OldSchool2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I see no relationship between fundamentalists and the emergent church. By definition they are complete opposites. There is a branch of the emergent church that teaches replacement theology, which has never been advocated by fundamentalists.

I see no relationship between fundamentalists and the emergent church. By definition they are complete opposites. There is a branch of the emergent church that teaches replacement theology, which has never been advocated by fundamentalists.

:thumbsup:

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Fundamentalism is built on five tenets of the Christian faith, although there is much more to the movement than adherence to these tenets:

1) The Bible is literally true. Associated with this tenet is the belief that the Bible is inerrant, that is, without error and free from all contradictions.

2) The virgin birth and deity of Christ. Fundamentalists believe that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary and conceived by the Holy Spirit and that He was and is the Son of God, fully human and fully divine.

3) The substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross. Fundamentalism teaches that salvation is obtained only through God’s grace and human faith in Christ’s crucifixion for the sins of mankind.

4) The bodily resurrection of Jesus. On the third day after His crucifixion, Jesus rose from the grave and now sits at the right hand of God the Father.

5) The authenticity of Jesus’ miracles as recorded in Scripture and the literal, pre-millennial second coming of Christ to earth.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/fundamentalism.html#ixzz3XXEpheK0

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

I see no relationship between fundamentalists and the emergent church. By definition they are complete opposites.

In theory.  You failed to note the decline in true fundamentalism which I brought to your attention.  Those who are now in the Emergent Church had fundamentalist roots.

Take Rob Bell as an example:

After graduating from high school, Bell attended Wheaton College in Illinois...Bell moved to Pasadena, California to pursue this calling for teaching and received a M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary.

Was Fuller Fundamentalist at one time?  And did it not become Neo-Evangelical? And is Rob Bell not one of the Emergents?  And is he not a Universalist?

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Ezra,,,,

May I ask why you think "It is a shame" that I think I was unaware of these beliefs before Old School brought this to my attention??Actually I believe I studied this in school a long long long long time ago,,,,,,,,many things that I have once learned are since forgotten,,,,,,,,,,but a "shame",I don't think so?

To God be the Glory in ALL things!!! many Blessings                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Blessings Old School

I don't get this at all.......I don't get the point or the case......

"God says, 'I don’t care what you believe, how you worship, etc. Just be good.'

What,where is that Written????God most certainly cares what we believe in...

I don't know where it's written, but it's not written in the King James or any other Bible because the author of this article -- from The American Spectator -- is trying to explain that liberal Christianity is reductionist (and therefore unbiblical).

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

... Wow where do I start.  Where does it say anywhere in the Bible where God says I don't care what you believe, just be good?...

It doesn't.

See above.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I see no relationship between fundamentalists and the emergent church. By definition they are complete opposites.

In theory.  You failed to note the decline in true fundamentalism which I brought to your attention.  Those who are now in the Emergent Church had fundamentalist roots.

After graduating from high school, Bell attended Wheaton College in Illinois...Bell moved to Pasadena, California to pursue this calling for teaching and received a M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary.

Was Fuller Fundamentalist at one time?  And did it not become Neo-Evangelical? And is Rob Bell not one of the Emergents?  And is he not a Universalist?

What defines a belief system, as in Fundamentalist or Emergent, are not the people who call themselves such, but the theology it is built upon.   Fundamentalism is not changing, those who call themselves fundamentalist are.   Just because Rob Bell turned from one theology to another, he did not change the theology behind what he left, or what he joined.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings One Light....

So very true,,,,as in any belief system ,......very well said,,,,,And sadly,instead of seeking God ,many of these people seem to move from one to the other until they find whatever suits their lifestyle and yes indeed,they do change.........

Getting back to the OP,I would have liked the Author,Mr Carlin ,to have elaborated more & put more emphasis on the biggest "reduction" of all,,,,,,,,Jesus finished work on the Cross......

Praise & Glory to our Living Redeemer,Our Lord & Savior Christ Jesus!                                         With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

After graduating from high school, Bell attended Wheaton College in Illinois...Bell moved to Pasadena,

California to pursue this calling for teaching and received a M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary.

Tragicly, too many people have gone to seminaries searching for God and are not saved. He apparently parroted the right things at one time but unbelief crept into his theology, possibly due to Fuller's deviation from believing in the verbal plenery inspiration of the Bible. I personally doubt if he was ever saved, but it is possible that pride overcame him and caused his fall and unbelief. Most fundamentalists that I have known have preferred Dallas to Fuller, which was established with the idea of compromise. Veritas has a much better reputation than Fuller.

It is tragic the Bell has led so many toward the hell he denies. But the emergent church has as many faces as their are devient pastors. The Episcopal church has produced its share of heritics as well. Remember James Pike? I don't think you can blame fundamentalism for the whole of the emergent church. But you can bet that satan will try to pervert the truth on the fronts that are most dangerous to his cause.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

If we were to truly reduce religion down to it's core it's really about avoiding non-existence. The hope of a pleasant afterlife. Is that not what this is all about?