• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

nope.

If there was no afterlife, or there was but it was unpleasant, would anything in the Bible really matter? Most witnessing techniques seem to focus on the afterlife. Sounds like it's pretty important.

Edited by Bonky

Guest shiloh357

You said it was about "avoiding nonexistence."    That's not it at all. From a Christian perspective  It's about a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.   You are going to exist forever.   There is no nonexistence.   When you die and step into eternity, you take nothing with you except the decision you made for or against Jesus and you will be judged on that basis.  There will no argument, no debate, no chance for anyone to make their case.

But heaven isn't the goal for us.   It is the byproduct of the goal.  The goal is to know God and to be in right relationship with Him.

If we were to truly reduce religion down to it's core....

it's really about avoiding non-existence....

The hope of a pleasant afterlife....

Is that not what this is all about....

~!

If We Are To Truly Reduce Life Down To It's Common Core

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

It's Really All About The LORD Jesus

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

And His Pleasure

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

~

nope.....

If there was no afterlife...

or there was but it was unpleasant....

would anything in the Bible really matter....

Most witnessing techniques seem to focus on the afterlife....

Sounds like it's pretty important....

~!

Jesus

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Matters

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

~

You said it was about "avoiding nonexistence." That's not it at all. From a Christian perspective.... 

It's about a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. You are going to exist forever....

There is no nonexistence.   When you die and step into eternity....

you take nothing with you....

except the decision you made for or against Jesus and you will be judged on that basis....

There will no argument, no debate, no chance for anyone to make their case....

But heaven isn't the goal for us.   It is the byproduct of the goal....

The goal is to know God....

and to be in right relationship with Him....

:thumbsup:

The Heart

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. Job 13:18

Of The Beloved

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalms 42:1

And The Master's Voice

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:28-29

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/31/1985

You guys are funny! (c=

Why are you calling that system of beliefs "Liberal Christianity" when it isn't Christianity but heresy? Don't we come to Christ on His terms and not our own? Have we gotten so far away from the truth that we now accept sticking extra labels on top of Christ as though He alone isn't good enough?

I don't know about you, but I won't stand for letting that word "Liberal" come near the name of my God!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

nope.

If there was no afterlife, or there was but it was unpleasant, would anything in the Bible really matter?....

The Good Shepherd said that "I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance...." (John 10:10).

That life starts in the here and now and continues after death.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Blessings Ezra,,,,

May I ask why you think "It is a shame" that I think I was unaware of these beliefs before Old School brought this to my attention??

Blessings kwikphilly,

The reason it's a shame is that those who are supposed to be shepherds of their flocks are generally failing to warn their sheep about the wolves, and what you said proved that point. 

That is why so many today are being blown about by every wind of doctrine, and the Emergents are actually able to convince others that they have something to offer.  These men are wolves in sheep's clothing, just as all those who brought theological liberalism into the churches earlier on. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Dear Brother.....

King James Bible
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.                                                              Romans 10:17

So many are blown about by every wind of doctrine because they do not study the Word of God,it is up to every believer to seek God & a personal relationship with Him,,,,,,,,,this is not any "pastor" or"teacher" or "preacher"s responsibilty,,,,,,,,,,

1 Corinthians 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Matthew 24:24 For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect – if that were possible.

Everything the believer needs to know is found in the Word of God,,,,,,,,,God Himself can be found in the Living Word & by the Power of His Holy Spirit,,,,they will not be deceived

Nothing I have said has proved "your point",,,,,,,,,,I mean no disrespect,but there is no "shame" in my .being unfamiliar with ANY false doctrine,,,,,,,,,

King James Bible
Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.                                                                   Hebrews 13:9

Guest shiloh357

I think a lot of pastors are teaching the truth.    But no one joins a church based on doctrine.  Churches that preach against the contemporary emergent movement and false worship are usually VERY small in number.  The mega churches are huge because they stay away from doctrine and their pastors go out of their way not to be controversial.  They preach only on practical issues like family and finances and relationships, etc.  

The churches that teach against false doctrine are not the churches that most people want to attend.   People choose churches that are "fun" and have lots of activities and doctrine is the last thing anyone worries about.

As Kwik has said, it is not the pastor's job to feed the flock.  His job is to equip the saints and prepare them for ministry.   If you are not a baby or invalid, feed yourself.  The pastor isn't called to do your Bible study for you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

from The American Spectator:

"Liberal Christianity is made up of three reductions:

1. The reduction of religion to morality.

2. The reduction of morality to love of neighbor.

3. The reduction of love of neighbor to tolerance plus welfare programs.

"The classic expression of the first reduction is found in Matthew Arnold’s definition of religion as 'morality touched by emotion.' Liturgy doesn’t much matter. Nor does dogma. And it certainly doesn’t matter whether your form of church government is congregational, presbyterian, episcopal, papal-episcopal, or even no-church-at-all.

"God says, 'I don’t care what you believe, how you worship, etc. Just be good.'

"The reduction of morality to love of neighbor allows liberal Christians to escape from the Augustinian puritanism that has been the mark of orthodox Catholicism and classical Protestantism. As long as you love your neighbor, you are being good."

http://spectator.org/articles/62385/reducing-religion-down

But Jesus said: "Why do you call me good?... No one is good--except God alone" (Luke 18:9).

Perhaps someone should write a version of this for what they reckon the author believes. Since the author obviously believes judgmentalism is far more important than anything else perhaps they could say the author would much rather stone the woman caught in adultery rather than this liberal view of letting her live while rebuking her.

In short the author and others in this thread should not talk about what they do not know. Liberals do tend to be pro-welfare because guess what! The bible is pro-welfare. I see many fundamentalists whose lives do not in any way shape or form reflect their beliefs. On judgement day they are going to be called goats. Often people who call themselves fundamentalists love to quote one verse about how you should work or don't sdeserve to eat and then think that cancels out every other verse that speaks about helping those in need. Why can we not actually read what the bible says and go with that rather than going to extremes? 

I don't tend to go in for labels but I am far closer to the democrats than republicans. Why? Because I simply can't find justification in the bible for forcing my beliefs on others. So while I agree with the bible that homosexuality is sinful I do not oppose gay marriage being legalised. Economically I can not justify supporting corporations treating employees like dirt and disposable assets and justifying it by claiming a trickle down economics theory which has been proven not to work. I will not condemn someone for making a difficult decision. I will encourage people to look at alternatives but I will not condemn them for making a choice I disagree with. I will leave the judging of non-christians to God like the bible says. Love is the most important thing. So many christians remove love from christianity.