to study, then came back to Ireland to spread the Gospel, he set up his first church in Saul County Down and spread the Gospel through out Ireland.

While I'm not against having fun I have had it on my heart for some time for Christians to refocus on St Patrick's Day, to rededicate ourselves to support mission work, not only in Ireland but through out the World. I think this is a more fitting way to commemorate the life of Patrick.

I am always for increased support for missions, and for evangelism. 

My only concern is that I do not consider St. Patricks day a Christian holiday. First, I have an issue with the name of the day. St. Patrick. I do not know if Patrick was a true believer and therefore a saint. Plus, I believe biblically, all born again believers are saints. Second, I am not so sure we should dedicate holidays to people in Christianity. And finally, I think St. Patricks day was to celebrate Patrick as the patron saint of Ireland, which I do not believe is biblical.

At one point, I was curious about Patick so I read some of his history. I don't remember enough of what I read.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

saint_patricks_day29.gif Happy St. Patricks Day.I have a fair amount of Irish in me.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I always heard he drove the snakes out of Ireland

MI+St+Patrick+Saint+snakes+getty.jpg

National Geo states it was the ice age.........

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

Being nearly ALL Irish, I get interested in all things green.  But I heard the story of St. Patrick today for the first time.  It was on our local Christian radio station at 7:30 this morning.  Neat!    :mgcheerful: 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

Irish blood here too and we Irish do like our peace. You know the world will celebrate about anything there is under the sun with a state of drunkeness and rivalry. Thank you for redirecting the focus to Christ and the message of the cross that Patrick brought through missionary work.