xyluz

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

• When the apostles talked about the word of God, what were they refering to?
  • Obviously it was not the old testament. and there was no new testament then.
  • i believe it was not the old testament becasue no ordinary person had access to it
  • they usually say things like: and the word of God grew
  • "we will give ourselves to the study of the word and prayer"
  • And i believe they were not referring to Jesus Christ as the word, because of the context of usage.
I will appreciate your opinions, i have had this in my mind for a while.

Thank you all.

Guest shiloh357

Actually, you are wrong.   The "Word of God"  IS the Bible, the apostsle  referred to the Old Testament as the Word of God.  The Bible in the Old Testament calls itself the Word of God in numerous places.

Jesus is the living Word of God, as well.  He is personification of the message of the prophets.  He is the substance of all of the OT Scriptures.   The New Testament refers to the Gospel as the Word of God as well.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2  He was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3  All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.
Joh 1:4  In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5  And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it.

Joh 1:9  He was the true Light; He enlightens every man coming into the world.
Joh 1:10  He was in the world, and the world came into being through Him, and the world did not know Him.
Joh 1:11  He came to His own, and His own received Him not.
Joh 1:12  But as many as received Him, He gave to them authority to become the children of God, to those who believe on His name,
Joh 1:13  who were born, not of bloods, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but were born of God.
Joh 1:14  And the Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and of truth.

Guest Teditis

Amen Hippie... the Word of God was that God is with us, (Emmanuel). 

Christ preached that the Kingdom of God was/is at hand.

(Nice thread Seyi).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I agree with Shiloh. The word of God was the Old Testament,(Rom 3:2) but also whatever the Apostles taught by word of mouth were no doubt the same information we have in the New Testament. Things like Church government, Salvation by grace through faith, how we should conduct ourselves in society,etc.

The letters of the Apostles are clearly considered scripture. Our Lord assumed that scriptures were widely known to his hearers as he routinely asked them, "What does the scriptures say", or "You know the Law and the Prophets". 

When the men of God spoke, they spoke thus sayeth the Lord. So scripture says that when their words were received, that it was the very words of God. Keep in mind, that all the Apostles got their teaching and Doctrine directly from the Lord, Including Paul. That is why they are the Foundation layers of the Church with Christ being the foundation itself. 

1Th 2:13  And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Regardless of whether the common man had access to the OT or not the OT was the written Word of God. In the middle/dark ages the common man did not have access to the Bible-but that doesn't make the Bible not the Bible. The Word of God remains the word of God regardless of who has access to it and who doesn't.

The word of God is everything God says, and since all scripture is God breathed and useful for doctrine and rebuking, (2 Tim 3:15 I believe) then all scripture is the Word of God, both OT and NT.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Hope this helps.

• When the apostles talked about the word of God, what were they referring to?
    • What they were referring to was the Talmud and Tanach.
  • Obviously it was not the old testament. and there was no new testament then.
    • I disagree. They had no other Word of God to refer to. Even Jesus quoted the OT.
  • i believe it was not the old testament because no ordinary person had access to it
    • People were brought up studying the OT, unlike today where families ignore scripture. The father would teach his family.
  • they usually say things like: and the word of God grew
    • Where do you find this? Jesus pointed back to the OT many times, explaining what they truly meant.
  • "we will give ourselves to the study of the word and prayer"
    • Not sure how this is a question. We do read in 2 Timothy 2:15 "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.", showing that we need to study His words to rightly divide the word of truth, and scripture always give examples as why we pray.
  • And i believe they were not referring to Jesus Christ as the word, because of the context of usage.
    • You are forgetting John 1:1-5 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

Actually, you are wrong.   The "Word of God"  IS the Bible, the apostsle  referred to the Old Testament as the Word of God.  The Bible in the Old Testament calls itself the Word of God in numerous places.

Jesus is the living Word of God, as well.  He is personification of the message of the prophets.  He is the substance of all of the OT Scriptures.   The New Testament refers to the Gospel as the Word of God as well.

I might be wrong, but as i know... there was no 'Bible' until later when the old testament was trimmed down and the letters and gospels (new testament) were added.

Not sure you understand the question fully, but i really appreciate your opinion. 

Thanks.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:2  He was in the beginning with God.

Joh 1:3  All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.

Joh 1:4  In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

Joh 1:5  And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it.

Joh 1:9  He was the true Light; He enlightens every man coming into the world.

Joh 1:10  He was in the world, and the world came into being through Him, and the world did not know Him.

Joh 1:11  He came to His own, and His own received Him not.

Joh 1:12  But as many as received Him, He gave to them authority to become the children of God, to those who believe on His name,

Joh 1:13  who were born, not of bloods, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but were born of God.

Joh 1:14  And the Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and of truth.

Thanks Hippie... but the word of God does not always refer to Jesus... there's the revealed word (your reference - John 1:1-14), the written word (2 Tim. 2:15, 2Cor. 3:6) and the spoken word (John 6:63), Jesus is the revealed word... The Bible is the written word. 

I really appreciate your opinion, i hope you understand my question better now.

I agree with Shiloh. The word of God was the Old Testament,(Rom 3:2) but also whatever the Apostles taught by word of mouth were no doubt the same information we have in the New Testament. Things like Church government, Salvation by grace through faith, how we should conduct ourselves in society,etc.

The letters of the Apostles are clearly considered scripture. Our Lord assumed that scriptures were widely known to his hearers as he routinely asked them, "What does the scriptures say", or "You know the Law and the Prophets". 

When the men of God spoke, they spoke thus sayeth the Lord. So scripture says that when their words were received, that it was the very words of God. Keep in mind, that all the Apostles got their teaching and Doctrine directly from the Lord, Including Paul. That is why they are the Foundation layers of the Church with Christ being the foundation itself. 

1Th 2:13  And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe. 

Yes, the letters of the apostles were considered scripture... but they were not compiled in that dispensation. 

Yes, Jesus asked routinely... but he asked the leaders, who have access to the "old testament"... not the ordinary man. Everyone then went to the temple to hear the word read to them.. not everyone has the privilege to read from the scroll directly.

I don't think i agree that all apostles got their teaching and doctrine directly from the Lord, yes... they all got called by the Lord himself... including Paul... but the teaching and doctrine, no i don't agree with that.

Thank you so much for your opinion.