the enquirer

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

i am sorry I don't know where to post this. I consider myself a Christian although only recently returned to the fold as I had backslidden. Anyway as a Christian shouldn't I understand the bible.? The Parables and Letters plus Prophesy often puzzle me.

i am sorry I don't know where to post this. I consider myself a Christian although only recently returned to the fold as I had backslidden. Anyway as a Christian shouldn't I understand the bible.? The Parables and Letters plus Prophesy often puzzle me.

:thumbsup:

Again,

Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God. Jeremiah 3:22 (KJV)

Welcome Beloved~!

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17 (KJV)

Pray For Understanding In Jesus Name Each Time You Read Your Bible

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:1-5 (ESV)

And A Good Start Is The Book Of John And By Using Sites Like The Bible Hub

You Will Pick Up Bible Helps And Cross References

http://biblehub.com/john/1-1.htm

~

Enjoy Your Quest As You Discover Jesus

Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, Psalms 40:7 (KJV)

From Genesis 1:1 Through Revelation 22:20

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

In The Big Book Of My God

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

And My LORD

Then saith he to Thomas, reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. John 20:27-28 (KJV)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (KJV)

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,103
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

2 Tim. 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Understanding the Word of God is a lifelong quest. If it was easy, there would be no need for pastors and teachers, and concordances, and this very forum.

This is only one of the tests of our faithfulness to God, but it is a foundational one, because all creation derives and continues from the Word, in all its many forms. Like a marriage, one needs to stick with it even when one does not seem to be getting anything out of it. Our faithfulness to continue is the test, which God will reward in his own time.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Ask the Holy Spirit to help you to understand what you are reading and He will help you understand...:)

I remember when I became a Christian I didn't even know how to pray---just keep reading and ask God to help you understand :)

Proverbs 2:2

Making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Yes, as a Christian you should understand the Bible.  But it is best to first of all understand the Lord Jesus Christ.  Start with the Gospel of John and work your way back to Matthew.  When you have a solid understanding of Christ, who He is and what He accomplished while on earth, you can move on to the epistles.  It would be a good idea to postpone the study of Bible prophecy until you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals. Avoid controversial subjects and stick with the basics initially.

As one who is professedly returning from a backslidden condition, focus on your devotional time, and have a separate time to study the Word.  But be disciplined and have a set time for whatever you do.  Acquire some basic study tools such as Strong's Concordance, wich will help you to understand the difficult words.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you Ezra for your advice. I am currently reading John but don't really know how to Study. I also have difficulty having set times as I am on strong medication and find myself falling asleep in the morning and evening. But you are right I need to discipline myself and

find some time of the day to do both.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Get a good Bible Study from a Pastor that you trust.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Everyone develops their own way to study the Bible. But I look at it as God's Word written to me to reveal His character and personality to me. So praying first does help, and asking the meaning of a passage helps as well. But usually I don't get hung up if I don't understand everything. It is better to find the passages that are meaningful and underline or highlight them. So try to act on what you do understand, or ask God to help you to apply it to your life. He will help you to understand more when you need to, and after you have acted on what you do know.

But most of us would be glad to explain any passages that you are having difficulty with. Often it will mean different things to different people and we learn from each other, especially in how the Word applies to us.

It may help to read the passage from another translation which may seem clearer.

It may help to ask who, what, where, why when and how type of questions. Who is it written to or about. What are they discussing. Where and when did it take place. Why was it being written. How does it apply to me.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Praying first is always a good idea... but remember the WORD is the Living Word... which means you will always find God speaking to you through it despite how many times we  have read it... so you will always be learning something different.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Thank you Ezra for your advice. I am currently reading John but don't really know how to Study.

Keep it simple.  Study by topic or subject. Get a Nave's Topical Bible (KJV).  Study Jesus, The Christ. Nave breaks down the study of Christ into at least 30 sub-topics, but everything is directly out of the Bible (not a commentary).

For example, he shows all the passages pertaining to the "compassion" of Christ in one grouping. And he goes through everything alphabetically.  You will learn a lot just with this one Bible study tool.  And the Holy Spirit will teach you as you look at the words of God.